Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the information provided in the 'production numbers' tweet supports that conclusion yet. It is equally possible that the first 2,365 MIC Model 3s produced in Feb used Panasonic cells, until such time as LG product was able that meets Tesla's specifications. Then (once LG was able to supply approved cells), the remaining 1,559 cars produced in Feb used locally sourced LG Chem cells.

Neither of potential interpretations is supported by the available data. The best answer is, 'we don't know yet'.

Cheers!

Unlikely. The same LG/Panasonic ratio existed in January, too.

Perhaps, but I don't think its clear yet that GF3/Shanghai is operating 7 days x 2 shifts per week. I think the norm in local industry is a 6 day work-week. I think at the very start of production, they were running 5 days prod. 9 1 day training per week. Doesn't mean Tesla is constrained to that, I simply suggest we don't know yet.

And so I remain open minded on how the calculation should be done when mapping a partial month total back onto 'per week' output, then extrapolated that forward once more to estimate 'full month' production. Especially with the first week after the restart of production clearly being in a rampup mode.

We'll get better numbers soon enough: the 2020Q1 P&D report will be out in ~26 days. :D

Cheers!

When does Tesla usually release the P&D report? 1st working day of the new quarter? Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
OK, dude, you're my only hope of not making this prediction look silly! :D

Unless they suddenly came out with a Model 3 that is a hatchback, I believe you made the call.
They were also blocking off the parking lot in anticipation of something.
I will swing by tomorrow...

They cannot "sell" on Sundays in Colorado but it will be good to look around the parking area that they coned off this morning.

Last edited:
Unless they suddenly came out with a Model 3 that is a hatchback, I believe you made the call.
They were also blocking off the parking lot in anticipation of something.
I will swing by tomorrow...

They cannot "sell" on Sundays in Colorado but it will be good to look around the parking area that they coned off this morning.
I was driving on I5 south from Seattle to Fremont last Sunday, saw 9 semis of Teslas and pretty sure I saw 2 Ys on a trailer full of 3s. They were the last two cars on the top of the trailer so it was easy to notice the difference. Forgot to check my cam to confirm but I can tomorrow.

The coming weeks will be interesting. German radio (Bayern 5) reported tonight that due to disruption of supply chains out of China, some German manufacturers will likely be in need of emergency funding to avoid insolvency.

In that perspective it is amazing that GF3 is continuing to crank out cars - Tesla's vertical integration and high level of automation helps, but I still see it as a challenge to ensure continue supplies for GF3, while the virus runs its course.

But so far, so good.
Well. production does not seem to be interrupted except the one week at GF3. It is possible on the other hand that supply chain issues might have caused problems in Fremont as well possibly forcing air freight delivery instead of surface, finding secondary suppliers at higher prices, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
BMW X series vs Tesla Model Y

Cleantech News — #1 In EV, Solar, Wind, Tesla News | CleanTechnica

A3DAE6F0-083A-42ED-8949-2A585226CE47.jpeg
B7EA2929-F46B-4451-968A-5786890C01C0.jpeg

In Colorado, does the day of delivery equal the date of sale?
In Colorado, they cannot deliver and finalize the paperwork on a Sunday as it would offend the car dealerships.
So yes, day of delivery, if it involved any paperwork, would need to be Saturday or Monday.

It used to be that they were not even allowed to answer even basic questions on Sunday. Some of us owners used to hang out at the stores on Sundays to volunteer to answer questions. They have a little more flexibility now.

This might already be commonly known here, but it's news to me. I had assumed March 15 was the first date of deliveries for the Model Y. Some fellow on Reddit received a date of March 11:

Picking up Model Y on Wednesday, 3/11 : teslamotors

I was on the Model Y forum area here on TMC back when people were starting to get their emails to schedule delivery. Recall one guy saying he said he couldn't make any of the dates from the 15th through the end of the month and was then able to access dates earlier in the month. He posted the calendar letting him pick an earlier date. He didn't know if it was a glitch or not and I never went back to follow up on his post.

Do you all remember reading something about how Tesla internally rushed to be able to build / deliver the Model Y to both combat the expiration of the tax credit and to also help keep demand up through a recession or pullback?

I forget the exact article or rumor where I read that 3-4 months ago, but it does seem like Tesla is playing 4D chess and is always thinking ahead. I don't know how you can bet against this company.

Do you all remember reading something about how Tesla internally rushed to be able to build / deliver the Model Y to both combat the expiration of the tax credit and to also help keep demand up through a recession or pullback?

I forget the exact article or rumor where I read that 3-4 months ago, but it does seem like Tesla is playing 4D chess and is always thinking ahead. I don't know how you can bet against this company.

Huh? The Model Y is now only being delivered but the Federal Tax Credit for Tesla expired at the end of 2019, so Model Y has no federal tax credit available.

OT but it's the weekend: Just passed Bill Gates driving his Taycan outside Seattle.

View attachment 519294

View attachment 519295

Accidentally made eye contact with him since I kind of sped up to check out the car.. slightly awkward!

Is that the 520 floating bridge? Cool sighting! I bet that car tailing behind him is his security detail.

You didn't wave at him with the two-handed Tesla AP wave? :D