Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WSJ - yesterday: Americans Show Scant Interest in Electric Vehicles, Subaru CEO Says

Excerpt:

Subaru Corp.’s chief executive said he didn’t see much evidence Americans want electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids and expressed frustration at navigating between environmental regulations and consumer demand.

“The only EVs that are selling well are from Tesla,” said Subaru’s Tomomi Nakamura at a briefing for journalists.

WSJ - yesterday: Americans Show Scant Interest in Electric Vehicles, Subaru CEO Says

Excerpt:

Subaru Corp.’s chief executive said he didn’t see much evidence Americans want electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids and expressed frustration at navigating between environmental regulations and consumer demand.

“The only EVs that are selling well are from Tesla,” said Subaru’s Tomomi Nakamura at a briefing for journalists.

....And how many companies make EVs with over 200 miles of real-world range?

Why on earth would someone close their position so close to earnings call that's bound to be positive? Was there some need, like a home purchase, medical?
Supposedly the weekly chart looked bad. I suspect it now looks good again lol.

Thats fine, we're all responsible for our own trades. He's clearly done alright for himself in any case.

Just wanted to point out how difficult it is to day trade. TSLA should be a phenominal long term play I think we can say that with confidence. 600 plus after the ER? Who knows.

Why on earth would someone close their position so close to earnings call that's bound to be positive? Was there some need, like a home purchase, medical?

The chart scared him. I thought it was incredibly bizarre at the time and figured he would get FOMO on the first whiff of a rise.

Excerpt:

I mean, he’s not wrong about that last bit. But maybe keep going and ask yourself why Tesla is doing what other companies seem unable to? The company that figures that out might not be the next Apple, but they could be the next Samsung.

Excerpt:

the only EVs that are selling well are from the only company that takes EVs seriously. who could possibly solve that riddle?

His speech shows that at least Diess has understood what is required...

On the contrary, I doubt he knows what is required. As far as I know, he hasn't been involved in a software and electronics company. The CEO of his competition grew up on coding and personally has delivered complete interconnected software products. The CEO of his competition has delivered defense-grade electronics in two industries.

The CEO of his competition has been thinking about how to make compelling electric cars for 35 years+. What does Diess have to compete with that?

Last edited:
FreightWaves - yesterday: Today’s Pickup: A pragmatic approach to zero-emissions logistics; at XPO, breaking up will be interesting to do - FreightWaves

Excerpt:

Getting to zero emissions in logistics will be a daunting prospect and will require significant shifts in global mind-sets, according to a report published for the World Economic Forum, which kicks off Tuesday in Davos, Switzerland. In the report, entitled “A Pragmatist’s Guide to Zero-Emission Logistics,” Essa Al Saleh, president and CEO of Agility Management AG’s Global Integrated Logistics, and Gwyneth Fries, Agility’s senior manager of sustainability, wrote that the push to develop zero-emissions fuels and vessels, while important, has its limitations. “In a cost-driven industry, a high-cost, high-risk focus on zero-emissions technology may position many players in emerging markets as part of the dirty past – not the clean future,” according to the report. The authors advised a “pragmatic approach that balances high-tech practices with practical ones that offer a role for everyone.” The technology exists to reduce avoidable emissions, they wrote. What’s needed, they said, is the will to do it.

I think even if Tesla realizes just a teeny tiny ceremonial amount of deferred tax credit for Q4, the stock will skyrocket. It's one way of telling the shorts "Hey, just so you know, we have this card, and we can play it. So, you can either cover now, or wait until Q1 when we WILL play it even more, and we won't need anywhere close to 967M this time for SP 500 inclusion"

Last edited:
Some perspective for day trading types:

upload_2020-1-21_15-51-30.png

If you look at things as a weekly chart. there really is nothing to do but just buy and old. Sure there are short-term wobbles, but the direction of travel is amazingly predictable right now. I'm holding :D not advice :D

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-21_15-51-14.png
    upload_2020-1-21_15-51-14.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 45
Just in case you are interested to understand better whats going with the CEO of VW Group Herbert Diess.

That tweet created a lot of attention. His speech shows that at least Diess has understood what is required although I ask myself why he makes it in a way that its public. IOWs I believe he tries to create additional pressure on Management to change which indicated change is not happening.

Also look at his statement about market capitalization of VW versus Tesla

Alex on Twitter
Which reminds me... I wrote an article about this earlier this week and used the Die Welt (not Auto Motor & Sport) version of the speech for that. Big response form the readers, 4x the average views, lots of comments (in the hundreds) and many arguing either with me, or each other about how wrong this article is and how stupid it is to suggest VW could become the next Nokia. The punch line: I did give some context, but 2/3 of the writing was word for word quotes from Diess, highlighted as such.

It is amazing how married some people are to the tropes of their camp even when their "leader" says otherwise. It`s like they refuse to accept reality.

If this is the action triggered by a single PT raise, I can't even fathom what it would look like if the dream scenario of deferred tax credits happens as was discussed the other day.

I suppose a few concerned shorts who frequent this forum to check up on actual real life news likely would have freaked out and questioned why the idiots at tslaQ never discussed of such deferred tax scenarios.

My first thought about it when THE ACCOUNTANT brought up the discussion was “what is this blasphemous heresy, SP inclusion 1st Q? No way.....”. Too good to be true, but if it was..... OMG!

• Funny
Reactions: Lessmog