Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I just re-did my math. Only down 880,000 (in paper losses)
But I love my family, take my dog for a walk.... and know that the end is not near...just a rather large bump on the rd..with a big mud filled pot hole. Then it's clear sailing...for a while.
I am down over $1 million from ATH (on paper only) but this is with early 2013 shares. It is interesting how calm and serene I feel about TSLA. I'm 64. This family is staying home, plenty of food for a couple of months (damn!! I forgot to buy coffee). Just taking walks and hikes in the mountains, visiting nobody. It's been raining here. Yesterday we parked overlooking the Pacific Ocean and watched a netflix movie, only in a Tesla!

I've been running my high-end audio business from home. I am getting customers upgrading their systems since they'll be home awhile. Not a bad life actually.

Well, there you go!

Nice hammer candle on the daily chart to support the idea of an at least short term bottom if we close in this range. Not surprised that it formed when we touched the area around the old ATH. Just my opinion, but I don't think trading ranges will save us from deteriorating fundamentals, so let's hope that doesn't happen.

Anyone think this will have any effect?

The Federal Reserve Board announced today that it will establish a Commercial Paper Funding Facility (CPFF) to support the flow of credit to households and businesses. Commercial paper markets directly finance a wide range of economic activity, supplying credit and funding for auto loans and mortgages as well as liquidity to meet the operational needs of a range of companies.

Federal Reserve Board announces establishment of a Commercial Paper Funding Facility (CPFF) to support the flow of credit to households and businesses

Very small data point, here in Santa Barbara, CA, a friend of mine received his email from Tesla this to upgrade his CPU to HW3. So at least service is not winding down.
2 datums... mine is being installed right now along with new tires and glass. (I haven't had an update for about a month thinking that's why.) No changes in Tempe Az and still busy as heck. Their Model S loaner is scary tho. No autopilot and performance on chill is very boring. I hate steering (but smooth ride I liked). Too many screens everywhere! I want my Model 3 back!!!

I have not given up trying to understand TSLA and how it goes up and down.
I do recognise that whatever I feel I should do is wrong (except maybe to HODL. I haven't sold a share.) But I bought in at $644. Then held. When it got to $940 my stock friend told me to "take some earnings." Of course I felt like, "It is going to the MoOoOooOn, why should I sell?
Then it dropped.... and I wanted to sell, but I listened to the forum about buying the drop. And again I screwed up. I bought it at $833 thinking THAT was the "dip."
And so now I just HODL. And wake up every day playing rock paper scissors, and always choosing HODL. When it goes up I should sell and when it goes really really down I should buy...but I can't figure out *sugar*.
The only thing I know is that I bought the right company.
I think...maybe.

Welcome to TSLA. I hope now you understand why some of us advised you that there's no substitute for trial-by-fire and straight learning the ropes. Having us veterans spell things out for the newbies is a disservice, because you've now learned first-hand that NO ONE can predict anything short-term with TSLA. The only thing we can reasonably guarantee is the long-term direction of the company.

I've been buying more on the downtrend and it has felt painful all the way, but we'll get through this, especially with vaccines on trial, and china seemingly in control of the infections.

Tesla has it’s $2B loan (stock offering) and GigaChina up and running. I know there was discussion here or maybe on the Coronavirus thread yesterday about whether the Fremont Factory could stay open what with the SFBay shutdown orders. Saw this just posted in an article in TheDrive. Tesla is the largest employer in the county so sure tax dollars generated help make large companies like this essential. Musk also said they haven’t had any reports of c19 and workers can stay home if they feel ill or uncomfortable with situation.

“Alameda County has declared Tesla an “essential business” that is allowed to remain in operation, according to a county spokesman.”

Tesla Declared 'Essential Business' to Keep Factory Running; Model Y Deliveries Begin

My husband has had an annual maintenance scheduled for tomorrow and got an email this a.m. confirming and saying that they had a few cancellations and he could come in earlier if he wanted, so took them up on that.

Last edited:
I read Musks email to Tesla employees. I actually find it is super reasonable.

Alameda county has said they can remain open as they are essential. Musk said if you want to come to work you can, but if you are uncomfortable you can stay home. Then goes to say if you are worried or stressed in anyway he would rather you stay home then come to work.

This sounds super reasonable and level headed to me?

Last edited:
They'll continue to do this regardless of what the Democrats do, but one thing is near certain: overwhelmingly the governing party gets blamed for recessions. Regardless of how good of a blame-game they are practicing.

