Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT. So you can perhaps answer the age old question of why Irish jigs always finish with Danny LaRue ? As in didlleee diddllee Danny LaRue. ;)
That's easy.

Denny LaRue was taken by a famous Irish lawyer who wouldn't give permission to use his name. His brother Danny was the local drunk so he didn't care.

Geeze, I thought everyone knew that story. LOL!

Dan

Tasha Keeney‏ @TashaARK
Strongly disagree with Zetsche's claim on the Daimler call last week that there is "no clear-cut business model" for #autonomous driving platforms.
White Paper: Why Self-Driving Cars Could Change Everything
8:20 AM - 11 Feb 2019
I keep wondering how will this work out in states with the snow. No question about CA, AZ, etc.

If there are 5 days in a year when roads are covered with snow and lane markings are not visible, then FSD (I think) would not be able to navigate. Then for those days anybody who gave up a personal auto to use driverless taxis & save on costs is stuck, b/c there will be no other options left (assuming human-driven Ubers etc. are out of business). If it is vital for you to be able to get to work on those days, then you can't give up a car. Then it can't be replaced by mobility-as-a-service.

I keep wondering how will this work out in states with the snow. No question about CA, AZ, etc.

If there are 5 days in a year when roads are covered with snow and lane markings are not visible, then FSD (I think) would not be able to navigate. Then for those days anybody who gave up a personal auto to use driverless taxis & save on costs is stuck, b/c there will be no other options left (assuming human-driven Ubers etc. are out of business). If it is vital for you to be able to get to work on those days, then you can't give up a car. Then it can't be replaced by mobility-as-a-service.
More and more companies are being realistic about work from home options, particularly in bad weather. If you have a critical job then you probably need your own vehicle. That probably isn't all that different from people who live in places where mass transit is the norm.

Reactions: lklundin

Remember,this is a VISION based system. Just like you and I. Also, it "sees" or "will see" better than any human. It will learn how to respond to any situation just like humans do...in time.

Also, let's remind ourselves that there are conditions that shoildn't be driven in by anything or anybody, human or machine.

Dan

Unfortunately it is not just 9 year olds............Jul 1, 2018 - PewDiePie complied with the request and brought up the age analytics of his channel. Surprisingly, the 25-34 demographic has a higher percentage of views than the 13-17 age group at 28% and 11%, respectively. 18-24 is the most popular group on PewDiePie's channel, making up 44% of the views. It is potential model 3 buyers........
The people who kept spamming Elon's tweets for months though... If you look at their responses under "maybe tomorrow" tweet... like
"Save us" or
al on Twitter
I hope these are not 34 y.olds :eek:

Completely agree that areas with snowy weather will not be able to have autonomous driving for numerous days throughout the winter. These technologies do not function well when roads and the sensors are covered with ice and snow. We have many winter days here in Wisconsin where Autopilot is not available due to road conditions as well as snow and ice buildup on the vehicle. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Wait, I am a Rivian fan and even a deposit holder but this is silly:
Tesla's electric vehicle dominance is about to have 'serious competition,' Morgan Stanley says

The theme is that “Tesla’s dominance of the EV market is unsustainable”, and will soon be “disrupted by Rivian”.

I would say that with the latest admissions by Audi & Porsche, the notion that VW will disrupt Tesla are plainly ridiculous. So you gotta find some new Teslaquilla... I'm amazed they didn't think of a Chinese car maker as the next Tesla killer.

More and more companies are being realistic about work from home options, particularly in bad weather. If you have a critical job then you probably need your own vehicle. That probably isn't all that different from people who live in places where mass transit is the norm.
Also, non-availability of FSD taxis itself becomes a valid reason for not going to work.

For eg., today we have lot of snow in Seattle area. So, most schools are closed and most people are not going to work. Irrespective of whether you have a car or not. The same amount of snow in Chicago or some other place that regularly gets snow will probably not shutdown the city, because they keep the snow off the roads.

Perhaps it was to raise cash by selling Tesla shares at high prices in 2018 Q4, for reentry into Tesla shares at bargain prices in 2019 Q1.

As a reminder, ARK invest has a policy of selling (or at least not buying) some of the stock shares that approach or exceed 10% of the value of any of their ETFs. Tesla remains ARK's top holding: ARK Innovation ETFs

Do you remember when was the last time they increased/decreased their TSLA position by ~50%? T Rowe apparently did that multiple times in the last 2 years or so.

Book profits as window dressing for the year. It makes sense and they'll hop back in later right after the frenzy of fear mongering.

Investment advisers and mutual funds don't need to book profits. They are paid on a mark-to-market basis. (And performance is similarly calculated).

However, some of T Rowe's reduction could certainly be attributed to widespread redemptions out of actively-managed mutual funds in Q4 and funding year-end capital gains distributions. Both would have caused T Rowe to sell so that they could fund the cash flows and so that they maintain similar exposures to TSLA.

We likely won't have the full story until we see the underlying fund holdings over the coming months.

Can't give too many details or the source on this one, but I thought I'd share this (exclusive?) info anyway:

PSA recently informed Peugeot-, Citroën- and Opel-dealerships to install a certain number of charging stations – proportional to their showroom size – at their venue until mid-2020, in order to qualify for contract renewal. Small-to-medium-sized dealers clock in around 6-8 chargers, with each station costing around €60.000.

Dealers are going BANANAS.

Morgan Stanely, Adam Jonas

Got it. Head unusually impenetrable this morning.

Makes sense, MS/AJ hyping Rivian in buildup to eventual IPO to support a good stock price. I presume timing would be based on funding levels. At stated current funding level of 500 million, rough numbers say they can’t afford to build 20k vehicles without going for another funding round or an IPO. So one of those has to happen before end of 2020 when they start cranking out 2021 model year vehicles in volume?

Reactions: elasalle