Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i would advise taking Tesla at their word on these kinds of things, instead of relying on conspiracy theories that hypothesize that Tesla is wildly ahead of schedule on something. we seem to get burned over and over whenever we expect Tesla to outperform its own schedule or guidance.

maybe i'm wrong, but i think history is on my side here.

(clarification, i think we all understand "late next year" is a mistake, and refers to "late 2020")

Except in this case, late next year isn't actually guidance. In the last earnings call, Tesla guided for this summer.

Yes, but they are talking about FSD.

I checked the Model Y order page for Belgium (Dutch language), and indeed where it shows "Volledig zelfrijdende besturing" (=FSD) it does NOT seperate recognition of stop signs/traffic lights and city driving as in "expected later on".

The rumours could be valid, especially since FSD feature complete was expected for december 2019.

I read the rumor has having two parts:
  1. Model Y no longer says it will deliver later this year/next year, so it must be delivering in the next 2 weeks
  2. FSD no longer says it's coming later in the year, so it must be delivered with the Model Y (in the next 2 weeks)
#1 is clearly false. It may deliver sooner than expected, but the order page is unchanged and not SAYING that now.

#2, Tesla did change the terminology on the FSD option. But I don't read as much into that. Tesla may feel they've "started delivering" with the December preview release, or they may guesstimate it's within 6 months and feel that's less than "later" or whatever. It's not at all obvious to me that means there will be an imminent full release of Autopilot on City Streets. (Make no mistake, I would be really excited if there was, but I'm not holding my breath or counting on a delivery announcement as part of the Q4 call.)

In particular, the stop lights in the visualization appear WAY TOO LATE to actually stop for a red light in a non-emergency way (if the car isn't aware of them until they show onscreen). I also regularly see the visualization displaying stop lights that are actually facing the crossroads (e.g. it's showing lights it shouldn't be paying attention to). The computer may have more going on under the covers than I'm seeing, but despite the December release I haven't seen the evidence so far that City Streets is ready for release.

I read the rumor has having two parts:
  1. Model Y no longer says it will deliver later this year/next year, so it must be delivering in the next 2 weeks
  2. FSD no longer says it's coming later in the year, so it must be delivered with the Model Y (in the next 2 weeks)
#1 is clearly false. It may deliver sooner than expected, but the order page is unchanged and not SAYING that now.

#2, Tesla did change the terminology on the FSD option. But I don't read as much into that. Tesla may feel they've "started delivering" with the December preview release, or they may guesstimate it's within 6 months and feel that's less than "later" or whatever. It's not at all obvious to me that means there will be an imminent full release of Autopilot on City Streets. (Make no mistake, I would be really excited if there was, but I'm not holding my breath or counting on a delivery announcement as part of the Q4 call.)

In particular, the stop lights in the visualization appear WAY TOO LATE to actually stop for a red light in a non-emergency way (if the car isn't aware of them until they show onscreen). I also regularly see the visualization displaying stop lights that are actually facing the crossroads (e.g. it's showing lights it shouldn't be paying attention to). The computer may have more going on under the covers than I'm seeing, but despite the December release I haven't seen the evidence so far that City Streets is ready for release.

I wasn't saying I buy into the rumors, just pointing out what change on the order page they meant.

I fully agree that we shouldn't read too much into these things.

In particular, the stop lights in the visualization appear WAY TOO LATE to actually stop for a red light in a non-emergency way (if the car isn't aware of them until they show onscreen).

I think when Tesla releases software optimized for Hardware 3.0 you will see a huge improvement in the speed of recognition.

Thoughts on the following? Accurate?

"
Most who commented so far have no idea how short selling work in the actual market. To state short selling is good for the market is naive at best, especially someone with a C level role.

The SEC imposed regulation SHO to prevent naked short selling but the the process is nothing but a smoke screen. SHO required prior locate approvals for stocks each firm would like to short before placing a short sell.

To comply with this rule, every securities lending firm collect the available securities list from every major firm to lend to the street and collate them together. For example, the top 20 sec lending firms submit their cumulative totals for TSLA to lend to the street to a firm like Goldman Sachs, for example. GS would show there were 2 millions shares available to lend to short sellers for today.

What if there were higher demands to short sell more than 2 millions shares? Would that stop them from shorting
TSLA? Not a chance!

How is that possible? Well, remember that cumulative total of 2 millions shares available to lend that was presented to GS? The same number was also presented to the other top 20 sec lending firms on Wall St.

Magically, now there were 40 millions shares of TSLA available on the street for short selling today. This is the greatest smoke screen of them all. There is no way there are actually 35 millions REAL shares available for short sellers to borrow. The number is inflated by at least 20 times since every lender is using the same 2 million shares over and over again to lend.

What happens when there is an explosion in upward price movement? Well, there is a daily process of pricing requirement for mark to market that determines margin requirements for each account. This process mandates that short seller accounts either deposit more money to cover margin or sell enough shares to cover the shortfall.

The higher the price movement, the more margin or cash is required. How do you cover 35 million shares shorted with 2 millions shares readily available on the street?

By paying more than what others are willing to pay to sell their shares. How did you think TSLA went from $300 to $550 in less than 3 months?

Modern day short selling by hedge funds have a single objective. It is to spread FUD until the targeted company is either out of funds to finance their operation, or lose customers, and frivolous lawsuits.

There may be some legitimate short selling for some companies in real trouble, but the level of FUD against TSLA is beyond what reasonable investor would do."

I think when Tesla releases software optimized for Hardware 3.0 you will see a huge improvement in the speed of recognition.

Wait -- the stop light/trash can/etc. visualizations already only show on Hardware 3.0, right?

I'm sure they haven't "finished" training/optimization yet -- I'm hopeful that I'll get a release every month that improves all aspects of the recognition and logic needed for city streets.

But it's not my understanding that my car is running HW2.x code for that today.

Wait -- the stop light/trash can/etc. visualizations already only show on Hardware 3.0, right?

I'm sure they haven't "finished" training/optimization yet -- I'm hopeful that I'll get a release every month that improves all aspects of the recognition and logic needed for city streets.

But it's not my understanding that my car is running HW2.x code for that today.

I believe @verygreen confirmed that the stop sign/etc code is there and works on HW2.x but just disabled.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Thoughts on the following? Accurate?

"
......"

Thoughts? All right:

First, what on earth are those quotation marks doing? Is the quoted material yours, or have you copied it from somewhere else - which is the implied use of those marks? If so, of course - then from where and from whom?

Second, whether it's your writing or another's...it's difficult to follow the stream. Its writing appears to be so hurried as to be tripping over itself. If it's yours, please re-format, try again and re-submit, please.

Thank you very much.

Surprisingly interesting video. He seems to understand Tesla and their position in the market a lot better than many so-called analysts.

I really get tired of hearing the word "electrified". Tesla has always made electric vehicles. They did not electrify their ICE vehicles as other manufacturers are doing.

I don't get the term electrified anyway. I mean, was an automobile in the early 1900s essentially a "gasified" horse and buggy?

Last edited: