Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most importantly, I'm very skeptical that they decided to build MY at Fremont if production capacity is going to be so limited. They say they don't expect cannibalization to affect M3 demand, but even if it dropped to 250k/year from Fremont, MY demand should far exceed that, suggesting that 500k annual 3+Y capacity at Fremont is going to seriously insufficient.
Why would it be seriously insufficient once GF3 & GF4 come online ?

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
So now it is decision time

when is the best day to sell my call options expiring on Feb 7? Should I just sell tomorrow or on Friday? Or should I be greedy and wait till next week hoping for a good squeeze to set in?
Any and all ‘Not an advice’ from this group is most welcome.
Whenever I'm torn I split the difference.

Reactions: ggr
Q: why not raise money?

A; We are spending money as fast as it makes sense as it is. So no need to raise money. We are not limited by cash. We learned during Model 3 launch in that we tried to grow too quickly, wasted money, had wasteful processes. We are now smarter. We are launching 2 vehicles now (Model Y and Model Y shanghai I presume).

model 3 Shanghai and Model Y Nummi?

I think he means until at least 2021. I'd say both 3 & Y are going to be in short supply until Shanghai is up to 300,000 Model 3 and the Model Y starts ramping up next year, and Berlin gets started.

Batteries and buildings are the stumbling blocks to 1 million cars next year.

Reactions: humbaba and FrankSG
So now it is decision time

when is the best day to sell my call options expiring on Feb 7? Should I just sell tomorrow or on Friday? Or should I be greedy and wait till next week hoping for a good squeeze to set in?
Any and all ‘Not an advice’ from this group is most welcome.

I have Feb 7th 600s. I'm waiting and Selling on Wednesday. I do believe we are about to witness the beginning of a short squeeze.

72 million offset is operating expenses due to expected compensation award. That's ~ $0.40 a share.
I kind of got lost on this item... Everybody was insisting the target SP has to hold for 6 months before the award, but 6 months did not happen.
I saw no explanation post ER.

My PT is $1,100 for March and a pullback to $650 after. Watch how accurate this is

Tesla will realize FSD profits/sell those call options and join the S&P500 after Q1. People with billions of dollars understand this and will drive the stock higher. No one truly cares about Q1 fluctuations. Last year Tesla had $2b cash in Q1
Seems first post assumes bad Q1 ER?
But 2nd says Q1 is good, because they'll pull one of the levers available...
Then why pullback? If 1,100 is squeeze, it prob. does not need to run for 2 months?

Be careful. Tesla did not guide anything for Q1 other than a statement that it will be challenging due to the usual seasonality in sales and a China ramp that might not be perfect. Remember how much the market freaked out after Q1 last year? We've got 2 months before these bad sales numbers are disclosed. It almost has to take the stock price down, doesn't it? At some point between now and then the market will figure this out...
Levers
- FCA credits
- EM said feature complete in ~2 months. That could put it in March, Q1. Recognize a big chunk of FSD revenue.
- tax valuation allowance
- calls

Do we really know it will be bad?

yeah of course, but it was weird hearing Elon say they couldn't ramp Semi up sooner because there wasn't enough battery supply, and in the next breath saying they can't spend money faster as there was nothing to spend it on (when obviously more battery supply is something they could be spending it on).

Almost seems like they are paying an opportunity cost to wait while Maxwell tech is ready (otherwise they would have invested more last year in battery lines)

I think you are missing some of what he said. He said that they can't productively spend money any faster than they currently are.

They are spending money to increase battery supply. Some things that show that for sure are the acquisitions of Maxwell and Hibar and the job openings we have seen. They now have to take what they have gotten and integrate it before they can build it out at scale.

It is obvious to me that the Panasonic cell manufacturing can't reasonably be ramped quickly, even with more money. You might be able to build the space and install the equipment but it requires too much manual labor that isn't available in the area. So spending money to duplicate that wouldn't be wise. Remember Elon isn't planning a small change, he is planning a YUGE change: from the current ~34 GWhs to thousands of GWhs. So he is looking for something like 100x what Panasonic is currently doing.

Last edited:
Seems first post assumes bad Q1 ER?
But 2nd says Q1 is good, because they'll pull one of the levers available...
Then why pullback? If 1,100 is squeeze, it prob. does not need to run for 2 months?
It will follow the same pattern as the 2013 squeeze. The market will find a reason to sell it off in a few months, maybe Elon's baby will be born with blue hair idk. Then will resume trend upwards

$1100 to $650 to $1400

Levers
- FCA credits
- EM said feature complete in ~2 months. That could put it in March, Q1. Recognize a big chunk of FSD revenue.
- tax valuation allowance
- calls

Do we really know it will be bad?

My post referred to the sales numbers that will come out first days of April, not the earning release due end of April. All this stuff above won’t happen until the earnings release but the sales numbers are likely to be bad.

Two standouts for me:

1) "3 orders of magnitude" improvement in labelling from all 8 cameras simultaneously, which we have to assume is the now legendary Project Dojo. Most people still see the advent of FSD as being like finding alien intelligence. Some think it'll never happen and most of the rest think maybe someday but I'll be old or dead. Seems to me that Dojo is kicking the execution date to well within the investable timeframe. But crucially, one has to wonder what tiny proportion of investable dollars in global markets have realised this yet?

2) The battery "rabbit hole". I take it that this rabbit hole leads all the way to the constrained supply of raw materials for cells. In the passage of time, Tesla is going to become a global mining major, mark my words. The giggle about acquisitions was because they've looked hard and it's not as easy as it sounds - most big mining opportunities are in emerging markets, with all that entails in terms of political risk, labour industrialisation and social/environmental issues. So it's Australia they're going to target and there's a flip chance this gets announced in 2020 (Nickel sulphate).

As for the surge in After Hours, I read the report before checking the price and was pretty surprised to be honest, as the results and guidance were largely par versus my expectations. The price rally (and Elon's big up to Retail) are a timely reminder that there remains a profound lack of understanding of Tesla by the market at large.

Looking at the graph in the Q4 ER, it looks like in 2019 about 260-270k M3s were for non-China markets. However, Fremont will also have to make higher trims for China, and I see overall demand for Tesla growing going forward. There might be some cannibalization from MY, but 250k M3 from Fremont does not seem like it'd be quite enough imo.

Giga Berlin is expected to start production mid 2021 if there are no hiccups, but they've stated they will start with Model Y production, so M3 production at Giga Berlin might very well not start until mid 2022. This is two and a half years away. Lower prices due to localized production should also further increase demand in EU at that point.

I also have a feeling that Tesla demand in China is going to be very strong based on the early signs. They may no longer be shipping SR+ to China from Fremont, but I could see Giga Shanghai not being enough to fulfill local demand of SR+ vehicles, and therefore a number of people deciding to order higher trims from the USA.

I could be wrong, and maybe if they manage to squeeze out 12k/week in Fremont, that would be close to fulfilling non-China demand, especially when Giga Berlin starts producing Model Ys and mix at Fremont can shift towards M3. But all in all, I'm not convinced about Fremont production capacity yet, and I'd love some clarification from management.

Last edited: