Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I am just not vindictive enough. Let's just end this by saying : 'Go Tesla':cool:

Vindication? Naaahh.
ENDing. As in, Ender, as in that book...

SparkNotes said:
Ender does not wish to cause harm to anyone, yet when he is confronted with a pack of students led by the bully Stilson, Ender knows what he has to do.
...he represents the best that a human being can be, given the context. There is no part of him that desires control, and when he has it, he wishes only to avoid the abuses that he sees others commit. But Ender learns that in life we are sometimes forced to play games that we would rather not play, and that sometimes winning must be second to nothing else.
Ender's Game | SparkNotes
What ...are the stakes? Sincere question.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I’m in too.
784551D3-5495-4B85-B62C-8E566D365A7D.jpeg

The distance from Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan to Almaty,Kazakhstan is 1255 km or 786 miles.

Tesla is going to need a few stations in between.

You can thank Sacha Baron Cohen for making Elon think installing Superchargers in Kazakhstan is hilarious.

For Kazakhstan the film "Borat" used scenes from rural Romania, so one can really use very little (of anything actually) from that film.

I know everyone's focused on TSLA today, but this morning Rivian announced another $1B+ funding round. I'm starting to think they may get things rolling in 2020...

Can someone explain how they have no product on the market, yet they were founded over a decade ago (at some month in 2009)???

Even if they execute EVERYTHING with absolute perfection and brilliance from here on out, how can they catch up ... ?

Back in the 1980s there was a game called Car Wars that was set 50 years in the future and posited that gasoline was depleted and cars ran on electricity -- and were equipped with flamethrowers, machine guns, and so on. I read about electric, but the information I had at the time said that an EV would be a van with the cargo taken up by the required batteries.

The years go by and the Tesla Roadster made a splash. I and my friends oohed and aah ed over it, but it was a toy for the wealthy. Sure, you could have a quick electric car, but it wasn't practical. I knew that it was to fund the development of another car, but that was all pie-in-the-sky and, more importantly, in the future.

Then I heard about the model 3 on its launch and... wow! That looked good. But no matter how I sliced it, we couldn't buy one. $35k might be the ASP for a car, but the most I'd ever spent on one was ~$8k and usually quite a bit less than that. I ached for it, but still too expensive and unrealistic.

I more or less forgot about Tesla as time continued to slip by. Then Musk made his infamous tweet and it once again entered my consciousness. I started reading up on the company, discovered TMC, and that the Model 3 was in fact being made, though there were serious production issues. It was obvious that 1) this was a company worth supporting and 2) it was lined up to make money once things got sorted out. While I couldn't afford the car, buying stock was something I could do.

At this point I should point out that not only had I never purchased stock, but I was convinced that that stock market is, in effect, rigged against retail investors. But I wanted a piece of this action. I wanted to be able to tell my children that I had invested in Tesla, that I had invested in their future. But the proposed take private was a cloud hanging over this: if it went private I'd be out. Still, getting in and hoping for the best seemed the only thing to do.

So I bought shares for the first time ever. Two months later I threw all caution to the wind and ordered an M3MR. I continued to buy $TSLA whenever I could. My finances are... limited. And they became tighter with making payments for a car. But I still picked up shares as the price did the then-unthinkable and dropped below first $300 (I remember posts here saying that $280 was a bargain, hah!), then $200. As much as I dislike the shorts I could never have bought as many shares as I have if it had not been for their manipulations.

And here we are, some 14 months after my first stock investment, engendered by Musk's stated intention to go private at $420 and the price is holding above that. But instead of being bought out I'm still a share holder and have more shares than I had dared imagine. I'd always reckoned on working until I died, but now there's a light (far down the tunnel still) that maybe I will actually be able to retire. And have something for my kids, too.

Here's to $420, and funding secured!

In Norway. So we can get some Teslas to without the Netherlands grabbing them all for themselves.

What were Tesla thinking letting the ships go there with the cars?

:D

Actually, Norway is flush with money. So the Norwegian government can just offer Tesla a near-zero interest loan that fully funds GF6 in Norway. Also, Norwegian electricity is 100% renewable (100+ % because Norway is a net electricity exporter).

Everybody wins!

Can someone explain how they have no product on the market, yet they were founded over a decade ago (at some month in 2009)???

Even if they execute EVERYTHING with absolute perfection and brilliance from here on out, how can they catch up ... ?

"catching up" is only an intellectually disingenuous short/media narrative

What Rivian has had going for it, is that they look like the most promising of the EV startups. Their product looks appealing to many, and seemed to have the advantage of going for a high-price and as of yet untouched part of the market for EVs, pickups and pickup based SUVs (now far less clearly an advantage with the less expensive more capable Cybrtruck revealed). Rivian also had appeal due to very big pocketed funders in Amazon and Ford.

Startup EV makers have the advantage of avoiding the ICE incumbent issue of taking their profitable ICE business from a cash generator to a money pit right when they need cash to ramp up a new EV business. Startup EV makers can just run straight to EVs at full speed.

so, there have been reasons to find Rivian intriguing, but, framing it as some kind of Tesla replacement on the way, that was just agenda driven misinformation.