Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this get reported as news? This is five days old.

Gotta give the shorts/bears/manipulators credit where credit is due. I did not expect they'd be able to pull off the same stunt they did with "unintended acceleration" again.

And man, I feel sorry for all the poor souls who are selling their shares because of all these FUD 'news' articles.

CNBC knows that Tesla almost closed all their stores by choice last year. The article doesn't mention that their cars are sold online, so most people who see the article will think it's a big deal. Plus most American companies are closing their stores in China, so why pick on Tesla instead of the restaurant and services companies where it actually matters?

Correct, I've pointed out this effect before earlier in 2019, but I haven't quantified it beyond very crude estimates.

Regarding this initial estimate you made back in November:

"The result is larger than i expected. I believe a +$10 increase in share price would require the purchase of 4.7 million Tesla shares worth $1.6bn. I think much of all stock volume every day is delta hedging related."​

IIRC you later updated this to around ~2 million shares per $10 increase in the TSLA price? Could you perhaps re-run your calculations with the latest open interest and the current layout of the options positions?

In particular due to the very sharp rise Implied Volatility is very high all across the options series (70%+ instead of the regular 45-50%), and this necessarily increases delta hedging requirements well over what the standard Black-Scholes model (or its fancier modern extensions) would predict. I believe options market makers would use the market's expectations of volatility to estimate risk, not modeled volatility, when market IV is significantly higher. They'd prefer to over-estimate risk rather than under-estimate it - but this effect magnifies the feedback loop...

Also note another effect: the exploding options prices made it very expensive to hedge short positions with calls, and I believe this too might have caused short positions to be closed.

A number of things happened this week:

The week started with a huge delta exposure to rising share price due to a huge open interest in call options (particularly relative to a limited effective free float of investors willing to sell).
People likely increased this call position on Monday triggering share price rise from market makers buying shares to hedge the new options they sold.
This created a delta hedge spiral higher.
While this was happening investors began rolling $ exposure into contracts with lower delta (to keep more leverage and upside potential).

This all continued on Tuesday, except average delta of all options got too high (above 80%) with the vast majority of options deep in the money. This meant the delta feedback from higher prices faded because delta cannot go above 1.

Put option bets increased on Monday but jumped dramatically on Tuesday. Possibly this was all timed by hedge funds (including Citron) to happen at a similar time late in trading which caused the sudden 10% drop (because option market makers who sold puts had to sell shares to delta hedge their position). Some of the increase in put options may have been longs hedging their downside however (and in the process crashing their own shares).

On Wednesday the downside feedback loop had momentum and with the large put options position there was a lot of delta hedging requirement for market makers to sell shares as the price increased.

Right now the market's exposure to the options delta hedging feedback loop is higher than ever. So there is a reasonable chance +-20% days continue. With the direction possibly started by small catalysts such as headlines or people put on or taking off call option or put option bets.

Call Option Open Interest Changes This Week:
upload_2020-2-6_11-5-51.png

Put Options Open Interest Changes this week:
upload_2020-2-6_11-6-25.png

Net Call minus Put Options Open Interest Trends this week:
upload_2020-2-6_11-7-14.png

All these numbers assume 100% of option sellers delta hedge their shares and 100% of option buyers do not (and no not own positions in underlying shares).

This is not the case in reality for several reasons, but these numbers should still be valid directionally whether you assume 50% or 80% of the net delta exposure of the market needs delta hedging.

Reasons why an option may not be delta hedge:
  • Market maker to market maker open options for hedging do not have to be delta hedged. If one market maker open a call contract with another market maker to delta hedge some of their other open Tesla call options, then this amplifies the open interest in the market but does not increase net delta exposure of the market. However I doubt this is a huge % of open contracts as a huge book of long and short open call contracts between market makers purely for the purposes of hedging is a very inefficient market. If they did put on option hedges with other market makers they would be incentivised for it to be exactly the same contract, so they don’t end up with a huge book of open contracts with other market makers with different vega, theta exposures etc. In this case, the option market open interest would be reduced by this transaction. The liquidity of the Tesla option market actually makes this more likely given most delta exposure is in liquid contracts where it is easy for market makers to close.
  • Options sold for covered calls,
  • Call/put spread trades
  • Unhedged options sold by investors etc.

Last edited:
If you like 1960s and 1970s cars. There was a point in my life that I thought an early 1970s Ford Bronco looked good. But it's not the 1970s anymore.

It's a moot point because Tesla will NEVER buy Rivian.

Rivian has been and is, welcome to utilize the Tesla network. All they gotta do is set up the cost sharing agreement.

Fire Away!
(It’s the batteries, Stupid!)

A number of things happened this week:

The week started with a huge delta exposure to rising share price due to a huge open interest in call options (particularly relative to a limited effective free float of investors willing to sell).
People likely increased this call position on Monday triggering share price rise from market makers buying shares to hedge the new options they sold.
This created a delta hedge spiral higher.
While this was happening investors began rolling $ exposure into contracts with lower delta (to keep more leverage and upside potential).

This all continued on Tuesday, except average delta of all options got too high (above 80%) with the vast majority of options deep in the money. This meant the delta feedback from higher prices faded because delta cannot go above 1.

Put option bets increased on Monday but jumped dramatically on Tuesday. Possibly this was all timed by hedge funds (including Citron) to happen at a similar time late in trading which caused the sudden 10% drop (because option market makers who sold puts had to sell shares to delta hedge their position). Some of the increase in put options may have been longs hedging their downside however (and in the process crashing their own shares).

On Wednesday the downside feedback loop had momentum and with the large put options position there was a lot of delta hedging requirement for market makers to sell shares as the price increased.

