Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's make this clear:

Big auto has to cannibalize gas car growth to grow it's electric car sales and sell them at a loss to compete on sticker price. More electric car sales, lower gas car sales. If lower gas car sales, can't finance growing electric car sales and investment.

I give it a term.

Structural implosion.

Now, look at Tesla's total addressable market globally.

Here's another one, but for utility/energy industry:

Tesla offers cheaper, more local, not rate payer captured *kwh* than PG&E(any big utility)to "gas up" those electric cars. They will be at your grocery store, you favorite coffee shop, your air bnb... solar+energy storage banks, megapacks that a city community can store their excess solar on, and retrieve like "cloud energy" for a "app" from Apple App Store for 9.99/month or priced out on a per kwh basis, cheaper direct $/kwh than utility. This in addition to home solar+storage cheaper, non rate payer captured long term kwh to be used at home, with option to join established energy banking services as well as direct peer to peer "energy share" market.

Tesla can install this capacity at a fraction the time and cost the utility can. ie peaker plants take nearly a decade from planning, approval, to build and running where same solar+storage in a matter of 3 months or less at scale. That's not to mention utilities plan on a 20 year basis then put it to commissions to raise rate payer rates to pay for it.

Again, structural implosion.

Now, look at Tesla's total addressable kwh market globally. (over 150,000+ twh/year globally and say Tesla revenue is .05-.10/kwh at 5% marketshare)

Good news, Tesla is growing rapidly and can ensure your auto and utility customers can transition to Tesla products and services a fast as gigafactories come online, now at about 1-1.5 years per factory and are starting to build multiple at a time.

Last edited:
Phase 1 Model Y production is just 1 of four roughly identical buildings ultimately planned for the site.

GF4 is freaking huge. Check it out on map overlays vs. Tesla's other facilities. They could easily do 2M cars per year there, just within the footprint that they've already listed as planning to build on. But they additionally have a ton of outlot land that they could use to expand to even larger sizes if they decided to in the future.

To compare with all other GF

@GF4Tesla..️️.build #GigaBerlin. on Twitter

“Electronic cars”? This fits the classic “I’m now dumber for listening to this”. I don’t know if he’s an idiot, but he sure comes across as one.

Never trust someone who uses the term "electronic" cars. In my experience, that is the dead giveaway that everything else they say about them will be wrong. ;)

late last night I noticed 45 New Model 3s appear in local inventory (SE florida) - first new batch of the quarter to show up here, they were all AWD or performance. Now there's just 1 $66k all the bells and whistles performance model left.
*while writing this I refreshed the inventory page and they added 1 SR+.

Inventory's been weird today. Around 20 3s got added locally here, including a bunch of stealth Ps, and then around an hour later it all disappeared at once and we're back to zero.

Nice. Except there is a glut of lithium, not a shortage. Prices are near multi-year lows.
No, not really a glut. Lithium hydroxide prices slumped because Chinese EV demand tanked after last year's sharp drop in subsidies. It takes multiple years to bring a new conventional lithium mine into production, and Jr. Mining Co's are not expending the capital at the scale Tesla will need in just a few years, never mind over the next 10.

TL;dr Tesla needs all the lithium it can get for its production plans, and much more than is currently available regardless of the price.

EQwcJ7wWoAYrHyU

Logging progress at Giga Berlin site. Source: Emil Senkel on Twitter

Shouldn't it be a percentage of fleet size still under warranty?

I imagine warranty costs as a percentage of the fleet size is dropping even faster.
The question was if Tesla should raise money to pay off debt. Elon thought it was a dumb idea. That was aspie language for that raising money for other reason than to pay off debt may or may not be a good idea.
I am unfamiliar with the details of the convertible debt. I remember reading on this site that Tesla at their option could pay in stock or cash Due to the large spread between the .conversion price and the secondary offering doesn't it make sense for Tesla to use the cash they got at $767 per share vs a conversion per share price of say $360. Doesn't that cut the dilution in half?

• Helpful
Reactions: kbM3 and Dig deeper
No, not really a glut. Lithium hydroxide prices slumped because Chinese EV demand tanked after last year's sharp drop in subsidies. It takes multiple years to bring a new conventional lithium mine into production, and Jr. Mining Co's are not expending the capital at the scale Tesla will need in just a few years, never mind over the next 10.

TL;dr Tesla needs all the lithium it can get for its production plans, and much more than is currently available regardless of the price.

I agree. The current glut won't last. Tesla's growth alone is going to skyrocket global consumption this year.

Harder to predict is what sort of prices lithium will settle into in the longer term, which determine what sort of resources will be optimal or production. For example, lithium clay reserves are monstrous and easy to get at, but your production costs on the carbonate may be somewhere around ~$7k or so per tonne of carbonate, so at current prices, that's a hard ask. But at $15k-$20k (or even more), it's a lucrative resource that will scale rapidly.

Last edited: