Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There they try with the dip. lol

Textbook cognitive dissonance. His mind literally can't accept his massive mistakes so it doubles down on his beliefs.
Yeah, I think its choice supportive bias and cognitive distortion. :oops: (I have an undergraduate degree in Psych)

Some day students will study him at Business School so at least his life wasn't a total waste. :p

Cheers!

Hmm... ;)

V on Twitter

upload_2020-1-9_15-41-20.png

Tesla doesn't have any issues with selling every car they can make, but they are limited by how many cars they can make. Strictly speaking, there is a going to be a pause in production growth when Shanghai is ramped up and Berlin is still not yet operating. Fremont is already operating at maximum capacity, so no production growth is expected from there. Elon has stated cars will not be made in Reno, so once Fremont and Shanghai are both fully operating, that's it for production capacity increase until Berlin is online.

Growth is always going to be "lumpy" in the car business, you build a factory, that takes time, the factory starts working, suddenly there's a jump in yearly production. So trading ranges ought to be a normality for TSLA, and thus far in it's short history that has absolutely been the case, corresponding roughly to periods between new factories opening.

The wild card is I guess the other stuff. Solar and FSD being the big ones. If solar takes off, that's new revenue potential. If FSD becomes a reality, well, we can all start looking for private islands at that point. But you can't count on those, so just think about production of cars for now I suppose.
Are you sure Elon has stated cars will not be made at Reno?

Reactions: UncaNed
Are you sure Elon has stated cars will not be made at Reno?

He's stated just the opposite. They nearly chose GF1 over Fremont for the Model Y. Described the cost-benefit tradeoff as being nearly equivalent between both locations.

The fact that Fremont was chosen for Model Y makes Fremont a more difficult choice for even more vehicle lines, but doesn't change how difficult GF1 is.

Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao [URL='https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/new-federal-self-driving-car-policy-talks-up-governments-safety-role-but-leaves-industry-in-charge/2020/01/08/b35a1918-322f-11ea-a053-dc6d944ba776_story.html']unveiled in a speech at CES a new self-driving car policy that largely allows companies to take the wheel on advancing autonomous vehicle technology with limited intervention from the government. "It should not be the role of the federal government to pick winners or losers," she said.
[/URL]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...heavy-ai-regulation/5e161c0688e0fa32a5149a35/

Volume is nuts. Again.

One of the things that's been steadily a mystery to me over the last 7-8 years of following Tesla - in order to buy a share, you have to find somebody will / eager to sell a share. I can understand why there were buyers for 33M shares yesterday - I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around their being sellers for 33M shares yesterday :)

Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

$TSLA short int is $13.69bn ; 27.82mm shs shorted; 20.79% of float; 0.30% borrow fee. Shs shorted up +464k shs, +1.7%, over last 30 days as price rose +45% & up +132k shs,+0.5%, last week. Shorts down -$2.02bn in January mark-to-market losses after being down -$632mm yesterday.
More evidence that the shorts aren't in it to make money. It's too bad there is no law that requires short positions to be disclosed like long positions are.

Reactions: AZRI11 and humbaba
One of the things that's been steadily a mystery to me over the last 7-8 years of following Tesla - in order to buy a share, you have to find somebody will / eager to sell a share. I can understand why there were buyers for 33M shares yesterday - I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around their being sellers for 33M shares yesterday :)
There's always someone taking profits.

I bet a lot of share owners bought and sold the same shares yesterday...

Market Makers are borrowing out their shares and shorts are selling, probably that's why such a small borrow fee, as marketmakers have a lot of shares.

When a stock moves this far this fast, there are going to be a lot of weak longs. Also lots of longs trying to figure out when to take some profits.

It really isn’t surprising that approaching the round number 500 would cause lots of people to sell some of their position at the first hint of stalling.

But, as you say, there are also a lot of buyers, and if the sentiment continues to stay positive, eventually they push the SP through 500.

When a stock moves this far this fast, there are going to be a lot of weak longs. Also lots of longs trying to figure out when to take some profits.

It really isn’t surprising that approaching the round number 500 would cause lots of people to sell some of their position at the first hint of stalling.

But, as you say, there are also a lot of buyers, and if the sentiment continues to stay positive, eventually they push the SP through 500.
When you sell call options, is that considered selling? Do options impact buying or selling volumes?