Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVs (model 3s) are maxed out already and every one will sell if gas is $1 or $10. All high gas prices are going to do is give $$ to Saudis and Russians and put unproductive wells back in play. Oil to zero is the only way.
That's too simplistic. Model 3s are sold out now, but next year? Used market? It takes people years to but a new car. If they decide next month because of expensive gas to buy an EV they might not really be ready for a couple years.

Also, the Saudis won't be getting oil out of a real war starts.

You just described pretty much every politician for the last 50 years, except Ron Paul.

FDR's sons served in World War II. But since then we've had many presidents with only daughters. Shortly before I was drafted and sent to Vietnam, my stepfather suggested that only men over 40 should be subject to the draft. He said that would put an end to trumped-up wars.

Similarly, shorts who recently trimmed their positions (looking at you, Mark Spiegel) may find they will need to soon trim them again.

When he "trims his position", does that mean he has to return a certain number of shares (10% in his most recent post) at today's price? That's been my understanding and if so, how much do you think that chips away at his massive 37% gains the past 9 years?
Interestingly, I think I've made 37% in the past 9 days.

Yeah so let’s punish his kid for what the father did. That’ll really show him!

No ... maybe he would think about his actions and how they affect others before pulling his macho crap ... easy to talk big, as he does when he's never served and no one in his family would be in the line of fire .... that simple.

This from a guy that bragged about committing war crimes (bombing cultural sites) ....

Look this is not a political forum .... I'm gonna drop this.

Apologies to all that had to read this drivel (mine included) ....

FDR's sons served in World War II. But since then we've had many presidents with only daughters. Shortly before I was drafted and sent to Vietnam, my stepfather suggested that only men over 40 should be subject to the draft. He said that would put an end to trumped-up wars.

My father suggested that for a congressman to vote yes to a war, he had to submit the name of one of his children who would lead the charge - or he had to go himself. That would give these warhawks something to thing about.

What is your point?

some have speculated that TSLA is overpriced, since it is priced higher than the 20th century car companies.

If that comparison made sense, wouldn’t we need to add the value of the dealers to the value?

as a wild guess, the average dealer has a value of $10M, including inventory. For Chevy alone, with ~5000 dealers, wouldn’t this add another $50B to the value?

some have speculated that TSLA is overpriced, since it is priced higher than the 20th century car companies.

If that comparison made sense, wouldn’t we need to add the value of the dealers to the value?

as a wild guess, the average dealer has a value of $10M, including inventory. For Chevy alone, with ~5000 dealers, wouldn’t this add another $50B to the value?

Great Point!! I never thought about that.

You're right - Elon's in it for the mission. But there are two missions. One is a Mars colony. And he WILL sell his shares to fund that!

I dont think he would consider this until one of two things happens:

1. EV adoption is so far underway that it is inevitable that EVs will prevail, even if Tesla dies.
2. There is undeniable evidence that we are in a global crisis that will definitively end the human race were we to stay on Earth, and there is no solution to divert this global crisis.

And gas stations, and the oil companies that supply them.

Folks - a little turmoil in the middle east - hopefully without loss of lives, is what we REALLY need. Oil has been too cheap for too long. We need another period like 2007-2010 when gas was around $4-$5 a gallon. You think $470 is a good SP, just wait til gas hits $4 a gallon again. Tesla could sell cars for any price they name!

We needed something to shake up these cheap oil prices, and we just got a gift. Come on oil prices, do your thing!

I guess you have not seen our gas prices:)

No telling what the Orange guy is gonna say tomorrow(I suspect that his advisors eventually got him to shut up and not say anything "To the Nation" this evening), but if you sold tesla stock at the bottom of the after hours dip and this whole thing turns out to be just d*ck wagging and the stock(and stock market)opens up near flat tomorrow...…..:oops::oops::oops::oops:....oops ;)

and solar and battery storage that could impact the energy markets. Think replacements for natural gas peaker plants and backup diesel generators.

No telling what the Orange guy is gonna say tomorrow(I suspect that his advisors eventually got him to shut up and not say anything "To the Nation" this evening), but if you sold tesla stock at the bottom of the after hours dip and this whole thing turns out to be just d*ck wagging and the stock(and stock market)opens up near flat tomorrow...…..:oops::oops::oops::oops:....oops ;)

It'll probably open down and quickly rally back up.:rolleyes:

We need oil to price gasoline out of the market. Idiots will buy giant SUVs and big trucks as long as gas is less than $3 a gallon. When gas moves above $3 a gallon, suddenly, everyone panics and is looking for a way to lower fuel costs. That's why hybrids took off in 2007.

I personally wish gas would go to $6 a gallon and in 6 months, all those irritating F150s would be sitting on "buy her, pay here" car lots begging for ANYONE to buy them. Meanwhile, EVs couldn't be produced fast enough! And WHO would be best positioned to lead the EV charge? Well doh!

Almost as good as a carbon tax (which would provide govt revenue).