Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VFTSX (Vanguard FTSE Social Index Fund Investor Shares)

edit: Oops, that was non-responsive, since it's a total market fund not an S&P fund. Sorry, but leaving it here anyway.

SPYX is what I've been wanting to move into (but don't have access to in my 401k). S&P 500 minus fossil reserve owning companies (my shorthand interpretation).

VFTSX (Vanguard FTSE Social Index Fund Investor Shares)

edit: Oops, that was non-responsive, since it's a total market fund not an S&P fund. Sorry, but leaving it here anyway.

Actually there’s a fund named SPYX that is the S&P 500 with fossil fuel companies removed. In fact, I I have all 15% ;-) of my non-Tesla investments, in this particular fund, plus QQQ, which is the NASDAQ (technology) index fund.

Elon said quarter over quarter revenue increases would be tough for Q1, not that revenue itself would be bad. ( And that was X months ago when GF3 timing was unknown)
You're talking about what he actually said and probably meant, I was talking about the market's perception of what he said and meant. :)

SPYX is what I've been wanting to move into (but don't have access to in my 401k). S&P 500 minus fossil reserve owning companies (my shorthand interpretation).
Depending on your specific 401k, it should be possible to move money out of it and into an IRA where you can do what you want, while continuing to contribute to the 401k. (I used to be a trustee of a $2B 401k plan... it was certainly possible for ours.)

On the FSD side of things, the latest update includes this.

Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a stop sign, in addition to stop lights, while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car.

To me this reads like the beta/training version for NAV on city streets. Surely Tesla is monitoring cars for the situation where the car detects a stoplight/sign and the driver doesn't stop (false positive) and situations where it doesn't detect it (or at least not on time) and the driver does stop the car. So best case that means NAV on streets is 3 months out?

Edit. I got the update last night. It also includes "more assertive" lane changes using NAV on autopilot so I'm interested to test that out this afternoon.

I'm on the Tri-motor upgrade path as well.
Damn you Tesla...always improving.

Me too. One of the reasons I chose the tri-motor was that this would give me an extra year to gather resources, and maybe a year for them to work out any issues with manufacturing and delivering the dual-motor before they made me a tri-motor.

Depending on your specific 401k, it should be possible to move money out of it and into an IRA where you can do what you want, while continuing to contribute to the 401k. (I used to be a trustee of a $2B 401k plan... it was certainly possible for ours.)

I appreciate the info. My research into my company's 401k is that it doesn't have a rollover provision. I'll need to retire / leave my current company in order to create a rollover event.

In practice, it is either an intentional or unintentional nudge encouraging me to leave :)

Speaking of German incentives, what ever happened to the limit on vehicle length designed to exclude Model 3? Was that ever a real thing, or just a rumor? If anyone could share a link about it or a search term I could use to find articles it would be greatly appreciated.

The length thing was an idea by some German auto maker which never made it anywhere (and was blown out of proportion here IMHO). Don´t have a link handy, sorry.

Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a stop sign, in addition to stop lights, while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car.

To me this reads like the beta/training version for NAV on city streets. Surely Tesla is monitoring cars for the situation where the car detects a stoplight/sign and the driver doesn't stop (false positive) and situations where it doesn't detect it (or at least not on time) and the driver does stop the car. So best case that means NAV on streets is 3 months out?

Edit. I got the update last night. It also includes "more assertive" lane changes using NAV on autopilot so I'm interested to test that out this afternoon.
That is certainly the best way to roll it out because there are many edge cases.

Me too. One of the reasons I chose the tri-motor was that this would give me an extra year to gather resources, and maybe a year for them to work out any issues with manufacturing and delivering the dual-motor before they made me a tri-motor.
Kind of the opposite for me. I put a dual motor in because I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait the extra year for the 500 miles. Now that they are saying both soon, there's no need to get a 300 mile when you can get a 500 mile version. (I don't really care about the three motor part, just the range).

Your car may warn you in some cases if it detects that you are about to run a stop sign, in addition to stop lights, while Autosteer is in use. This is not a substitute for an attentive driver and will not stop the car

This is an advance that could save lives. If Tesla can perfect this I wouldn’t be surprised to see this capability required in new cars eventually.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Highlights of this page in the "Investors Thread"
  • Elon's testing FSD technology on false positives
  • One guy's ordering the truck with 3 motors
  • Two guys arguing about interpreting a post 3 pages back
  • Some US employers let you rollover 401ks into IRAs
  • The German govt is trying to unfairly support domestic EV manufacturers

Tesla's progress towards FSD isn't relevant to share price? TIL today.

• Meta posts about the posts in this thread

:)

I got this in the mail the other day.
They forgot to add the pertinent info ...so I added it for them.

Stealers.jpg