Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t need 4 motors to tank turn. Tesla already has software that changes power to individual tires - called traction control.

Turning around the center of the vehicle (rotate in place) requires one side to drive forward and one side to drive backward. Locking the brakes on one corner only gives you a rotation around that wheel.
A tri-motor cybertruck or plaid S/ roadster can turn one rear wheel forward and one backwards and rotate around the midpoint of the rear suspension. Close to a tank turn, but requires roughly double the room.

Edit: then there is the poor man's version, parking brake plus front wheel drive.

I have purchased 850c for the purpose of observing the insanity.
View attachment 493367
Not actually sure I really want to hold it.
You have 2 years before you have to decide. Hang onto it until you get to a point where you feel you made a decent profit and sell if you like. The stock could very well be 1k by jan 2022. (or it could be 500 ;) )

I just picked up a March 2021 call at 600 myself. I'm not used to gambling 3k on a single trade but I think 2020 will be a banner year for the company.

Reactions: SpaceCash and kbM3
Loup Ventures 2020 Predictions: Loup Ventures' 2020 Tech Predictions | Loup Ventures

Tesla Will Exceed Street Deliveries Estimate of 463k (by Gene Munster). With the addition of China Gigafactory, which just started producing Model 3, along with the release of Model Y in the fall, we believe the company can grow deliveries by 28% in 2020 compared to the overall auto industry that will likely be flat. We expect Tesla to increase deliveries quarter-over-quarter, giving credibility to the belief that the electric car theme is here today and opening up a vast addressable market — 97% of cars sold today are internal combustion. If our prediction is correct, shares of TSLA will continue to move higher. Tesla is a pure-play investment in the undeniable truth that the future of the automotive industry is both electric and autonomous. We expect Tesla to exit next year with above 60% US EV market share, compared to about 75% today. As a point of reference, in 2018 GM lead the overall US auto market with 17% share.

So he's expecting 105,700 for deliveries this quarter (28% less 463k, minus what's already sold this year).

I sold some shares by mistake at 400 and I couldn't re-enter. My funds finally cleared and have 20k to buy stock in my traditional IRA ans I am not sure if should buy now or wait for a better price. Any thoughts?
Personally I'd dollar cost average a bit. The stock will either rise, or drop in the next week so some now, some in a week etc. Timing is such a gamble and owning an individual stock is already super risky so I at least like to average out my price.

But of course don't listen to me as I don't know anything really. :)

Why would they start deliveries - and the relevant amortisation expense - with one day left in the quarter? It just doesn't make any sense to ding the quarterly margins that way. This is especially true now that Tesla has secured a new loan in China so that production assets can be financed and not lead to a poor cash position.

I am far from an accountant, but... Let's say they have the choice to recognize the expense in Q4, in which they should have huge sales and post a (perhaps modest) profit and meet their guidance, or in Q1, which, seasonally, is known to be a drag. Why take the risk of deferring the expense to Q1 and intentionally making those numbers worse?

I sold some shares by mistake at 400 and I couldn't re-enter. My funds finally cleared and have 20k to buy stock in my traditional IRA ans I am not sure if should buy now or wait for a better price. Any thoughts?
I believe we are expecting a slight sell off at the beginning of year. Sentiment is that investors are waiting to take profit so they can get taxed in 2021 versus 2020. But no telling what news will come. If deliveries are huge it could be a catalyst to go even higher.

I like your thinking
On your comment, "not actually sure I really want to hold it". Can you elaborate?
Well, if the run continues, 850c has a good chance of appreciating some.

Making a short term bet for the same amount of money can give you more profit, but you can also lose 100%.
Say 1/17/20
Screenshot_20191227-101025_Firstrade.jpg

I am not feeling good about losing $2k on this bet and would rather take 10-20% in case the stock goes up (without the fear of losing all). If it does not go up, I have more time to wait for further appreciation to recoup losses.

However, I don't have a lot of conviction about sp exceeding 870 in 2 years. Feels like 50/50. So, may not hold it, but more likely sell for gains to pay for other less out of the money calls...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: The Accountant
Hi StealthP3D.
I hold many Jan. 2021 $690 calls. I am lost as to what to do about them because they grew to 60% of my total portfolio and I am not sure what the hell to do at this point. I don't like options that are so out of the money with 1 year expire to be 60% of my portfolio. At the same time it hurts me to even think about selling them because I am waiting on SP 500 inclusion and I think TSLA will reach 550-700 a share in 2020. Whats your philosophy regarding these particular options? I am glad to hear that someone else is in this position.

One reason why you'd want to sell the call options you hold is because after such a long runup, the multiple to the stock price is no longer the same as before. So if you still want to earn the same multiple as before, you'd need to sell and "rollup" as some would say.

And since you are selling, you'll have to put some aside for taxes and since you are thinking about taxes, you might as well think about how much of your total portfolio is in risky asset vs how much is in stable asset.

Personally, I always prefer to sell ultra risky assets for cashflow. As a business owner (and you do have a side business right? Every young upstanding person should have a side business going), I plow 50% of extra cash generated (extra cash as in all profit minus cost of operations) back into the business while the other 50% goes back into investments. This my friend, is the biggest reason to always prefer cashflow generation.

A lot of the ultra bulls are not all in with risk assets even though it might seem so from what they are saying. Even a person like TT007 is probably only 50% all in since he most likely has a house and retirement fund. There were a few who leveraged their HELOC from their house to achieve true 100% risk and you can probably really say these people are all in risk asset. Search around on this forum, but not many will openly say so.

A great rule of thumb is 90 - your age as the percentage of assets in risk assets... sometimes these risk assets can be housing. I would say, any risk asset is something that moves by 10% or more in a year that allows you to leverage up (with mortgage, a house is sometimes 20x leverage). Non risk assets are cash generating items like GIC, bonds, cash generating assets.

Within risk assets, it is up to you how much you want to allocate to super risky assets that has volatility greater than 50%. I personally divide it in half and depending on where we are in a business cycle, I increase/decrease the allocation here. Currently we are 12 years into a bullrun from 2008. Near the end of a cycle that happens to coincide with an election bull run that will get propped up by a president heading into re-election. Naturally I decrease the allocation to super risky asset as the opportunity come up. If this were 2009. Heck, I can tell you what I did in 2009. I went to the bank, and took out a HELOC. Then I bought options with them. Banks stocks, Bank options, TSLA stocks, TSLA options. 4 out of 10 bank stocks I bought went to 0, the rest survived. TSLA, well. you know what happened. I was 12 years younger, I had nothing to lose, the business cycle is at its trough. It was a no-brainer. Did I enjoy that 3 years of extreme pain? No.

Sure, you can go 200% leveraged all the time and it might work out. But your chance increases if you pay attention to business cycles as well as your own circumstances.