Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are green because I decided to hedge my bets and sell 2/4 of my 12/27 calls. You are all welcome. ;)
I’ve had trouble deciding whether Jonas is a whore to TSLA bear clients, or just desperately wants to be the smartest guy in the room, able to elucidate an uber bull and uber bear case, creatively and outlandishly.

But this isn’t the first example of the timing of a report that reeks of manipulation.

He’s a whore.

Merry Christmas.
He seems to want the headlines. Hence the double speak about "possibly hitting $10" and then the next day talking about how it might go to 400 etc. I guess he thinks that way he can always claim that he was right.

Same here, thinking how to invest new fund in Jan. Are you buying call options or shares? I am thinking 2022 Jan $600 call.

Buying Shares. I currently have a significant amount of shares with an avg basis of $208. Adding more in Jan in the $400 range is still a bargain in my opinion. Any dry powder that arrives in 2020 is going into TSLA shares.

As TradingInvest stated, Options are dangerous. It might look easy now as many, including myself have made money during this run, but most of the time, it is a losing game. Do we know if we have hit the top now, NO. No one knows...it is a very tough decision to make and there are so many factors that are out of your control. We have gone from about $180 to over $419 in just 6 months...if you were playing call options and buying stock, you did very well. However, if you bought stock and were playing call options at around 360 last August was it? when Elon was thinking of taking TSLA private at $420, and I was certainly one all for it, buying shares on the way up to $380+, not options luckily, but, if you were buying short term call options, you lost everything. Who would have thought it was going down as low as it did March to June?

So, this might look easy now, but learn everything you can about options, because most people lose money. If you buy stock in a company you believe in and you are LONG and it goes down, you have lost nothing if you don’t sell. I was tempted to buy options late last year especially after the 3rd and 4th Q results, but I bought stock instead, even as it was going down hoping it would turn around, and it has so far! .....now, onto $4000! Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and Happy New Year everyone.
I didn’t say options are dangerous. I said margin is dangerous. They are very different.

William O’Neil also said margin is dangerous, but he used it all the time, because he knows how to use it correctly.

Option is a powerful tool. I like everything about Options. Options have their own risks. People who are new to options should study it carefully. Karen wrote a great piece on this topic a few weeks ago.

I plan to keep my long term Calls and plan to increase in case there is another good entry.

That’s a nicely coordinated short attack on a day with very light trading: Jonas + MMD. Why would an analyst publish a note on Tesla on Christmas Eve?!?

Even worse, publish a note to reiterate. Nothing new, and was already said about three weeks back, if I remember well.

Analcysts at their finest!

Edit: to answer your rhetorical question, of course AJ has "publish" this ground-breaking research today because he knows it's an early close with traditionally lower volume - more impact for his BS.

Last edited:
OK, let's hit it with a sledgehammer and see what happens...
Naturally. And if someone does it, its still good advertising for the real cyber truck.

The cyber truck is a hit. You can point at the reservations as evidence. You can point at the knockoffs as evidence. Where's the article talking about someone doing an F-150 raptor knockoff? There isn't. But the cyber truck is, and will be, in the news and in social media. Two years of buzz before the real thing arrives.

Near/mid term SP does not depend on any AJ BS, but:
.Q4 delivery numbers - 1st week of Jan
.Conf Call -- Jan/Feb
.MIC deliveries
.MY (c/c should clear up timeline)
.Battery Day -- Q1/Q2
.Let's not forget FSD roll out happening now ...

Do Auto companies make Batteries, Energy Products, Chips, AI N/N's ?

Once again Market moving too much on AJ BS, just because he wears pants made by Morgan Stanley ...
FSD is so exciting. I think it is bigger than any other application of AI to date. Clearly they are making rapid progress with features just as Elon promised. Fixing the trailing 9s is just a matter of data and time. Even if you don't have TSLA stock it is exciting. Our cities are going to be changed. This will affect everyone. When you combine it with the custom chip and battery advances, I can't help but geek out over the direction this is going.

I suspect AJ's impact is limited by how many times he has already cried wolf. I think it would be hilarious if Elon let him ask a question at the next earnings and then gave a 'no more bonehead questions' answer to him. Personally I loved it when Elon was trolling more on Twitter - more entertaining...

As for battery day, I don't expect anything other than them laying out their plan, and some dry battery electrode related stuff. It might even seem underwhelming, but over a period of 5 years, a path to huge battery capacity will be the backbone of the company. It is important but predictable.

MIC is important and predictable too imo. They executed well, and 2020 is going to be ramp up and good margins.

FSD on the other hand is so much more important, and so much more unpredictable, and completely unaccounted for in a 420 share price. This latest release is a very big deal. It shows Elon's timelines for FSD are somewhat accurate. The more I start thinking about FSD the more bullish I get. I know some of the regular well known posters here are skeptical about FSD timelines - even thinking it will take 10 years. @KarenRei I think was skeptical... someone who is pretty technical. I remember @neroden was too. I wonder what the consensus is now on FSD? I think it is a huge mistake to not believe Elon on his FSD estimates now that he is taking a more conservative line on his estimates. And of course there is a lot of upside to the SP even without robotaxis, just from things like NOA. The thing about robotaxis though, is that they will not get priced into the SP until after they are invented. The concept is too foreign and analysts (and investors) are too technically limited and reactionary, for the most part.

If we are FSD feature complete in 6 months from now, and we allow a year for training, and another 6 months for regulatory approval in progressive US states like California, then my best guess is robotaxis rapidly scaling out across the US by the start of 2022. China following closely behind and EU a year after that.

Also, from a usability POV, voice commands is pretty sweet.

While informative in general the page does not answer my specific question.

To rephrase my question: If someone (e.g. on TMC) posts:
"For premium Y I bought call options with strike price X"
- is the amount Y then per contract (i.e. typically per 100 shares) or per share?

In principle (and at least without knowing the context, especially the expiration date) the range of the premium could be so large that one (novice) cannot in general infer whether Y is per share or per contract.

Usually per share, like the listed quotes are.
If the number it ends in .00, then maybe they are talking for all 100.
Profit and loss could go either way, but likely on the whole contract.

• Helpful
Reactions: lklundin
While informative in general the page does not answer my specific question.

To rephrase my question: If someone (e.g. on TMC) posts:
"For premium Y I bought call options with strike price X"
- is the amount Y then per contract (i.e. typically per 100 shares) or per share?

In principle (and at least without knowing the context, especially the expiration date) the range of the premium could be so large that one (novice) cannot in general infer whether Y is per share or per contract.
In most articles containing option trading examples the premium quoted is per share, to keep calculations easy (many people find it easier to use mental math when comparing strategies if the costs per option are directly comparable to the costs per share). I personally always look at the total amounts only (that is, I look at the price per contract -- 100 shares), because I want to "feel" the trade against the backdrop of my entire portfolio.

I didn’t say options are dangerous. I said margin is dangerous. They are very different.

William O’Neil also said margin is dangerous, but he used it all the time, because he knows how to use it correctly.

Option is a powerful tool. I like everything about Options. Options have their own risks. People who are new to options should study it carefully. Karen wrote a great piece on this topic a few weeks ago.

I plan to keep my long term Calls and plan to increase in case there is another good entry.
I've been dabbling but this past year have focused on super cheap (less than $100 per contract) options and while those have paid very well, those available now seem really expensive. I'm waiting until they get cheap again, and if they don't then my much larger equity account will be happy. :)

• Love
Reactions: Fact Checking
Ok. I will bite. What did you do to allow you to retire so early?

I invested all spare cash at a relatively young age without diversifying and lived like a college student when I could have afforded to live a middle-class life. I bought only used motorcycles ($300-$1200 each) exclusively for the first 5 years as a motorist. My first 4 cars cost $800- $1500 each. Instead of buying things or hiring people I did it myself. I rebuilt the engines of two of my motorcycles and one car (all reliable, practical cycles and cars that excelled at their purpose) and, before buying my first house lived in low-rent places, mostly with roommates. I didn't own a TV until later in life. I dropped out of college because I didn't want the debt and I didn't think it was a good investment considering I didn't aspire to work for someone else. But I kept living on a college student's budget.

Early retirement was made possible from long-term investing all spare cash in high growth, non-dividend paying (at the time) companies like SBUX, MU, MSFT, QCOM, etc. It's the compound growth from being in the right stock with concentrated positions and not selling a single share until it's time. I did not day trade or do much buying and selling. I really didn't care about money but I knew I wanted enough that I wouldn't have to think about it. Profit-taking early and portfolio balancing is for weak people who are too attached to their money and afraid to lose some in the name of making more (or those who are retired and don't have time to earn any losses back).

I’ve had trouble deciding whether Jonas is a whore to TSLA bear clients, or just desperately wants to be the smartest guy in the room, able to elucidate an uber bull and uber bear case, creatively and outlandishly.

But this isn’t the first example of the timing of a report that reeks of manipulation.

He’s a whore.

Merry Christmas.
You are insulting whores. They deserve some respect.

Jonas on the other hand, is questionable. His $10 speech early this year made it very clear to me that he is the most malicious manipulator of all. The problem is not the $10 target. When he said Apple and Amazon will not buy Tesla, I knew he was lying. He was trying to break Tesla at a critical time and almost succeeded. If he succeeded, Tesla investors would have transferred many billion dollars to the shorts and Tesla’s progress would have been slowed down dramatically.

At $180 many investors were facing margin Calls. Tons of stop loss orders were placed between 170 and 180. TSLA almost visited $140 the next day. Some members were close to losing their lifetime savings.

Today it seems Jonas can’t get access to Tesla’s Investor Relations. That’s telling something.