Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I worry with their stock options all Tesla employees are going to retire and there will be nobody left! Lol.
That will be the next short thesis. Workers will be so rich from their TSLA that no one will want to make cars and quit. Then Tesla will have to rehire people like the sabotage guy and then bankwuptsy. It makes perfect sense.

1. Margin is dangerous. It may force you to sell when it's the best time to buy.
2. Options have pros and cons. Fully understand it before getting heavy on options. It's not free lunch.
3. The best time to buy Calls is at the bottom - assume you figured out how to tell where is the bottom. Another good time to buy Calls is a breakout after a nice setup. If you delay entry, your risk increases and you will pay several fold more than the other guy who bought at the correct point. If you find a short squeeze, buying Calls on it's way up still might work.

I like to do options using free money (dividend or trading profits). This way mentally it's easier to handle the ups and downs.
Great tips! I am learning a lot about options on YouTube :)
Yep same here, I am using share profit (from Tesla) to buy options. Just bought some today for 2022 Jan $600 call.

I have only experienced one option loss (50% loss after cybertruck event) and I was able to sell it quickly. Did you have any case that when it is going down, there is no liquidity to sell it to cut loss?

This is the real tuition payment. The hard lessons are learned when the money you had worked hard for just disappears. A general recommendation to new/young investors - feel the pain before you bet big.

I am a bit embarrassed to share my disastrously painful education lesson; Myself and 2 other ex-employee buddies of where we worked, had all recently left the firm ... in 2008. We decided we were going to take our 401k savings and play options, big. We decided to play the VIX.

Well, the stars aligned for us with the timing and decision-making to do that ... I should say, DEATHSTARS.

The time: Precisely the month when the market melted, Sept 2008. Remember that first massive day drop of the market by like 750 points?

I got a call from my broker ... I owed them $2200 ... my $200K+ was wiped out with the options, as of course the VIX exploded in the other direction we bet on. Yeah, that phone call from the broker was like a slap in the face by Thor's hammer. Talk about adding insult to injury. I literally wished I had technology to grab his throat through my phone speaker and rip it out.

Needless to say, the following ~6-7 years for all 3 of us was complete radio silence in the stock market, we were so depressed and shocked by what happened we didn't want to even read financial news for those many years.

Good news is, I went back to work for companies that gave nice 401k matching and now I definitely have exceeded what I lost, and what I had lost was accumulated by yours truly starting in his early 20s and ended up losing it as I entered my 30s. So still young, no huge disaster I guess.

But yeah, that left an I-can-still-taste-it sourness in my mouth to play options ever again, especially when I burned myself multiple times buying call options in ... AAPL (!!!) during the 2000s ... go figure. I knew what's up, was just too early to Apple's party lol.

Anyway, 1 of those buddies is supposedly now retired early with 3M or so in crypto gains cuz he got in to that world 2015, apparently with mostly XRP I think. And he moved to Puerto Rico. Good for him if that's all true (not close with him).

Well, if there is ANY confidence I have in investing in some options, it's Tesla calls ... and yes, as others stated here, I will *ONLY* buy them after TSLA has a nice correction downwards ... we shall see. For now, I'm happy to have bought the vast majority of my shares in it during the FUD period of May/Jun this year.

CNBC has an "analyst" coming on shortly to tell us why the price is about to "pullback" because it is so overvalued. Guess they ran out of 50,000 ways to discuss Boeing committing Harakiri but still a great buy and are now back to no matter how well Tesla executes its going bankwupt.

Apparently they saw the pop to $424 and thought it would look stupid to have Jonas up there. Didn't even run the segment!

ATH at the close?
c44.png

Apparently they saw the pop to $424 and thought it would look stupid to have Jonas up there. Didn't even run the segment!
I was wondering if I hallucinated the promo. I guess even they have a line of ridiculousness they won't cross.

Today is yet another win for us longs. With a shortened trading day and low volume the shorts tried to drive down the SP and failed. Maybe that's what his appearance was supposed to help with. There will be pullbacks as people take profits but I think 2020 will be another year to successfully advance the mission of saving mankind from itself. What makes it sweeter is Elon doesn't really seem to care about the wealth he is generating.