Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone played around with his 3D CGI skills?
upload_2020-3-8_5-42-34.png

That post has since been removed, I am unsure how to interpret that.

I have a strong feeling that Elon Musk would like to be take part in the first Model Y deliveries, so March 11 is consistent with Musk's confirming his presence at GF4 around March 15.

Here's a crazy idea:
The first Model Y deliveries will take place in Fremont with Elon Musk remote piloting (i.e. using summon) each car to its new owner, while the whole thing is being streamed. :)

Some of the Reddit post was saved by Teslarati:

Tesla Model Y delivery date confirmed by California buyer, first deliveries earlier than expected

"Update: The source that reported a March 11 delivery date has retracted their original statement. Teslarati is in contact with additional sources whom indicate Tesla employees are being offered first access to Model Y. An update will be provided as we learn more about the first Model Y delivery dates."

The Reddit user has been deleted as well, not just the article, which is pretty rare and drastic.

Speculation:
  • either it was a deliberate hoax,
  • or it was a Tesla employee who didn't realize that early deliveries are under NDA,
  • or the car was purchased by a teardown firm for $$$,$$$ and they requested all public info to be removed so they can maximize the value of their early teardown report.

Early results from poll:
What is the most important Tesla product/revenue stream that the public haven't even heard of?
This poll will close on Mar 11, 2020 at 9:48 PM.

1. Semi
    5 vote(s)
    23.8%

2. Megapack
    6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. *
    Solar Roof
    6 vote(s)
    28.6%

4. Roadster
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

5. Plaid S/X
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

6. FCA payments
    4 vote(s)
    19.0%

A few days to go. I went for the roof but I really wanted to select the semi too.
Software

Just wanted to share that I have never felt this bullish as I do now.

Model Y is coming earlier than expected, it is half the price as the BMW X5M/X6M while having same range/cargo/acceleration and better handling(due to lower centre of gravity), safety, real infotainment, autopilot etc. It is just a better car and it might take a time for people realize this, but as it is people will gravitate towards it like crazy. I hope I will get mine to Europe by summer so I can drive it around and help inform people of its existance. It is the car US/Europe/China has been waiting for. As production of it ramps, its demand will ramp. And it will kill profits for the competition, some of them will go bankrupt further decreasing competition and thus increasing demand.

Ramp is going great, Model Y deliveries in Q1, Shanghai Phase 3(Model Y) is going up faster than Phase 1(Model 3) was, so I would not be surprised if they start production of MIC Y in 2020. With or without FSD margins should be crazy for Model Y, while also increasing margins for 3, S and X. Model 3 is ramping in China, 5k/week goal from July, that is 18weeks of 5k/week = 90k for Aug-Dec plus some for Jan->July, likely 100k for the year in China. I thought 550k for the year, now I am beginning to think 650k for 2020.

Gigaberlin looks like it’s going well and Tesla has figured out how to copypaste their production lines, I expect Model Y MIG to start being delivered by Q2 2021. Would not be surprised if Tesla for 2021 makes 600k cars in Freemont, 400k in China, 100k in Germany and 100k in Texas for 2021, that is 1.2M cars. By then with FSD finally being ready(robotaxi not) I expect >$10B in FCF for 2021 and todays market cap to seem silly.

Battery supply will be solved, Tesla will buy batteries from everyone, Samsung, CATL etc will ramp to meet China demand and at some point Tesla will add their own to the mix.

FSD I still trust that Karpathy, Keller, Elon, Bannon etc knows what they are doing and their 3D auto labelling will produce insane datasets and mojo and deepscale will train crazy networks that will have great software around then and fully make use HW3 sometime this year. FSD will be another selling point and further improve margins. And at some point, in 2-5years I think the robotaxi will activate. Waymo might have had a few years head start, but the number i-Pace they will have on the road will not be huge by then anyway and Tesla will win by scale and better design.

Love how this sounds. But I would be shocked to see real production in Germany and Texas for 2021. Want to be wrong.

I think 550k for 2020 and 800k for 2021 would be spectacular. Can look for 1.2M in 2022.
Don’t see why the stock results would be much different as long as that 50 percent keeps hitting annually.
Really interested to see how fast they can ramp the batteries and what we could see from energy businesses.
Battery day is a big deal and cannot come soon enough.

Some of the Reddit post was saved by Teslarati:

Tesla Model Y delivery date confirmed by California buyer, first deliveries earlier than expected

"Update: The source that reported a March 11 delivery date has retracted their original statement. Teslarati is in contact with additional sources whom indicate Tesla employees are being offered first access to Model Y. An update will be provided as we learn more about the first Model Y delivery dates."

The Reddit user has been deleted as well, not just the article, which is pretty rare and drastic.

Speculation:
  • either it was a deliberate hoax,
  • or it was a Tesla employee who didn't realize that early deliveries are under NDA,
  • or the car was purchased by a teardown firm for $$$,$$$ and they requested all public info to be removed so they can maximize the value of their early teardown report.
I do not care about the date. All I want to hear is about the teardown report.

I am going to come clean now, so you can all go ahead and shoot me. Against the express (non-)advice of several TMC posters, I have become an automotive short-seller. Last week I put together an anti-portfolio of a dozen publicly traded, traditional car makers, short sold them all in more or less equal amounts and bought Tesla shares for all the proceeds. This explains how I could post that I had increased my number of TSLA shares by 10%, in spite of TSLA having gone up so much in recent months.

Why did I adopt this strategy?

First, with all the recent bullish Tesla news (Model Y deliveries about to start, ground-breaking at GF4, GF3 ramping production & extending capacity, massive roll-out of v3 chargers, FSD improvements, solar roof installs increasing), I felt compelled to get more long exposure. So my decision to short-sell traditional auto was compared with buying on cash margin:
1) TSLA is and likely will remain for some time a very volatile stock, so buying on cash margin could bring disconcerting swings to my leverage,
2) A COVID-pandemic could wreck havoc on the stock markets, in which case cash is king - so in that scenario (with its possible investment opportunities) I would like to not be sitting with a large, negative cash balance,
3) By leveraging via traditional auto, I basically hedge against a general down-turn in the auto-industry: If Tesla and every other car maker fares badly, then my leverage changes less - this is in fact what I have seen during this week,
4) The short borrow interest on my chosen stocks is comparable to the cash margin interest - so with dividend payments a possible wild-card, the cost is comparable,
5) I am unsure for how long I will maintain this short position, but a large fraction of the posts on this forum have been bullish on Tesla by describing the poor outlook for the competition. So I feel there is a distinct possibility that my anti-auto-portfolio can outperform the margin interest rate even on a longer time-scale,
6) By short selling a large number of auto makers, I spread the risk of my short exposure, so even if a couple should do very well, I should not end up with catastrophic returns,
7) Most importantly, I have been able to convince myself that I am not investing against traditional auto because of a general sentiment against them (a typical TSLA short-seller mistake), rather I am simply convinced that they will perform rather badly in the coming months and years and that there is a low risk that they will perform well in the same time frame.

Of my one dozen stocks, I already decided this week to cut my profits in the case of Mazda, I simply could not stomach the 20% borrow fee on the stock. So I am down to 11 stocks. I never considered shorting any Chinese auto maker, not only do they seem further wrt. BEVs but I also don't understand the market there, especially how their government may intervene in case a company has trouble. I also did not short Porsche, given the obscene price of their Taycan it should have a healthy gross margin, and VW seems to prioritize cells for it over etron and ID.3 (also the borrow fee is quite high). Lastly, no shares could be located for Hyundai, so I didn't have to wonder how their Kona will work out for them.

The first couple of days I guess my unusual step brought about some anxiety - also because I am now betting on the poor performance of the employers of several of my neighbors. But to be honest, a bet on Tesla is already a bet against traditional auto. Now I feel very much at ease - I realize now that before I made this investment, I had a nagging feeling that by _not_ directly investing against traditional auto, I was leaving money on the table. Time will tell if this is true. I am not going to ask anyone to wish me luck.

TL;DR: I bought more TSLA by shorting these stocks: VOW3, DAI, BMW, RNO, UG, FCAU, GM, F, TM, HMC, NSANY.

PS. Edited for clarity + typos.

Last edited:
I am wondering if Tesla has licensed the Hunstable motor:
Hunstable Electric Turbine promises far more power from a comparably sized electric motor

I wish I had thought of this.

