Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
play your cards right. Things don’t go up and up. Consider taking profits and lowering risk when you feel like it’s silly.

I agree with the first two statements, strongly disagree with the third.

"Silly" is not a well-defined term. People have left millions on the table by taking profits when they thought their gains were "silly". Or when they thought the share price was "silly" high. If the underlying company has a great future, it's better to err on the side of riding it over the top. Because there are too many false summits along the way. If you sell at one of those, the gains you miss out on will be huge.

To all the folks on here who have been laughed at and ridiculed by many for their investment and conviction in Tesla. It’s been a rough year but cheers to all of us.

play your cards right. Things don’t go up and up. Consider taking profits and lowering risk when you feel like it’s silly.
Thanks, I think I'll wait some more. In heinsight, all my day trading didn't amount to much and I held about 15% more TSLA than today at one time. I thought the truck was "Silly" so I sold some just before this runup. Therefore, I left money on the table and should have left it alone. So no, only sell if you need to IMHO.

CNBC has an "analyst" coming on shortly to tell us why the price is about to "pullback" because it is so overvalued. Guess they ran out of 50,000 ways to discuss Boeing committing Harakiri but still a great buy and are now back to no matter how well Tesla executes its going bankwupt.

When the stock is going up, buying Calls seems easy. It doesn't matter if you are using Margin or not, if the stock crashes like it did from December 2018 to Jun 2019, and you are holding LEAPS, you will get killed. I lost $500,000 in Jan 2020 LEAPS with that drop. Luckily, I was smart AND LUCKY and sold stock around 200 and bought 2021 LEAPS which went up and erased my 2020 LEAPS losses. I can't tell you how painful that drop was. In the future, I will only buy LEAPS after a massive drop like we had 6 months ago. I will NEVER buy them again near an ATH. Sure, the stock might go up, but if macros turn against you, or Tesla has some setbacks, the SP will drop and you will lose big, because the time decay will start to kill you too. Just my 2 cents based on my agony this last year.
This is the real tuition payment. The hard lessons are learned when the money you had worked hard for just disappears. A general recommendation to new/young investors - feel the pain before you bet big.

Each investor should have a chosen investment philosophy. One size does not fit all.
My primary rule is to buy only something I believe in, and belief for me depends on lots of analysis.
I do not ever sell unless I no longer believe in the security I have purchased.
That means I have sold infrequently, but when I do it tends to be a complete divestiture.
The only exception is that I do sell whenever I really need cash. Then I sell some fo the least-favored security I hold at the time.
In years past I dealt with derivatives and FX. I no longer do that because I do not have the patience to carefully manage volatility.
It simply makes little sense to me to recommend my choices for anyone else.

I think it's becoming apparent to everybody that Elon sought and successfully managed to change the game vs WallStreet, playng globally when they thought they had his financial balls: Chanos&MSM bashed TSLA for months pushing him to raise capital, and he was already all over the globe: China, speaking with Chinese government and banks. And now Berlin.
I'm sure there are some other aces up his sleeves, but this is a whole other game that Chanos&co aren't able to play.
They also had this one card (they'll probably have lobby and regulation, at least in US vs FSD), but they couldn't control the lazyness of other OEMs, and now Tesla has the best:
  1. battery tech
  2. product
  3. path to FSD
  4. economies of scale on EVs
  5. supercharging network
  6. platform for software updates (meaning profit with software margins...)
while at the same time having healty cash flow and financials. I'm not even thinking about TE and new products (although I'm salivating for the Tesla Semi, I want a f***load of them flooding the streets asap).
Apart from macros, recession, Trump, or a VW wildcard like a real, competitive product, 2020 will be spectacular.

CNBC has an "analyst" coming on shortly to tell us why the price is about to "pullback" because it is so overvalued. Guess they ran out of 50,000 ways to discuss Boeing committing Harakiri but still a great buy and are now back to no matter how well Tesla executes its going bankwupt.

looks like misinformation campaign really wants any Xmas gathering Tesla talk to go from,

“Wow, Tesla looks unstoppable!”

to,

above, replied to with,

“I don’t know. You see it went down today(/yesterday)? Morgan Stanley guy said it is way overvalued as an automaker, which it is, and it’s only a matter of time for market to cut it in half where it should be based on how automakers are valued.”

Congratulations Longs! The intestinal fortitude is beginning to pay off. :D

I can't see the institutional shorts giving up easily plus the MM have been making way too much money on the volatility to walk away from their cash cow. So, what Tesla "crisis" will their hacks start talking about to direct the story away from the, presumably, good production/delivery and earnings reports?

She 'claims' to be away from home. But we know what's really going on...Amazon is using all the AWS servers to handle their holiday rush, leaving little left for 'differential evolution of fluids' (aka KarenBot).
She mentioned being with "family". Odd, the first thing I thought of was the movie I, Robot. Hopefully her programing err I mean thoughts don't change regarding the 3 rules. :eek: