Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ‘decimal’ is implicit to the metric system. A very handy system that seldom poses problems unless you’re trying to translate exquisite American dishes like the quarterpounder with cheese.

I would say that the decimal has its name from its primary use in a base ten numbering system - this is not bound to the metric system. We could have ended up with a base two system (where a half would be written 0.1) - or maybe better a base twelve system (so 10 would be divisible by 2 and 3, 10/2 = 6, 10/3=4, 1/10=0.1), the metric system would then have its prefixes being powers of that chosen base instead of ten. Apologies for the digression.

The ‘decimal’ is implicit to the metric system. A very handy system that seldom poses problems unless you’re trying to translate exquisite American dishes like the quarterpounder with cheese.

Wait...so the USD$ is considered "metric money"?:confused:

At least we have a start on our conversion to the metric system! o_O

Yup, American cheese translates better into the imaginary number system. If you look at it, it has to decide whether it is cheese or not.

Since the Coronavirus hit TSLA has outperformed the overall market

I have learned a lot from your analysis and inputs but will have to disagree with this one comment. TSLA has been on par with the market or underperforming. The only positive has been that the SP on a daily basis increased on high volumes and decreased on low volumes. This is always a bullish sign.

I have no idea who this person is, but they have 8 million twitter followers and claim their tesla just saved their life...
Ethan Dolan on Twitter
One half of social media stars the Dolan Twins. That's right, soon even teenage girls will be talking about how OMG Tesla has totally saved their future husband.

OT but it's the weekend: Just passed Bill Gates driving his Taycan outside Seattle.

upload_2020-3-7_15-53-20.png

upload_2020-3-7_15-53-54.png

Accidentally made eye contact with him since I kind of sped up to check out the car.. slightly awkward!

Very slow buildup....

• the €200 million pilot plant to be launched in mid-2021 at Saft’s Nersac facility
    "The first phase of the project focuses on R&D, including building a pilot plant on the land of Saft’s Nersac facility. The plant is scheduled to start up in mid-2021 and represents an investment of 200 million euros. The project will generate around 200 high-skilled jobs in France’s Nouvelle-Aquitaine region to develop, qualify and commercially scale up new, high-performance lithium-ion batteries."
  • 8 GWh gigafactory to be built in the northern Hauts-de-France region in France starting in 2023 (then expanded to 16 GWh and to 24 GWh)
  • 8 GWh gigafactory to be built in Rhineland-Palatinate state in Germany (then expanded to 16 GWh and to 24 GWh)
  • the total output to be 48 GWh by 2030 (2x 24 GWh)
    "This first phase will trigger the investment decision for a large-scale production plant (8 GWh initially, rising to 24 GWh later on) in the northern Hauts-de-France region, followed by a second one of equal capacity in Germany, in order to reach 48 GWh of combined capacity by 2030."
I don’t think they (legacy in general) can comprehend the momentum and urgency Elon and Tesla are applying to the business. Shanghai will be over 300,000 cars by early next year, Germany will be 500,000 by end of 2021 and the USA will probably have at least one new factory in construction. Monthly production will be above Q4 2019.
on another note, if the Cyber plants can be built to scale at 100,000 or even 50,000 they can build regional plants. Without presses that need to run at 500,000 or more to make sense, the cyber truck can scale down and still run at high margins. many legacy manufacturers scaling up to 250,000 by 2025 or 2030 are going to be light years behind on tech, pricing and capabilities.

My MCU1 AP2 Model X (FSD purchased) does not provide me with the option to purchase the MCU2 upgrade yet. I'm seriously considering the upgrade for the following reasons, in order of importance from highest to lowest:

1. Sentry mode
2. Caraoke (kids will love it)
3. Much smoother UI experience
4. Video stream
5. Better Games
6. Some futureproofing (MCU2 has 5.0Ghz Wifi compatibility)
7. Enhanced FSD visuals

That seems like a lot of value for the price to me. But then I consider how much $2500 can be worth if I put it into TSLA instead and that leaves me undecided haha.
Why not invest that money in TSLA until MCU3 comes out and then buy that instead?

That average figure sounds around what would be expected given they were starting the second shift after Chinese New Year. I estimated 1500/week for the final 6 weeks of Q1.

The info regarding the Panasonic/LG mix is also very interesting. Seems like there is some way to go before batteries and packs are all MIC. If Shanghai is using 700 packs per week from GF1 that could impact how quickly Model Y can be ramped.

As is becoming increasingly clear for all manufacturers, ramping battery/pack supply is difficult. It's a good job Battery Day is coming :)
I don't think the information provided in the 'production numbers' tweet supports that conclusion yet. It is equally possible that the first 2,365 MIC Model 3s produced in Feb used Panasonic cells, until such time as LG product was able that meets Tesla's specifications. Then (once LG was able to supply approved cells), the remaining 1,559 cars produced in Feb used locally sourced LG Chem cells.

Neither of potential interpretations is supported by the available data. The best answer is, 'we don't know yet'.

Cheers!

Tesla : we have a car that can do almost 400 miles on about $10K worth of batteries
GM : oh yah? well we'll have a car in 5 years that can do 400 miles on about $20K worth of batteries

you forgot:

Media: GM’s Tesla Killer: Detroit automaker announces EV that can do 400 miles on a single charge

Wall Street: ZOMG SELL TSLA

View attachment 519154

:)

Also, there should be scaleup from February to March. February was basically the worst possible circumstances, and some scaleup would be expected regardless.
Perhaps, but I don't think its clear yet that GF3/Shanghai is operating 7 days x 2 shifts per week. I think the norm in local industry is a 6 day work-week. At the very start of production, GF3 was running 5 days prod. + 1 day training per week. That doesn't mean Tesla is constrained to that schedule going forward, I'm simply suggesting we don't know yet what they will do.

And so I remain open minded on how the calculation should be done when mapping a partial month total back onto 'per week' output, then extrapolated that forward once more to estimate 'full month' production. Especially with the first week after the restart of production clearly being in a rampup mode.

We'll get better numbers soon enough: the 2020Q1 P&D report will be out in ~26 days. :D

Cheers!

Last edited: