Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found this - a Tesla delegation met privately with an official of the German federal department of traffic. Supposedly multiple topics, the only thing that was leaked was that they asked for an exemption of electric trucks (Tesla semi) from the rule that generally, big trucks cannot drive on Sundays. Will supposedly be considered. Would be a serious marketing advantage, seems like semi is coming for real..

I would guess they also talked about Auto Pilot limitations in Europe.

Vertrauliche Gespräche im Verkehrsministerium: Tesla will Sonntagsfahrverbot für Elektro-Lkw kippen

Thanks for sharing. Here is the same story in English:

https://www.en24.news/N/2020/02/tes...h-sunday-driving-ban-for-electric-trucks.html

"The US automaker Tesla plans to launch an electric truck with the “Semi” model shortly. In order to create an incentive for freight forwarders to order the battery pack, Tesla apparently wants to overturn the Sunday driving ban in Germany. The “Business Insider” reports. Initial talks with the Federal Ministry of Transport are said to have already taken place."​

Cheers!

I don't want to needlessly sell mainly because of taxes. The short term gain taxes I would pay would far outweigh any margin interest savings I would get from changing brokers. I've been financing the monthly margin I pay by selling OTM covered calls. Because of the insane Tesla volatility, selling weekly covered calls and selling naked puts can be very lucrative and more than cover the 8-9% margin interest I pay and then some.

I started this account with about $100,000. I was treading water until I discovered Tesla. I first bought 50 shares of TSLA in April 2018 after the stock dropped from Model 3 production problems. I figured any manufacturing problems could eventually be solved and the market had overreacted. The stock quickly rebounded and shot back up to around $300+ range and I was hooked. I bought some more in the $300 range and started really learning about Elon and Tesla. I bought and read the book about Elon and came away very impressed with him. Then I listened to all the earnings conference calls, product reveals, and any interview of Elon I could find on the internet and Youtube. I spent crazy amount of time reading and watching everything on Elon and Tesla. The more I researched and learned, the more I became convinced Elon was the real deal and he and Tesla was going to change the world. Then his take private tweet happened.

When I saw his take private tweet, I panicked and went full margin to buy as many TSLA shares as my TD account allowed. I think my account peaked at around $150k before the climbing back down once people started to question the funding secured story. Then I went through some painful months with Elon with him taking a puff of weed on Joe Rogan podcast and then later SEC lawsuit. That was painful time for me being on full margin but I'm sure it was even more painful for Elon. I traded around constant margin calls and survived. And when Tesla made surprise profit 3rd quarter of 2018, I become whole again and reached around $150k again in December 2018. I could've sold all my margin position in December 2018 but I got greedy and thought Tesla had finally turned the corner. I didn't want to sell something I thought could easily be 10x or more in the next 5-10 years. So I held thinking 2019 was going to be awesome with the Model Y introduction and possible S&P 500 later in 2019. Then Q1 2019 happened. And I almost went from $150k to $0.

I was still on full margin in April 2019, and I started getting margin calls almost everyday. April 2019 to June 2019 was like bad nightmare. I sold and traded my TSLA position to save my account. I didn't think Tesla would go from $376 in December 2018 to $178 in June 3, 2019. I think I ended putting in around extra $40k into the account so I wouldn't lose all my TSLA shares. On June 3, 2019, my account was worth around $45k but $40k was new money I added to save the account. Only about $5k of the original $100k remained. But even during this darkest of time, I didn't lose faith in Elon and Tesla. I had two other accounts so I bought TSLA in those accounts. I also bought TSLA for my mom and my sister's IRA accounts. I think I got them in at around $192 or so. I told them to never sell and they're real happy with me today as their IRA accounts have grown to levels they didn't even dreamed of.

I started lurking on this forum and thread around June 2019 I think. The awesome members and posters helped me navigate that difficult period of my life and helped me keep my faith in Elon and Tesla. I bounced back strongly after the surprise Q3 2019 earnings and kept my foot on the metal by continuing to margin to the max. I was so aggressive that I was sometimes getting margin calls even as TSLA stock price was going up if we had one or two down days. But I had a sense of extreme urgency. I felt like I had to acquire as many TSLA shares while the price was still affordable. And I figured the margin debt would become smaller part of the portfolio if price of TSLA increased. So I kept increasing my leverage and pretty much kept 1:1 ratio of equity and margin debt. Because TSLA is concentrated position for me, I can't get the normal 4x margin.

I'm now in better place, and I'm no longer on full margin. I own 1,300 shares of TSLA and one Jan '21 $300 call and one Jan '21 $420 call. I still have $270k of margin debt, but I feel that's pretty manageable. I sell weekly OTM covered calls to cover the margin interest I pay each month. But I don't sell covered calls if I think TSLA is about to move up. I've been caught and had to buyback sold calls at huge loss. Then I feel like I've been run over by steamroller while trying to pickup pennies in front of it. :)

I took out the $40k lifeline money I added back in June 2018 and gave that back to my wife. That was her money, and I'm very grateful she gave me the money in my time of need. She's been awesome throughout this whole process. When I asked her the other day what would happen if something like June 2019 happened again, and she said we started with $100k on this account so we would just be back to where we started. She said we were fine then and we would be fine again. I love my wife.

Here's picture of my account today.
jbPxaz9h.jpg

You can see the low on June 3, 2019 at $44,857. That was with $40k new money added. So the real balance was like $4,857. That was crazy time and really tested my resolve. It's true, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Here's all time chart of the account. You can see the account had around $100k and then the graph lines going all up and down after around July 2018. I think that was around the time of the funding secured tweet and I first went full margin. My daily volatility has been insane since.
DUpKuqFh.jpg

Thank you for sharing your ‘adventure’. However, it doesn’t sound like it did your health much good. You came out well in the end, but going all in on margin is quite a gamble, even if you are convinced about the future of the company. That bump in the road - Q1 of 2019 - could have wiped you out.

Question: if you have 1,300 shares and a call 300 and a call 420, why is your balance showing 1,032 million and not 1,280 million?

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Just curious, what’s ur number? Range only cuz to me “island invasion” number exceeds like 20mil. Reading the book “The Number” and its really a good thought primer and makes ya think about things like: once I invade the island...

now what?

BTW My myopic view:
No debt, comfortable, 1 home (modest) kids outta college, retire 60: $4mil
No debt, comfortable, 2 homes (again modest) same as above: 6mil
Island invasion: 15mil as an entry level invasion. (Ask politely to visit then.... whaaamo!)

Fire Away!:)
(It’s the batteries, Stupid!)
Yeah the thing is island invasions can get costy....but the idea of a contrived invite followed by a quick planting of my flag would release some financial pressure....hmmm.

The funny thing is, it is a when not if senerio for the SP to go ballistic.
What we have seen so far is just like the flying water tower. Wait till we reach escape velocity...then I could plan a full on invasion no problem.

So it's all about timing.

Just found this - a Tesla delegation met privately with an official of the German federal department of traffic. Supposedly multiple topics, the only thing that was leaked was that they asked for an exemption of electric trucks (Tesla semi) from the rule that generally, big trucks cannot drive on Sundays. Will supposedly be considered. Would be a serious marketing advantage, seems like semi is coming for real..

I would guess they also talked about Auto Pilot limitations in Europe.

Vertrauliche Gespräche im Verkehrsministerium: Tesla will Sonntagsfahrverbot für Elektro-Lkw kippen

If that Sunday blue law is actually due to noise or exhaust concerns, then indeed it should not apply to any EVs.

TSLA isn’t immune to black swan events but my personal opinion is that money flows would target safe havens and TSLA has a risk profile that, oddly enough, matches up with some of the equities perceived to be safer right now. I think you’d see a much greater mass exodus from AAPL than what we’ve currently seen. AAPL is only 5% off it’s all time high right now. Meanwhile, TSLA should have been at $500 per share 3 years ago. Again, in my opinion...

I have 40 k calls that I bought during the dip at 880 on friday. They are tesla 900 strike price for Feb 28. Once I get to 100 k I'm going to buy a 100 tesla shares are not look at it for 10 years
What happens if TSLA doesn't break 900 this week. your options will lose approx. 25% of the value each day the price stays around $900.

Your breakeven on the trade is also likely close to $935.

Manager your trade wisely so you still have capital left on Friday to buy a share.

• Disagree
Reactions: Doit and SpaceCash
What happens if TSLA doesn't break 900 this week. your options will lose approx. 25% of the value each day the price stays around $900.

Your breakeven on the trade is also likely close to $935.

Manager your trade wisely so you still have capital left on Friday to buy a share.
So true. I did the same (i.e. too much in short term calls) a long while back, and lost the entire $60K I put in. Not going to do that again after watching David Lee's Youtube video plus his posts on TMC and that of many wise folks. Haven't sold a share for the past 2 years as I continue to accumulate.

David also mentioned protective puts in one of his Q&As. I was thinking to ride out any recession, as he mentioned, will work for me as well. But after reading today's posts from Fact Checking and others, I may buy some puts if some plans come up to use that money at some point in the next 5 years.

This clip has it all: wing doors, explosions, aitonomy, a scarcely populated post-corona virus world. A great idea with the bobble head: HOV lanes:cool:

Perhaps most importantly of all, Total Recall was set on Mars !!

... I think we may have cracked Elon's source of inspiration. A friend of mine thinks hes from another planet anyway, as well as going out with a Replicant. However, Blade Runner (1982) was a bit before his time, and I have put him straight on both counts.

Last edited:
Lmao I know

This is true but I usually just sell them Monday morning after a pop they're already up since I bought them on the dip on Friday so as long as tesla opens flat on Monday I wont have lost any money I have no intention of holding these past mon / tuesday.

Strategy has worked for a few weeks I started with 2k tbh so if I lose a little I won't be as upset
Interesting...i don't trade weekly options often. Is there additional theta decay over the weekend?

If so, that works to the disadvantage of a purchaser but would to the advantage of an options seller??

Not bad not great.

Entry cost: $253 (net credit)

Maximum risk: $2247 at a price of $775 at expiry

Maximum return: $253 at a price of $918 on day 28th Feb 2020

So you will get 250 bucks as a credit up front as long as tesla stays above the 800 you will keep the maximum credit but you stand to lose 2246 if it keeps dropping.

Doesn't it just need to be above 800 to make the $253?

Daimler is in deep trouble:

Bernstein says Tesla won’t be bought: ‘We struggle to see it being sold as a going concern’
"What assets are attractive? Tesla no longer has genuinely differentiated tech. The production plant is sub-par. The Gigafactory is probably not essential," Max Warburton at Bernstein writes.

and

Max Warburton to join Daimler AG as Advisor to the Management Board and Head of Special Projects | Daimler
Ola Källenius, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars:
“Max has a wealth of automotive expertise. As well as his strategic and financial perspectives he brings an unusually deep understanding of the operational, regulatory and technological complexities that we are facing”

Thank you for sharing your ‘adventure’. However, it doesn’t sound like it did your health much good. You came out well in the end, but going all in on margin is quite a gamble, even if you are convinced about the future of the company. That bump in the road - Q1 of 2019 - could have wiped you out.

Question: if you have 1,300 shares and a call 300 and a call 420, why is your balance showing 1,032 million and not 1,280 million?
I agree. I went through tremendous amount of personal stress. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Being on maxed margin like that is rather foolish and super risky. Logic says I should've wiped out many times. 50% loss is 100% loss on max margin and like I said I was down to like $5k at the worst point. I'm still amazed that I survived that 2019 Q1 and the period after. So I got real lucky. You don't know how many times I just wanted to sell everything and just walk away. The mental games your mind goes through when you're holding such concentrated position and full margin is insane and regular people have no idea the pain and anguish it can cause. Even small daily movements can scare you. All I can say is the MMs are very good at what they do. So when you sold your position during the crazy drop after $968, I could relate. That's why I wrote I somewhat understood what you were feeling and went through. We all went through hell and back to get to where we are today. So I take nothing for granted and appreciate everyone on this board for their contributions and educating me every day. I haven't told anyone in my life other than my family about my Tesla position. And that's not going to change, and I plan on keeping it a secret.

I have about $270k still on margin so not all 1,300 shares and 2 ITM calls are fully mine. And I have small number of Virgin Galactic (SPCE) shares and small number of 2/29 $1,200 lottery ticket calls in this account as well. So that's why it's showing less than 1,280 million. I'm just happy to have kept it above $1 mil the past couple of days so I could keep my promise to my wife. I know she was disappointed being Tesla millionaire for only half a day last time even though she won't admit it. My goal is to eventually eliminate the $270k of margin debt and keep 1,500 shares margin free. I would love to get to 2,000 shares margin free but that will take lot of risk or luck. And at this point I want to be little more conservative with my plays. My original goal was 1,000 margin free shares.

Max Warburton is a genius. Batteries totally not essential. Guess it's not a big deal that Daimler can't get enough batteries for the EQC.
BTW, that was an old article written since 2018 when Tesla was on not so solid ground. Although it has been updated last year, I am sure most info are still outdated. Not sure why it is posted here an old article btw.