It would seem logical that this motor, combined with Maxwell battery technology, is part of the ‘alien’ technology in the upcoming plaid powertrain. Maxwell battery tech and Hunstable would be the two missing pieces in Teslas secret sauce. Tesla already has Silicon Carbide drive electronics (which other automakers are trying to incorporate).

Look at this quote:

"So far, Linear Labs has inked deals with a scooter maker, with Swedish electric drive system firm Abtery, and with an unnamed firm designing a hypercar to be released within two years, utilizing four HETs."

Who wants to bet that the 'unnamed firm designing a hypercar to be released within two years, utilizing four HETs' is Tesla with their 2nd-generation Roadster?

Also, because of the licensing cost, it seems logical that Tesla might use this a differentiator between the Model 3 and Y on the low-end, and the Models S, X, and Roadster on the high-end.

And then there is this quote from the article:

"We asked Brad how long he thought it would be before we’d see an HET in a car like the Chevrolet Bolt. “Three or four, some say five years out … There are longer lead cycles to get into production for big companies, [but] we are in joint development agreements, we are testing with [automakers].”

Automakers plural. But my money is that Tesla will be first out of the gate.

Links:
Home - Linear Labs

Last edited:
I am going to come clean now, so you can all go ahead an shoot me. Against the express (non-)advice of several TMC posters, I have become an automotive short-seller. Last week I put together an anti-portfolio of a dozen publicly traded, traditional car makers, short sold them all in more or less equal amounts and bought Tesla shares for all the proceeds. This explains how I could post that I had increased by number of TSLA shares by 10%, in spite of TSLA having gone up so much in recent months.

Why did I adopt this strategy?

First, with all the recent bullish Tesla news (Model Y deliveries about to start, ground-breaking at GF4, GF3 ramping production & extending capacity, massive roll-out of v3 chargers, FSD improvements, solar roof installs increasing), I felt compelled to get more long exposure. So my decision to short-sell traditional auto was compared with buying on cash margin:
1) TSLA is and likely will remain for some time a very volatile stock, so buying on cash margin could bring disconcerting swings to my leverage,
2) A COVID-pandemic could wreck havoc on the stock markets, in which case cash is king - so in that scenario (with its possible investment opportunities) I would like to not be sitting with a large, negative cash balance,
3) By leveraging via traditional auto, I basically hedge against a general down-turn in the auto-industry: If Tesla and every other car maker fares badly, then my leverage changes less - this is in fact what I have seen during this week,
4) The short borrow interest on my chosen stocks is comparable to the cash margin interest - so with dividend payments a possible wild-card, the cost is comparable,
5) I am unsure for how long I will maintain this short position, but a large fraction of the posts on this forum have been bullish on Tesla by describing the poor outlook for the competition. So I feel there is a distinct possibility that my anti-auto-portfolio can outperform the margin interest rate even on a longer time-scale,
6) By short selling a large number of auto makers, I spread the risk of my short exposure, so even if a couple should do very well, I should not end up with catastrophic returns,
7) Most importantly, I have been able to convince myself that I am not investing against traditional auto because of a general sentiment against them (a typical TSLA short-seller mistake), rather I am simply convinced that they will perform rather badly in the coming months and years and that there is a low risk that they will perform well in the same time frame.

Of my one dozen stocks, I already decided this week to cut my profits in the case of Mazda, I simply could not stomach the 20% borrow fee on the stock. So I am down to 11 stocks. I never considered shorting any Chinese auto maker, not only do they seem further wrt. BEVs but I also I don't understand the market there, especially how their government may intervene in case a company has trouble. I also did not short Porsche, given the obscene price of their Taycan it should have a healthy gross margin, and VW seems to prioritize cells for it over etron and ID.3 (also the borrow fee is quite high). Lastly, no shares could be located for Hyundai, so I didn't have to wonder how their Kona will work out for them.

The first couple of days I guess my unusual step brought about some anxiety - also because I am now betting on the poor performance of the employers of several of my neighbors. But to be honest, a bet on Tesla is already a bet against traditional auto. Now I feel very much at ease - I realize now that before I made this investment, I had a nagging feeling that by _not_ directly investing against traditional auto, I was leaving money on the table. Time will tell if this is true. I am not going to ask anyone to wish me luck.

PS. I am short these stocks: VOW3, DAI, BMW, RNO, UG, FCAU, GM, F, TM, HMC, NSANY.
BCGzeU2.jpg

Yes, lot's of people in the EU are looking forward to the Y.

But do you have any reason to expect to take delivery this summer - or did you mean summer of 2021? Production start at GF4 is planned for (no earlier than) July 2021.

BTW, I also feel super bullish on Tesla - in the sense that because of all the recent good news, I still feel that at the current SP it is undervalued.
Initially deliveries were supposed to start
US: Fall 2020
EU: Early 2021

Tesla have been able to move up production(and maybe ramp) by 6-9months for US production. If the same applies to EU production, I was hoping that a few ships of Model Y will leave Freemont in July and arrive in August for a late summer delivery. If Giga Berlin is 15months(as some rumors said) away I assume the first batches of Model Y in Europe will be made in US, so it would make sense to start sooner rather than later. Let the early adoptors create a demand that Giga Berlin can fulfill.

Imo Tesla should start shipping a few Model Y Performance FSD White seats, FCA-credit high margins Model Y to Europe, let customers know that if they don’t want to wait a few months like initially planned, that is their only shortcut for now. These can give test rides and drive around and look awesome and will increase demand for Giga Berlin cars!

Hunstable Electric Turbine promises far more power from a comparably sized electric motor

It would seem logical that this motor, combined with Maxwell battery technology, is part of the ‘alien’ technology in the upcoming plaid powertrain. Maxwell battery tech and Hunstable would be the two missing pieces in Teslas secret sauce. Tesla already has Silicon Carbide drive electronics (which other automakers are trying to incorporate).

Look at this quote:

"So far, Linear Labs has inked deals with a scooter maker, with Swedish electric drive system firm Abtery, and with an unnamed firm designing a hypercar to be released within two years, utilizing four HETs."

Who wants to bet that the 'unnamed firm designing a hypercar to be released within two years, utilizing four HETs' is Tesla with their 2nd-generation Roadster?

Also, because of the licensing cost, it seems logical that Tesla might use this a differentiator between the Model 3 and Y on the low-end, and the Models S, X, and Roadster on the high-end.

"We asked Brad how long he thought it would be before we’d see an HET in a car like the Chevrolet Bolt. “Three or four, some say five years out … There are longer lead cycles to get into production for big companies, [but] we are in joint development agreements, we are testing with [automakers].”

Links:
Home - Linear Labs

One interesting thing about this motor is that it is able to operate efficiently at very low RPM's so in principle, it should be possible to use it in a direct-drive configuration, i.e. without even a reduction gear.

For a BEV with 3 or 4 motors, that will simplify the design a lot - saving weight/cost.

Look at this quote:

Links:
Home - Linear Labs

Gonna say nope.

They compare their performance to a permanent magnet motor. The Tesla model 3 style is beyond that. Tesla efficiency is already over 90%, the claimed 10% range increase would put them at 99%. (Actually not, since this does not impact the rest of the losses in the vehicle, so even going from 90 to 100% motor efficiency would not get you 10% more range).

Roadster is trimotor, not quad.

More torque at low speed is a matter of stator winding count, and trades off back EMF at higher speeds. Which they address by adding mechanical induced field weakening.

What is the cooling system for the enclosed stator?

Tesla does not use or need a boost converter stage to drive their motor. The high voltage pack only needs a buck converter stage to drive the motor. (Which also acts as a boost stage in regen)

It might come out first on the Roadster or the Semi but it won't be because of licensing cost. The cost to license something like this should be no more than $30-$50/car. Once it's in 20-40 million cars the inventor has taken in around $600 million- $2 billion in license fees.

Exciting stuff! It sounds ideal for building in-wheel hub motors due to its lighter weight.

Reactions: UncaNed and Lessmog
Unless they suddenly came out with a Model 3 that is a hatchback, I believe you made the call.
They were also blocking off the parking lot in anticipation of something.
I will swing by tomorrow...

They cannot "sell" on Sundays in Colorado but it will be good to look around the parking area that they coned off this morning.

I checked out the parking lot this morning. They have most of it coned off for deliveries. There were no Model Y's parked outside today. Maybe I saw some advance employee deliveries yesterday? I will look again tomorrow and post when I have something positive to report.