Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's surprising just how much the market is not paying attention to what it means to have Tesla with:

1. + $2.1B (cap raise) in cash assets
2. + FCA $$ in cash assets
3. Scaled up Q1/2020 Energy w/ SolarGlass roof humming
4. Potential great Q1/2020 in Automotive w/ Giga3 + Fremont humming
5. 1st inning of the start of the Paris Climate Accord w/ banks now involved
6. Whatever the heck comes out of "Battery Day"

...and the fact that Elon Musk isn't even paying attention to this ramp up. He's in Boca Chica, TX ... scaling up manufacturing for 1,000 spaceships that are taking people and supplies to Mars.

Biggest single-day S&P % drop since September 2008.

Not saying the same thing will happen because we can’t predict the future.
But, I still remember everyone talking about buying opportunity pretty much every day all the way until 50% of market value was gone during the previous recession. Very few were willing to acknowledge how bad the situation was becoming then.

They canceled the unveiling of their electric car next month too. I'm still not sure why, the article didn't go into concrete details.. Their conviction must not be that strong.

GM is weird that way. It wasn't called the EV2 by any chance? They probably scheduled them for the crusher as a pre-emptive measure. ;)

They canceled the unveiling of their electric car next month too. I'm still not sure why, the article didn't go into concrete details.. Their conviction must not be that strong.
It's possible Tesla might postpone some of their investor days. I guess they could just livestream them and skip the audience. I think the solar event invited people to the New York factory. We will have to see what they do.

But, I still remember everyone talking about buying opportunity pretty much every day all the way until 50% of market value was gone during the previous recession. Very few were willing to acknowledge how bad the situation was becoming then.
Are you saying it wasn't a buying opportunity (for those investing long term)? Just because you get a better deal the next day doesn't mean it wasn't good before. If I had the money and bought today at $630 or so and it dropped to $550 sometime in the next week -- so what? Tesla is going strong and this will, eventually, be reflected in the stock price.

If you mean the USA's lackluster response to COVID... well, yeah, even if the disease isn't zombie apocalypse the lack of effective response has set it up to get a lot worse. But it is accelerating the demise of weaker companies and is having an economic impact.

It's possible Tesla might postpone some of their investor days. I guess they could just livestream them and skip the audience. I think the solar event invited people to the New York factory. We will have to see what they do.
I'm driving the Jeep up to Buffalo for Battery Day and would love to take the top down for at least some of the ride. Pushing it back to mid-May is fine by me!

Edit: Lets be honest.....Elon was gonna be a couple weeks late anyway.

And if they'd held what they'd bought on the way down then they were into good profits, what 6 months later, or something like that?

Any buy from here is good, it will all rebound and go higher than the recent highs, if not tomorrow, next week, or next month whatever. That's the way to goes.

So.... I got margin called one of my positions, and lost some actual real cash (a REAL loss :D). This bums me out...because I'm pretty sure that it will all turn around pretty rapidly, once the model Y is in the news, and we get Q1 production/delivery.
The trouble is, I made a rule with myself to have a limit as to how much cash I'd put in my trading account, and i'm right at it now. I do NOT want to be one of those dorks who loses his lifes savings because he didnt know when to stop :D

I'm mostly playing with previous TSLA winnings anyway, so the actual loss is still zero.

If it carries on down tomorrow, I could be margin called even more, but I just cant imagine it continuing to fall without some deep pocketed long term investors deciding to scoop up stock at a bargain. Is that just wishful thinking?

There seems to be a problem with the automotive market cap spreadsheet[1] as it appears that SAIC has taken the number one spot from Toyota with a market cap of $260B -- either that, or I missed some huge news

1) Top 25 Automakers by Market Cap

Only to be expected after TeslaBjørn bought their MG ZS EV Model!

There seems to be a problem with the automotive market cap spreadsheet[1] as it appears that SAIC has taken the number one spot from Toyota with a market cap of $260B -- either that, or I missed some huge news

1) Top 25 Automakers by Market Cap

Well that spreadsheet draws it's data from Yahoo which indeed shows SAIC's market cap at $260B. CNBC OTOH shows it at $38.6B. A glitch in Yahoo's data I'd say.

saic.jpg
saic2.jpg

(EDIT: see bottom right corner of each screen clipping for market cap)

So.... I got margin called one of my positions, and lost some actual real cash (a REAL loss :D). This bums me out...because I'm pretty sure that it will all turn around pretty rapidly, once the model Y is in the news, and we get Q1 production/delivery.
The trouble is, I made a rule with myself to have a limit as to how much cash I'd put in my trading account, and i'm right at it now. I do NOT want to be one of those dorks who loses his lifes savings because he didnt know when to stop :D

I'm mostly playing with previous TSLA winnings anyway, so the actual loss is still zero.

If it carries on down tomorrow, I could be margin called even more, but I just cant imagine it continuing to fall without some deep pocketed long term investors deciding to scoop up stock at a bargain. Is that just wishful thinking?

I am afraid I think that is wishful thinking as you are betting for a break in the trend. That's always the most difficult to forecast. Trend from December to February was a rapid and positive revaluation of Tesla's business. It was Tesla specific. The environment has changed. The trend now is a big negative macro move. Tesla is moving at a multiple of the macro for (pick your thesis: reduced Tesla energy business vs. oil, reduced new car demand in recession, lower new EV demand with cheap oil, etc.). Macro-economic factors don't look like they will resolve quickly so I wouldn't bet against the macro moving lower short-term. And if it does Tesla seems likely to share that fate.

Last edited: