Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This year 20m+ shares volume is normal, which at $750 is $15b of turnover - crazy high.

Either a big buyer is accumulating, or the float is contracting significantly, IMO.

If a big buyer was accumulating, wouldn't the SP likely have shown more strength during market hours? Especially on the back of such strong macros?

Through what mechanism does a contracted float increase volume? I don't disagree about the float being small-ish at the moment, but I don't understand how that could increase volume.

Couldn't it just be that TSLA has been under the spotlight lately, and has seen very high volatility, and that therefore more people (and especially traders who love volatility) are looking at TSLA right now?

After-action Report: Mon, Feb 10, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $771.17
Volume: 24,808,920
Traded: $19.330,319,393.99
Yes, $19.33B traded in TSLA today. We are a large Cap, high volume equity now, folks. :D
TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE – 2020-02-10.png

Last edited:
Could Tesla Be Worth $8,000 a Share to Google? Now We Are Getting Silly.

someone speculating google (waymo) would buy tesla for $8,000 per share. Sorry if redundant post...can't always keep up with this thread.

Anyways...don't think there is anything real behind this.
No way even Google want to do that. Tesla with 139.02 B at $771. Google nearly comes to 1T market value. At $8000 a share TESLA would be more than 1.45 T. How could Google buy it?
That said, the $1,500/share rumor does make sense

• Funny
Reactions: CorneliusXX
No way even Google want to do that. Tesla with 139.02 B at $771. Google nearly comes to 1T market value. At $8000 a share TESLA would be more than 1.45 T. How could Google buy it?
That said, the $1,500/share rumor does make sense

They’re doing a weird set of mental gymnastics. The rumor is that Google would buy Tesla for $1500. The $8000/share is how much value they supposedly expect to get out of the deal.

• Helpful
Reactions: riverFox
  • Funny
Reactions: imherkimer
Anyone seen this interview?

GM’s director of battery cell engineering: We’re nowhere near the bottom of the price curves - Electrek

Does the GM Battery guy have a clue and/or a chance?

That is hilarious. As in, it is so funny that I can't stop reading it. Seriously. I read it once and laughed. Then I went back and read it again and laughed some more. Then started telling my wife and laughing (she humors me).

It is so hilariously bad that a quick read simply doesn't do it justice. The answers are so uniformly clueless that it doesn't even seem like the usual corporate fluff -- its like he genuinely has no clue. At all. Like when asked about "pouches versus prismatic cells" and he answers, "Our future architecture can handle everything. We can flex with the industry." Or, right after that, "we're vertically integrated where understand all that, and how to make it optimal." Its the kind of clueless answer that is just begging for some snark -- except it seems perfect as is. I mean, I'd love to add something snarky about "we understand all that" but, honestly, that's the wording I would use for him. Even the "vertically integrated" line is a hoot. Is this guy a plant? No, not the vegetative kind, I mean he's been implanted to help take down GM from the inside. Microsoft did that with Nokia, maybe the want to get into the car business (j/k).

Oy! How did I miss this gem: "The big boys are jumping in, like Exxon." Does anyone know what he would be talking about there? I don't recall seeing Exxon's name associated with batteries (at least, not in a positive way).

But the closer is fun too. At GM, they "do the big data" and "turn this into an optimized solution." Its lost in that gulf between statements that actually say something and full-on buzzword bingo.

I guess redundant, but it looks to me like he is a manufacturing executive who is accustomed to having multiple levels of management to insulate him from any actual manufacturing and who has essentially zero understanding of batteries. This is how the top is uninformed about reality and then make strategic decisions based on that lack of understanding.

Any serious comments on this interview?
I am so pursued by the guy and felt Tesla could be fall behind in 8 years because of the solid state battery. I am a weed in the wind, you know

Serious comments? Bueller?

Its hard to take it seriously. I swear I've read articles like this in the Onion.

I was inspired by @ReflexFunds to see the impact from option hedging. This is the raw impact from all the open exchange traded puts and calls . Will look to update this frequently.

Code:
Using 770.0 price, 90.0 imp vol, 20.0 point move:
Hedge impact from a 20.0 point move
Down: -2,198,948
Up  :  2,102,330

Using 770.0 price, 90.0 imp vol, 50.0 point move:
Hedge impact from a 50.0 point move
Down: -5,691,039
Up  :  5,084,858

Using 770.0 price, 90.0 imp vol, 100.0 point move:
Hedge impact from a 100.0 point move
Down: -12,085,881
Up  :  9,626,198

EDIT:Hedge impact indicates how many shares have to be bought (or sold) by the market makers to become delta neutral. Assumes 100% of the market makers are hedged. this is certainly lower than mid last week, but higher than the Monday or Friday before that where a gamma squeeze got us to almost 970.

Last edited:
They’re doing a weird set of mental gymnastics. The rumor is that Google would buy Tesla for $1500. The $8000/share is how much value they supposedly expect to get out of the deal.

Is there an a actual rumour that Google wants to buy Tesla for $1500? I thought it was just a random hypothetical invented by a forbes writer..

That is hilarious. As in, it is so funny that I can't stop reading it. Seriously. I read it once and laughed. Then I went back and read it again and laughed some more. Then started telling my wife and laughing (she humors me).

It is so hilariously bad that a quick read simply doesn't do it justice. The answers are so uniformly clueless that it doesn't even seem like the usual corporate fluff -- its like he genuinely has no clue. At all. Like when asked about "pouches versus prismatic cells" and he answers, "Our future architecture can handle everything. We can flex with the industry." Or, right after that, "we're vertically integrated where understand all that, and how to make it optimal." Its the kind of clueless answer that is just begging for some snark -- except it seems perfect as is. I mean, I'd love to add something snarky about "we understand all that" but, honestly, that's the wording I would use for him. Even the "vertically integrated" line is a hoot. Is this guy a plant? No, not the vegetative kind, I mean he's been implanted to help take down GM from the inside. Microsoft did that with Nokia, maybe the want to get into the car business (j/k).

Oy! How did I miss this gem: "The big boys are jumping in, like Exxon." Does anyone know what he would be talking about there? I don't recall seeing Exxon's name associated with batteries (at least, not in a positive way).

But the closer is fun too. At GM, they "do the big data" and "turn this into an optimized solution." Its lost in that gulf between statements that actually say something and full-on buzzword bingo.

I guess redundant, but it looks to me like he is a manufacturing executive who is accustomed to having multiple levels of management to insulate him from any actual manufacturing and who has essentially zero understanding of batteries. This is how the top is uninformed about reality and then make strategic decisions based on that lack of understanding.

Serious comments? Bueller?

Its hard to take it seriously. I swear I've read articles like this in the Onion.

LOL thanks it sure sounded like gibberish to me, but wanted to hear someone else’s take. And how did I miss that comment about Exxon?

BUT, what in blazes is meant by this quote, near the Exxon non-sequitur::
“And 3M is coming out with what I call plastic water. It’s electrically insulated, thermally conductive water.”

EDIT: I just read the article comments, recommend for more hilarity. You might consider adding some of your own..

Last edited:
It's a shame about 3 and Y not getting air suspension. In the US size and luxury generally go hand in hand. However, in Europe etc. many demand luxury in smaller cars. Being able to park in tight spaces is a luxury and a need.
The most expensive VW Golf (without options) costs $47k for instance.

Anyway, I'm happy that Elon remains laser focussed on building the best robotaxi where cost and reliability of the suspension is more important.

Reactions: Eugene Ash