Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude, I love Elon but that was some plaid level nerd spasm, not a groove in sight.

You have obviously never seen Bill Gates or Steve Balmer dance in front of shareholders.:eek:

They make Elon look like the King of Groove! not kidding!

Now you're probably wondering about Tim Cook. Don't bother - he doesn't dance.

Last edited:
Hey boys we poked Iran in the eye so they're prolly gonna poke us back. I want you boys to stay cozy in your hardened bunkers tonight!

Also thank Iran for doing it at 130 am when no one's out and about, that was likely on purpose too.

I'm sure it was intentional - since Trump told them every U.S. life taken would be responded to. They aren't stupid. They are just saving face with this missile attack.

Most forget that they attacked our embassy and killed an American. We responded to that - we didn't randomly kill their terror general.

I think it's all even now and everyone can swing their dick proudly.

Folks - a little turmoil in the middle east - hopefully without loss of lives, is what we REALLY need. Oil has been too cheap for too long. We need another period like 2007-2010 when gas was around $4-$5 a gallon. You think $470 is a good SP, just wait til gas hits $4 a gallon again. Tesla could sell cars for any price they name!

We needed something to shake up these cheap oil prices, and we just got a gift. Come on oil prices, do your thing!

everything is relative, but in many countries gasoline is priced a lot higher than $4 a gallon already and EVs have yet to be adopted in any significance. Might be different in the US of course, but in general it’s purchase price incentives and/or penalties on ICE cars that lead to large EV adoption.

After hours trading in TSLA ended at the beginning of the current hour. But trading in stock index futures has continued and they've had another recovery spurt.

Apparently the missiles hit nowhere near Americans.

Stock index ETFs and futures have now recovered the large majority of their early after-hours losses.

Last edited:
some have speculated that TSLA is overpriced, since it is priced higher than the 20th century car companies.

If that comparison made sense, wouldn’t we need to add the value of the dealers to the value?

as a wild guess, the average dealer has a value of $10M, including inventory. For Chevy alone, with ~5000 dealers, wouldn’t this add another $50B to the value?

The constant market cap comparison to other automakers by financial media is overly simplistic and meaningless. The way to value a stock is on its own fundamentals (growth rate, margins, potential future profits etc) and two stocks should be compared on these metrics, rather than simply on market cap size.

The constant market cap comparison to other automakers by financial media is overly simplistic and meaningless. The way to value a stock is on its own fundamentals (growth rate, margins, potential future profits etc) and two stocks should be compared on these metrics, rather than simply on market cap size.
Just like amazon is worth more than Walmart.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yes. Pretty much exactly what she said. With the price above $350 they convert to stock shares essentially and they will pay off $4 billion of debt in the next year or two due to this. So if you are worried about the balance sheet this essentially cleans it up a lot!

How does the conversion work? Does the debt convert to stock at the value specified in the loan or at the current market value? So would the new shares issued be 4B / 350 or 4B / current market close price?

Thank you!

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Looks like the Iran/US conflict is over for now and there could be a good macro day tomorrow in relief, allowing the TSLA rally to continue.

Reports suggest no casualties and Trump tweeted: "all is well"

Trump later followed up that message with a tweet directed at Iranian leader Rouhani, saying:

“Missed me! Missed me! Now you gotta kiss me!”

Analysts expect a fierce meme in response to this taunt by Iran’s elite Twitter Guard.

Brand new sentence right here, folks.

I think @JRP3 was practicing wordsmithing without a degree in wordsmithing. I vote we crucify him right here. Even if you enjoy expressing yourself in ways that you lack talent, you should refrain from subjecting innocent folk to your amateur attempts.:)

And the nerve of that Elon! Funny thing is, his dance brought joy to me because he owned the dance. The professional dancer posted by JRP3 just gave me the creeps with all his weird muscle twitches. I couldn't enjoy it and it seemed he wasn't enjoying it as much as he was just showing off. I made it about 30 seconds.

During the China event, I noticed some things that Elon accomplished that made me realize how hard he works to succeed. Elon didn't do this to gratify himself, he did it because he puts every fiber of his body and mind into making Tesla succeed. This is why it rubs me the wrong way when people make fun of what he's doing.

1) While dancing he successfully projected an air of goofy fun. He knew this would be broadcast around the world. This makes people associate Tesla cars with goofy fun. It counteracts the stodgy, snobbish feeling Tesla detractors try to associate with Teslas. This was no accident - he was working overtime for all our benefit.

2) The event was heavy with factory employees. He knows he has to culture a work environment where workers get along with one another to succeed. During the presentation, he was very gracious to the workers and let them know how much he appreciated them and wanted them to be able to be themselves while working. He said he knows some people like to do quirky things and make their workstations a little quirky. He let them know he understood and shrugged his shoulders while saying, "I mean, well, look at me?" The workers respect Elon giving them their autonomy and make it so they WANT to do a good job. It also sends the message that one worker shouldn't pick on another worker just because they look or act different. Or are nerdy, or not cool. It's to be accepted. Pre-empting employee personality conflicts, making things fun and fine-tuning what it means to work at Tesla G3 are all signs of a brilliant leader.

None of this is accidental. Elon is a brilliant leader which is hard to come by. The event wasn't even designed as an employee event but Elon used it that way. And the quirky dancing was priceless free publicity for Tesla that changes the way potential customers think about the product. I could go on and on but I'll just end it by saying there is a reason why Elon is succeeding. Because he's brilliant, he works harder and longer and smarter than any other CEO. Because he knows the planet depends upon it. Elon gets it.

I dont think he would consider this until one of two things happens:

1. EV adoption is so far underway that it is inevitable that EVs will prevail, even if Tesla dies.
2. There is undeniable evidence that we are in a global crisis that will definitively end the human race were we to stay on Earth, and there is no solution to divert this global crisis.

Elon will surely one day begin selling some modest % of his Tesla stock each year to help fund Mars exploration/colonization. Tesla isn't going to die if he slowly divests this way. If Tesla valuation continues increasing as we expect, he could raise very large amounts each year without going below a stock % that maintains his control.

Reactions: JusRelax
Elon will surely one day begin selling some modest % of his Tesla stock each year to help fund Mars exploration/colonization. Tesla isn't going to die if he slowly divests this way. If Tesla valuation continues increasing as we expect, he could raise very large amounts each year without going below a stock % that maintains his control.

Agreed. I was considering a complete divestiture; selling portions of Tesla to fund Mars colonization without losing control of Tesla will definitely happen.