If there's a recession in November, Trump and Republicans IMO are facing a big electoral defeat, maybe even losing the Senate, assuming Putin doesn't gift them with some big October Surprise. :D

I.e. I'm not nearly as convinced as the markets that a "big" U.S. stimulus package is incoming.
IMO, the reps will be very willing to kill it if they think it will wind up helping poor people.

Of course panic is bad.

But getting ready for the pandemic - minimizing social interaction, getting hospitals and hospital staff ready for a humongous influx of (very contagious, especially to doctors and nurses) corona patients - including priority allocation of equipment and beds - is not panic. It is being prudent. But is intrepreted wrongly here (and by Elon) as Panic. I bet Italy wished they "panicked" in this way...

Seriously? Not a single person here said preparations or precautions or following CDC instructions is an example of panic.

You’re the one interpreting wrongly because you’ve been fearful for weeks now.

Store shelves are bare all over the world — that’s panic.

People are stealing bloody toilet paper out of shopping carts that other people have already purchased — that’s panic.

People flooding ERs because they won’t follow simple instructions provided — that’s panic.

Thinking that this virus is suddenly the one to end the world — that’s panic.

Conveniently forgetting that disease always hits susceptible segments of the population — yup, panic.

Conveniently forgetting we’ve been short medical supplies and staff multiple times in our history and still managed to survive, nay, thrive — panic.

Posting fear mongering statements on the Internet — panic.

Making smug statements like your last — panic induced.

The list is endless. I understand you don’t realize how you come across because you are full of fear. And I understand you think I’m not fearful enough and have likely assumed I’m holding a banjo party for 600 of my closest friends later tonight.

Here’s what I’ve learned in my life up to this point; it is a waste to worry and fear those things that I have no control over. And so I tell the fear to go sit down while I live life and deal with that which I can control. Like my renovations are now postponed in the middle of them leaving my home a disaster area, and my vacation will likely be cancelled by the airline, resort and travel agent — will I see those moneys ever again?, and more importantly there are no fresh fruits, vegetables, milk, bread or other staples of life currently available in my area so I’ve got to meal plan more prudently and make sure not a speck of food goes to waste. I’ve also got friends here who are short staples, so I’ve already been deciding what I will give them if they run out.

I talk to my mother everyday while she’s on lockdown in a nursing home. I remind her to wash her hands, don’t touch her face, enjoy her daily activities and call those people who can’t come to visit so she won’t feel so lonely.

I call my father, who is an excellent social distancer by nature, just to chit chat and debate whether he’ll live long enough to see the planet implode.

I talk with my spouse of almost 30 years, reminding them that as we have always done, together we will get through this too.

I nurture my sense of humor to stay sane in a sea of insane people and because much of this will in fact be superlatively hilarious when it’s over. Already the toilet paper memes are off the chart. And no, relax, I’m not suggesting the death of people is funny.

How is this Tesla/TSLA related? I remind myself every day the importance of this company and the people involved. You or your progeny are going to wish a virus took us all to a better place if Tesla fails, doesn’t grow fast enough and doesn’t force other companies to grow fast enough in complement.

Therefore, I don’t appreciate people who use criticism, scare tactics purposely or ignorantly to knowingly or unknowingly influence others to abandon this man and his company.

At a time when we should be banding together, fear and panic separates us. That’s not anymore ok than the rampant corruption that seeks to destroy Elon and Tesla.

I hold my shares in a death grip because that’s the final hope I hold for mankind.

Adding: I saw a wonderful video from Italy recently, a number of sequestered families playing music on their balconies together as a show of love, support and the surviving human nature of people. If only everyone was like that.

Last edited:
IMO, the reps will be very willing to kill it if they think it will wind up helping poor people.
Maybe not b/c they're short on votes and I doubt they'd avoid helping the poor intentionally. But there needs to be something in it for them, and re-election is looking scary for many already. Maybe they grow a heart? lol.

Tesla rocked by market panic but fundamentals remain strong as ever

Basically mentions the large cash balance after the recent raise and the pent up demand that will be released once this eventually passes.
This recession (no way it's not already happening) won't hit society equally, and neither will the stimulus I'm expecting to see. I believe that those of us on the "good" side of the middle class divide (white collar workers, can work from home, less likely to lose jobs due to sickness or daycare issues, and able to buy stocks on the cheap) will come out swinging. Demand for solar roofs and Teslas will be very pent up, demand for corollas and used cars won't be.
Maybe not b/c they're short on votes and I doubt they'd avoid helping the poor intentionally. But there needs to be something in it for them, and re-election is looking scary for many already. Maybe they grow a heart? lol.
I'm not holding my breath. ;)