Right now the market's exposure to the options delta hedging feedback loop is higher than ever. So there is a reasonable chance +-20% days continue. With the direction possibly started by small catalysts such as headlines or people put on or taking off call option or put option bets.

Call Option Open Interest Changes This Week:
View attachment 508500

Put Options Open Interest Changes this week:
View attachment 508501

Net Call minus Put Options Open Interest Trends this week:
View attachment 508502

All these numbers assume 100% of option sellers delta hedge their shares and 100% of option buyers do not (and no not own positions in underlying shares).

This is not the case in reality for several reasons, but these numbers should still be valid directionally whether you assume 50% or 80% of the net delta exposure of the market needs delta hedging.

Reasons why an option may not be delta hedge:
  • Market maker to market maker open options for hedging do not have to be delta hedged. If one market maker open a call contract with another market maker to delta hedge some of their other open Tesla call options, then this amplifies the open interest in the market but does not increase net delta exposure of the market. However I doubt this is a huge % of open contracts as a huge book of long and short open call contracts between market makers purely for the purposes of hedging is a very inefficient market. If they did put on option hedges with other market makers they would be incentivised for it to be exactly the same contract, so they don’t end up with a huge book of open contracts with other market makers with different vega, theta exposures etc. In this case, the option market open interest would be reduced by this transaction. The liquidity of the Tesla option market actually makes this more likely given most delta exposure is in liquid contracts where it is easy for market makers to close.
  • Options sold for covered calls,
  • Call/put spread trades
  • Unhedged options sold by investors etc.

A love rating is inadequate for a post like this. Thanks so much for taking the time to compile all this!

I have a question. Your calculations indicate that the "Net Delta Hedge Shares Demand" for calls + puts combined only went up by 2.8M shares from Monday to Tuesday. Does this mean that most of Monday's rally was caused by buying other than delta hedging?

Oz Law seems remarkably similar to US law on this, so I was happy to hear either US or Australian response. Responses have been useful. Until now I thought all my TSLA shares were equal. Now I realise I must have batches of shares, each batch with a purchase time stamp and a price per share.

At some point I may learn how to selectively sell shares from the earliest or latest batch. I haven’t come across that option yet in IG.com’s interface.

This is the Australian Tax Office guidance on identifying sold shares:
Guide to capital gains tax 2019

With IG I'm not sure how they allocate but some of the shares I've sold in the past haven't been allocated as I would have expected. I'm planning to contact them and see if they can reallocate, at least so my account shows the correct base price.

For anyone curious, in Australia we pay CGT similar to the US with a 50% discount after 12 months but our effective top tax rate is 47%. If shares are held in a Self managed Super Fund retirement account then the tax rate is 15% reducing to 10% for over 12 months.

It's been a wild ride over the last few days (plus very hard to keep up with every post here) but I'm holding long and strong!

A love rating is inadequate for a post like this. Thanks so much for taking the time to compile all this!

I have a question. Your calculations indicate that the "Net Delta Hedge Shares Demand" for calls + puts combined only went up by 2.8M shares from Monday to Tuesday. Does this mean that most of Monday's rally was caused by buying other than delta hedging?

This was due to the sudden jump in delta shares sold from the increase in put options late in trading. The rally was likely driven by increased delta demand from call options prior to the huge put bet (likely towards $8bn of new put option delta exposure was bet on the market on Tuesday).

This was due to the sudden jump in delta shares sold from the increase in put options late in trading. The rally was likely driven by increased delta demand from call options prior to the huge put bet (likely towards $8bn of new put option delta exposure was bet on the market on Tuesday).

Ah yes, I misinterpreted the numbers. I now see the 2.8M increase was from Monday's close to Tuesday's close. Your explanation makes a lot of sense then.

It still seems like there might've been a further significant contraction in the float in the last few days?

Monday: 12.5M shares bought as delta hedges caused a 20% rise in SP
Tuesday: 2.8M shares bought as delta hedges caused a 14% rise in SP
Wednesday: 20M shares sold as delta hedges caused a 19% drop in SP

If your calculations are correct, market makers own 5M less shares as delta hedges, yet the SP is still up 11% from Friday's close.

Ah yes, I misinterpreted the numbers. I now see the 2.8M increase was from Monday's close to Tuesday's close. Your explanation makes a lot of sense then.

It still seems like there might've been a further significant contraction in the float in the last few days?

Monday: 12.5M shares bought as delta hedges caused a 20% rise in SP
Tuesday: 2.8M shares bought as delta hedges caused a 14% rise in SP
Wednesday: 20M shares sold as delta hedges caused a 19% drop in SP

If your calculations are correct, market makers own 5M less shares as delta hedges, yet the SP is still up 11% from Friday's close.

I agree. It looks like we could go into next week with the setup for daily moves to be even higher in each direction than we've seen this week.

Will be key to see how many put buyers take profit today and tomorrow.

The best case (for OTM call buyers) is that we see some mock stability in the share price today and tomorrow, then options markets miss price volatility too low again before Friday close.
It could setup for an almost exact copy of this week on Monday, just potentially with even more volatility.

Last edited:
I hope the thoughts on pressure for a rise is true. I feel today we might have the opposite effect than what shorts on margin had Monday. Today we have longs that went big on margin thinking 1000 was in the bag getting their margin call today. I see at least a MMD potentially caused by them being forced to cover. The only difference here is if the market in general is positive they may get saved by their other investments going up.

It’s almost like an advanced game an chest we have here.

This almost sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy. You(*) bet that it will go down and buy enough puts which causes delta hedging by MM which causes it to go down to fulfill your bet.

(*) “You” here is unlikely be a single entity but more of the consensus among significant enough number of market players.

Everybody go buy mountains of calls now and drive this thing back up. :p