Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if the GF4 news had hit a little earlier, we would have closed a little higher.

After hearing weeks of fearmongering about bats, ants, birds and trees. really nice to put this to bed. GF4 secured.
At the rate they were moving, the rest of those trees should be cleared by... about now.

Just a note for those who didn’t read @verygreen ‘s full Tweets, he suggesting they are more likely hiding upcoming HARDWARE changes in the new firmware and not necessarily AutoPilot / HW3 stuff.

@verygreen's been wrong about previous battery pack speculation though, IIRC he suggested the recent Model S/X range upgrade was due to a new, larger battery pack, which was a miss.

I'm also questioning the wisdom of speculating about a major HW upgrade, exactly when Tesla is performing the end of Q1 push... o_O

Last edited:
if the GF4 news had hit a little earlier, we would have closed a little higher.

After hearing weeks of fearmongering about bats, ants, birds and trees. really nice to put this to bed. GF4 secured. Congrats to Tesla and Germany.

Thanks - but too early to say GF4 secured. We still don´t have a final building permit - decision is only that the preliminary permit to do preparations including cutting trees is reinstated. Final permit will take till May or so. However, a high likelihood of the latter being granted is a prerequisite for the prelimiary permit and was taken to be given by the court.

Last edited:
Its undeniable that GF4 is secured, but I doubt the opposition will surrender that easily. Fully expect more flare ups.

There will definitely be more protests and more court cases, by nut cases from both the far left and far right. They supposedly are collecting money to pay for further legal proceedings and called for a protest on Saturday. Wahnsinn! Let’s hope reason keeps prevailing in political and legal circles.

Thanks - but too early to say GF4 secured. We still don´t have a final building permit - decision is only that the preliminary permit to do preparations including cutting trees is reinstated. Final permit will take till May or so. However, a high likelihood of the latter being granted is a prerequisite for the prelimiary permit and was taken to be give by the court.

The final permit is given by Brandenburg state though, which has gone out on a limb to support Tesla (within lawful boundaries), to a pretty much unprecedented degree in the state's history.

GF4 is the biggest new industrial project in Brandenburg since the reunification, and they clearly want to make it work.

So I expect them to resolve any permitting roadblocks with the same pragmatism and constructive approach they've shown so far.

The final permit is given by Brandenburg state though, which has gone out on a limb to support Tesla (within lawful boundaries), to a pretty much unprecedented degree in the state's history.

GF4 is the biggest new industrial project in Brandenburg since the reunification, and they clearly want to make it work.

So I expect them to resolve any permitting roadblocks with the same pragmatism and constructive approach they've shown so far.
$TSLA may have finished down 2% today, but this GF4 news has put a big smile on my face. There was none of the anticipated hedging with respect to applying some constraints, just a quick and complete vindication for Tesla.

(Besides closing a hair under $900 just isn't that bad)

Question for the raging bulls with a hold 'em till the wheels fall off strategy.
Would you or do you ever put your shares at risk with selling covered calls? The recent gouging on buying calls has me thinking about selling short term, low probability calls. The way I understand them, at worst, I am forced to sell my 100 shares at the strike price and keep the fee. At best, I still keep the fee and my shares.
The example I'll use here is 3/20/20, $1,200 strike pays $1,600. Would it really be so bad if I sold 100 shares at $1,200 a month from now knowing what I do today.
I am thinking about writing covered calls to fund diversifying my portfolio. I'd rather monetize some upside potential than sell shares.

Yup.

A. The wave of positive press and free advertising will be crazy.
B. It will validate the "crazy" super bull thesis around robotaxi.
C. It will trigger a wave of Tesla owners to upgrade to FSD, which would be mostly pure margin.

I would be a little cautious about expectations of the performance of the first few iterations of software for the new V3 hardware. It will likely come with a lot more functionality and improvement visible to current owners which will trigger "A" (above) but it will also be far from perfect which will trigger a slew of articles about how far away FSD seems or how dangerous this new technology is. Expect a lot of FUD. So, I don't expect the first versions to do much validating of "B". I expect "C" to be somewhat muted. I think if purchasers didn't buy FSD originally, most of the upgraders will wait until it's more mature and some will wait until it's good enough to use without anyone in the driver's seat.

Going forward, the increasing functionality will probably steadily increase the uptake of FSD with the car which will be one more driver of steadily increasing margins (which is one of the best drivers of the share price).

In short, the first versions might "wow" owners, but not so much the general media and markets.

OK who's drawing Tesla logos on the chart? Show-off

upload_2020-2-20_16-44-3.png

Just a note for those who didn’t read @verygreen ‘s full Tweets, he suggesting they are more likely hiding upcoming HARDWARE changes in the new firmware and not necessarily AutoPilot / HW3 stuff.

Well the Semi, Cybertuck and Model Y all have new hardware which the firmware will need to handle.

It's not unthinkable they have been driving on a prototype branch of the firmware which only recently is merged into the main firmware release.