Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Economists have forecast 10 of the last 6 recessions …

Nobel-winning economist Krugman warns that a U.S. recession looms in 2019

MARKETWATCH 10:54 AM ET 2/11/2019

Nobel laureate Paul Krugman says he sees a good chance of a recession hitting the U.S. within a year.

Speaking at a government summit in Dubai, the economist and highly read New York Times columnist said the likelihood of an economic slowdown hitting the U.S. was high due to sluggish growth already buffeting China and Europe. According to CNBC (Paul Krugman expects a global recession this year, warns 'we don't have an effective response'), Krugman said that "there was a good chance that the U.S. will have a recession late this year" or by 2020.

I keep wondering how will this work out in states with the snow. No question about CA, AZ, etc.

If there are 5 days in a year when roads are covered with snow and lane markings are not visible, then FSD (I think) would not be able to navigate. Then for those days anybody who gave up a personal auto to use driverless taxis & save on costs is stuck, b/c there will be no other options left (assuming human-driven Ubers etc. are out of business). If it is vital for you to be able to get to work on those days, then you can't give up a car. Then it can't be replaced by mobility-as-a-service.

Similar question raised a man with a horse when he saw a car. How to drive a car where are no roads? He answered to himself: you buy a horse! ;)

Please have a little faith in technology

The only thing holding back China are the tariffs. Once that is sorted out I expect Tesla will do every bit as well there. Europe? I'm not sure. People like to mock the US flagged "you gotta buy Murican!" crowd but Europeans aren't all that different.

Anecdotal data point:

Since I reserved my Model 3 I started telling people that I am getting an American car, a claim that is _every_ time met with disbelief (maybe because I am known for driving Audi for 10+ years).

When I then explain that I am buying a Tesla, I get a: "But that's different".
So I think Teslas will (continue) to sell just fine here.

Canaccord analyst Jed Dorsheimer who upgraded TSLA this morning will be interviewed on CNBC during the upcoming hour.
Did I miss it? I don't see any interview available. I see a roundtable discussion, by CNBC "analysts", of the Cannacord recommendation, but will not watch if Dorsheimer is not there to elucidate his position. TIA.

Edit: I now see the updated time. Thank you.

Completely agree that areas with snowy weather will not be able to have autonomous driving for numerous days throughout the winter. These technologies do not function well when roads and the sensors are covered with ice and snow. We have many winter days here in Wisconsin where Autopilot is not available due to road conditions as well as snow and ice buildup on the vehicle. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Anecdotal data point:

Since I reserved my Model 3 I started telling people that I am getting an American car, a claim that is _every_ time met with disbelief (maybe because I am known for driving Audi for 10+ years).

When I then explain that I am buying a Tesla, I get a: "But that's different".
So I think Teslas will (continue) to sell just fine here.
Good to hear. A Tesla is surely different than telling your neighbor that you are buying a Ford Fusion.

Not just there - even *here* I get the same reaction.
We also have plenty of Americans who don't believe that Teslas are American cars.

Last edited:
I would say that with the latest admissions by Audi & Porsche, the notion that VW will disrupt Tesla are plainly ridiculous. So you gotta find some new Teslaquilla... I'm amazed they didn't think of a Chinese car maker as the next Tesla killer.
You mean Volvo Polestar? They did.

TSLA going to 0, Chinese are eating its lunch.

Oh, wait isn’t Tesla going to become a Chinese company after BK, and Elon moving to China to avoid fraud charges?:D

Last edited:
CNBC interviewers keep repeating FUD. They keep saying that Tesla "gutted their delivery team", neglecting to mention the focus on overseas deliveries, the typical January low, the move-forward due to the tax credit, etc. They also keep repeating the "40% range reduction in winter" thing, while using phrases like "kills your battery". The reporters were pretty terrible.

The analyst they were interviewing, however, did a pretty good job.

CNBC interviewers keep repeating FUD. They keep saying that Tesla "gutted their delivery team", neglecting to mention the focus on overseas deliveries, the typical January low, the move-forward due to the tax credit, etc. They also keep repeating the "40% range reduction in winter" thing, while using phrases like "kills your battery". The reporters were pretty terrible.

The analyst they were interviewing, however, did a pretty good job.

Tesla is not one of CNBC's advertisers, so they find it easy to repeat all the FUD that is sent to them. Indeed, the analyst described Tesla's potential with a clearer head.

@ggr @AudubonB
Hammer of ghod? mjolnir?
I think @OPRCE missed the fact that @Right_Said_Fred is also a new moderator of this part of the forum, and what he wrote was a politely worded order. As such, I/Mod am leaving it up to him to decide when to wield Mjölnir. But one never knows when my patience will run out.

Unfortunately it is not just 9 year olds............Jul 1, 2018 - PewDiePie complied with the request and brought up the age analytics of his channel. Surprisingly, the 25-34 demographic has a higher percentage of views than the 13-17 age group at 28% and 11%, respectively. 18-24 is the most popular group on PewDiePie's channel, making up 44% of the views. It is potential model 3 buyers........

"Always motivated by the long term perspective Elon Musk appeared on PewDiePie's channel to ensure demand is high also many years from now".

Sensational "reporting" and stock markets shouldn't be mixed. We need some fundamental reforms to remove distortions in the stock market.

I keep wondering how will this work out in states with the snow. No question about CA, AZ, etc.

If there are 5 days in a year when roads are covered with snow and lane markings are not visible, then FSD (I think) would not be able to navigate. Then for those days anybody who gave up a personal auto to use driverless taxis & save on costs is stuck, b/c there will be no other options left (assuming human-driven Ubers etc. are out of business). If it is vital for you to be able to get to work on those days, then you can't give up a car. Then it can't be replaced by mobility-as-a-service.

If a human can drive the snow covered road, then an FSD car can.

One FSD option is simply to know _exactly_ where the road and where each lane is, and then just rely on its positioning data.

Last edited:
Can't give too many details or the source on this one, but I thought I'd share this (exclusive?) info anyway:

PSA recently informed Peugeot-, Citroën- and Opel-dealerships to install a certain number of charging stations – proportional to their showroom size – at their venue until mid-2020, in order to qualify for contract renewal. Small-to-medium-sized dealers clock in around 6-8 chargers, with each station costing around €60.000.

Dealers are going BANANAS.

Which is why the US has dealer franchise laws in place to protect them from their own OEM.
However, those laws should not extend to protecting franchises from other OEMs...

Good:
(o) Require unreasonable improvements to a facility as a condition to entering into or renewing a dealer agreement.

Bad current version:
(i) Sell any new motor vehicle directly to a retail customer other than through franchised dealers,

pre-2014 version:
Sell any new motor vehicle directly to a retail customer other than through its franchised dealers,
No dealers, no problem with direct sales...

mcl-445-1574

I'm afraid my favorite is "super-poly-logarithmic-subexponential-function", which is for real, the complexity to solve the discrete logarithm problem in a finite field on a classical computer. I guess you have to be a cryptographer to care :-(

If a human can drive the snow covered road, then an FSD car can.

One FSD option is simply to know _exactly_ where only the road and where each lane is, and then just rely on its positioning data.

If there are tracks, follow them. If there are not tracks, who cares? Aim for the middleish. During the recent storm, a 5 lane road (center left) turned into a 2 lane road...