Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I very much appreciate the context explanation. Many years ago a fellow by name of Rukeyser used to have an investment show on the TV of the day. He used a nickname to refer to one group and style of investors. He used "Elves". It was a bit whimsical and clever and it worked without harm or foul. This case suffers a bit in comparison. Names are a serious thing with unexpected powers.

At one time I was a sysop of a compuserve forum having a lot of discussion of various SW vendors. There were a lot of clever names/abreviations used in postings that had a bit of slamming quality to them suggestive of an ad hominem. Simple things like spelling vendors names with a clever twist slowly became divisive as opinions became more hardened. With a bit of effort I decided to try to always make references respectfully as the owner had established. It really is the best way to have a discussion. This group is unusually good in this respect IMO.

Learned a lot from Rukeyser in my early days.
[Holy Smokes, just noticed I joined the Board in Jan ‘14, took me almost 2 years to buy a car, but I’ve sure learned a lot and profited multiples of the car price. Thank you one and all.]

Last edited:
To bring something to the table myself, I'll bring some metamaterial. There seems to be quite strong consensus among my personal bubble that European sales will be good starting from Q1/20-> This is based on a supposed Tesla strategy based upon european CO2 fines. Excluding Toyota, all other ICE manufacturers are going to needs to pay from near 1billion up to WV 4.5 bn on estimated fines 2021. Source:
Report: At current rate of EV deployment, automakers not expected to meet EU CO2 targets - Electrek

I got something today.
20200222_131138.jpg

Btw, the install time is super encouraging. I'm not going to disclose, as apparently there's some competition going on between the service centers.

However, it is not yet being installed for everybody who comes in; they have some prioritization plan they're working through; the line is based on the vehicle purchase date.

Last edited:
Mildly tangential to this post is the recent comments on a YouTube channel called "What about it"

At about 9:25 minutes in, he makes a startling statement about Starship. Musk is targeting a build cost of $5 million each and a production rate of 2 per week. This is staggering disruption! $5 million for a Starship. Imagine building 100 Starships for only half a billion dollars. I expect these will be commercialized to the public at some point. Most big visionary corps will want to have a few.

Starship

I have been waiting a week or so for someone to correct this pricing but have heard nothing. This is kind of a big deal. To be able to produce a Starship for this cost (or even 2-3x) will introduce orbital commercialization on a gold rush scale as I imagine it. This may be our modern Conestoga Wagon (a reference to the type of wagon used by pioneers settling west of the Mississippi).

I think an island is interesting but and having a 50 meter tall Starship is the true indication of having arrived;)
FIFY

• Funny
Reactions: Fact Checking
What strick price and what date are you picking?

Me personally? I have my stock (not calls) hedged with a mix of June $550 and $600. Didn't want to go out to July as I didn't want to price in Q2 deliveries. When I extend it'll be to September, for the same reason re: Q3 deliveries.

I've stuck with relatively short-term puts because my expectation is continued stock price rises, so I don't want them to be too expensive, as I'd be upgrading them during a rise. And at the same time, having an expiry nearly half a year in the future gives sufficient time for any bad news to bottom out the stock and max out the value of the puts.

But there's different strategies one can take.

Last edited:
I agree. No one on this board will gain any insight into, or learn a thing about Tesla from this documentary. At about the 1 minute mark or so, I said to myself, "oh boy, here we go with the BS" - but decided for SOME stupid reason to keep watching. Man, I'll never get those wasted minutes back.
What's even worse is that half the financial system takes Bloomberg new energy finance numbers as gospel (because they can sell it to their internal risk teams). The impact of BNEF having subdued forecasts is that more fossil projects get finance than they should and fewer renewables projects get finance than they should.

Mildly tangential to this post is the recent comments on a YouTube channel called "What about it"

At about 9:25 minutes in, he makes a startling statement about Starship. Musk is targeting a build cost of $5 million each and a production rate of 2 per week. This is staggering disruption! $5 million for a Starship. Imagine building 100 Starships for only half a billion dollars. I expect these will be commercialized to the public at some point. Most big visionary corps will want to have a few.

Starship

I have been waiting a week or so for someone to correct this pricing but have heard nothing. This is kind of a big deal. To be able to produce a Starship for this cost (or even 2-3x) will introduce orbital commercialization on a gold rush scale as I imagine it. This may be our modern Conestoga Wagon (a reference to the type of wagon used by pioneers settling west of the Mississippi).

I think an island is interesting but having a 50 meter tall Starship is the true indication of having arrived;)

Correct, and the Starship fuel costs are even more crazy: less expensive for a long distance flight than an airplane.

Starship is going to disrupt the airline industry, both passenger and cargo transport.

Not over The Pond - we're in Belgium. Still it's all-expenses factory tour including parking, flights, meals and accommodation. Not aware of any reciprocal arrangements, they just said to him "because you're one of the earliest reservation holders". AFAIK he's not even on Facebook or Twitter...

Thanks. Hmm, thats not how Porsche usually acts but thanks or informing.

If they invite someone they always expect something in return even if that person does not know or is aware about that he actually is doing it. To invite someone because he is an early adopter would only make sense if they believe it could be an influencer at some point in time.

I know them to have supply issues with a variety of problems to solve but your post would almost point them to have a demand problem too which makes sense as the low range issue and bad efficiency may hold many back.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot? - EVs (Electric Vehicles) on the Brink of Change
Lots of bad information in this program. You would think legacy is on equal footing to Tesla. Not suprising coming from wallstreet. It shows how far ahead retail investors are compared to institutional investors.

Agreed. And no Tesla spokesmen. Did Bloomberg invite any? If so, did Tesla refuse? :eek:

So it takes a full day to charge at home? No mention of adding 240-volt outlets to a garage. :confused:

Of course Tesla doesn't advertise, and this essentially was a pro-bono advertisement from Bloomberg for EVs from legacy automakers. Advertising is the lifeblood of the media. Nevertheless, it still may have gotten more people to think about Tesla. :cool:

Agreed. And no Tesla spokesmen. Did they invite any? If so, did they refuse? :eek:

So it takes a full day to charge at home? No mention of adding 240-volt outlets to a garage. :confused:

Of course Tesla doesn't advertise, and this essentially was an advertisement for EVs from legacy automakers. Advertising is the lifeblood of the media. Nevertheless, it still may have gotten more people to think about Tesla. :cool:
What is the average age of the CNBC viewer anyways? The average age of CNN and Fox News viewers is something staggering like 67 years old. If the average age of CNBC viewers is similar, then this program more or less hits their target demographic perfectly.

Remain to be seen if the construction work is going to be as efficient what has been for GF3 by the Chinese. I hope my skepticism is wrong.

Efficiency is the 2nd forename of us Germans (excluding Taycan, e-tron, EQC ...) and won't be an issue but legal matters and people who believe Tesla takes their water away which is pure nonsense may cause more legal cases.

Most important is now that the emission regulators are giving their approval and the construction permit is granted. After that point it will be hard to stop or slow down construction.

All relevant trees are down BTW just a few remaining likely there are holes in them and they want to check if an animal is hiding.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot? - EVs (Electric Vehicles) on the Brink of Change
Lots of bad information in this program. You would think legacy is on equal footing to Tesla. Not suprising coming from wallstreet. It shows how far ahead retail investors are compared to institutional investors.
Agreed. And no Tesla spokesmen. Did Bloomberg invite any? If so, did Tesla refuse? :eek:

Of course Tesla doesn't advertise, and this essentially was a pro-bono advertisement from Bloomberg for EVs from legacy automakers. Advertising is the lifeblood of the media. Nevertheless, it still may have gotten more people to think about Tesla. :cool:
What is the average age of the CNBC viewer anyways? The average age of CNN and Fox News viewers is something staggering like 67 years old. If the average age of CNBC viewers is similar, then this program more or less hits their target demographic perfectly.

My post was in regard to last night's Bloomberg documentary, not the one presented by CNBC today. Of course the demographics might be somewhat similar. For my defunct financial news TV program, the average viewer was around 55. But keep in mind that this was due to programming in the daytime on weekdays, when the stock market was open, and it was largely retirees that were completely free to view. The Bloomberg EV documentary was in prime time. BTW, I'm 74 and have been a Tesla shareholder for 7 years.

Last edited:
Lately...yes! This bull run has been messing with my sleep. I wake up and the first thing that pops into my head is: what's happening with GF(x) or the latest delivery numbers, when is battery day, etc. The list goes on and on as you know! :eek:

But this is good as it's getting me closer and closer to "calling in rich". :cool:

The first pop-up notification on my iphone every morning is 'check your TSLA stock price' The AI knows everything......

I got something today.
View attachment 513966

Btw, the install time is super encouraging. I'm not going to disclose, as apparently there's some competition going on between the service centers.

However, it is not yet being installed for everybody who comes in; they have some prioritization plan they're working through; the line is based on the vehicle purchase date.

Hm, wondering... can you give a hint what you think it might be? Something to do with Autopilot/FSD - do you have HW 3.0 yet? Guess I missed something, as noone else is asking...

Hm, wondering... can you give a hint what you think it might be? Something to do with Autopilot/FSD - do you have HW 3.0 yet? Guess I missed something, as noone else is asking...

I think he was saying he's not supposed to disclose the time it took to retrofit HW3, since the service centers are competing to bring their time down.

I've never seen that progress bar around the AP icon, but I'm assuming it's indicating the recalibration period that follows a HW3 install.

Do you need margin for selling the puts?
How do you get out of a sold-put position? Does a buy of the exact same option cancel the previous sell?
You don’t need margin - just the cash available in the account to buy the shares at that price. If you have margin, the cash needed is lowered (they consider the margin you have as cash available but not sure if it is 1:1 to actual cash). So if you sell a $500 strike price put and don’t have margin, you need to have 100 x $500 = $50,000 cash in your account.

To close the put, you can just “buy to close”. There will be bid/ask price range and of course you try to close it at the lowest possible amount. Most of the time they remain much lower than the SP so they just expire worthless and I don’t have to close them.

I am also selling way OTM calls expiring in 1 day to 2 weeks. This has worked very well the last couple weeks - basically free money and if the SP did rise to those levels, my core shares/LEAPs would be worth so much more I wouldn't mind taking a loss or selling some of the core to compensate for it. Note I did not do this during the crazy spike from 400 to 950. I was buying way OTM calls all along and did very well (as I have described before).

As for the puts (your question), I am holding a relatively large cash position right now (from cashing out those OTM calls 2 weeks ago) with the expectation of adding to my core shares if the SP drops. The OTM puts I am selling are 1-4 weeks out and at levels I would love to buy the shares at. So if the SP drops and those puts end up ITM, I'll happily buy the shares at a discount compared to what they cost now.

This works, until it doesn’t anymore. We are in a unique situation where selling far OTM calls that expire within 1-2 weeks can still provide a nice premium. That wasn’t the case when we were hovering between 250 and 380 for years. It’s only possible because IV spiked during the recent run up. If the stock price settles down or we end up in a trading range it will no longer work (the premium will no longer outweigh the risk). Enjoy it while it lasts.