Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hydro's are known to cause issues with native species in and around the waterways & disrupt the ecosystem, but I think all hydro is still classified as renewables? cheers!!
Not trying to pile on here, but I think what makes dams in the Amazon Basin a special kind of stupid is the geography. Iquitos, where the Amazon comes out of the Andes is 341 feet above sea level. The Amazon then travels 2200+ miles to the sea. A gradient of 341' over that distance (under 2" per mile) makes for ridiculously, absurdly terrible dams. Huge shallow reservoirs and massive tracts of flooded forest. Although technically renewable energy, I'm guessing that the carbon footprint of the decaying forest makes the carbon "payback" time pretty long. That's without the environmental and cultural damage.

The main drawback of these type of tires is rolling resistance. The article completely avoids talking about that elephant in the room, which makes it ... not very credible.

Michelin says that their current Uptis tire has a similar rolling resistance as a runflat tire at zero-pressure. Which is of course awful.

They have been testing their Uptis tire on a Tesla Model 3 for over two years, and Tesla was not involved then and probably it not today either. I am sure their are trying to sell it to Tesla, that's as far as these "talks" could be. Or maybe for offroading the CT, at best.
Best use case for these tires would probably be Boring Tunnels.

Not trying to pile on here, but I think what makes dams in the Amazon Basin a special kind of stupid is the geography. Iquitos, where the Amazon comes out of the Andes is 341 feet above sea level. The Amazon then travels 2200+ miles to the sea. A gradient of 341' over that distance (under 2" per mile) makes for ridiculously, absurdly terrible dams. Huge shallow reservoirs and massive tracts of flooded forest. Although technically renewable energy, I'm guessing that the carbon footprint of the decaying forest makes the carbon "payback" time pretty long. That's without the environmental and cultural damage.
Absolutely trying to pile on. I, along with my friend Seldom Seen Smith, pray for that precision earthquake that will free the Colorado River from Glen Canyon Dam.

Are you sure about that? Everything I have read said that the BYD Blade cells are prismatic.

The pictures on the BYD site seem to confirm that:

You are correct

Sorry folks, my bad

FWIW, there's nothing about Teslas that make you exempt from needing wiper blades or your washer fluid topped off-- and the A/C filter does indeed need to be changed every 2-3 years (depending which model and filter you have) same as the Volvo--- though if you live someplace with Ranger service they'll come do it at your house... (not for free though- the wiper blades aren't free either-- they HAVE topped off my wiper fluid free though!)
Typical Knightshade missing the forest for the trees, and then going off on a tangent about the straw man.

"This morning I took my Volvo XC-40 Recharge to the dealer for the mandatory and free to buyer two year 'service'"

"if I had a Tesla there would not be even that." because Tesla doesn't drag their customers into a dealership for unnecessary service just to prop up a vestigial dealer network.

It doesn't matter what the unnecessary maintenance was, it matters that it was unnecessary.

Did they change perfectly good wiper blades for equal quality blades and toss good ones in the trash? Did they replace good blades with worse blades? Did they toss a filter in the trash that didn't need to be changed yet?

Did they waste the owners gas or electricity to make the trip for a required visit?

Was there a penalty for not showing up (voiding warranty)?

Those are all more important points than the concept that other cars use windshield wipers and filters.

And at this point -- at least where I drive -- it is starting to look like a solution in search of a problem. I have not had a flat in more than a decade in the East. Though Colorado and Utah have generated one each in the past 15 years.
I haven't been so lucky. I had one Sunday and had to wait for a flatbed tow to a closed tire shop and was without car overnight. My tire ate someone's old tire weight and my tire was deflated completely within 2 blocks. Also had a flat 3 years ago, but luckily in a town with a SC and I was able to get a loaner tire within an hour. I've had 3 flats in 35 years of driving.

Reactions: advocate8
17.500 insured units last week in China, best week this year

IMG_7180.jpeg

17.500 insured units last week in China, best week this year

View attachment 1059498
That's interesting data, more variation each week than I would have expected. At then end of q1 the sales were down by about 4k from last year (137k->133k), and with your numbers for last week, that's down about 14k YOY in the week before the end of q2. So down even more than q1 YOY. (279k->247). About 5.6% down from last year's end of q2 sales.

comment on the no stalks been driving CT for over a month now

there is absolutely no need for stalks especially turn signals ... no need to even move hand... been driving over 40 years and i don't miss the stalks at all

and i will repeat SBW is game changer ... i find myself unable to drive my MS ...SBW is so tight and more fun to drive
I drive the Model X Plaid and I find the lack of stalks one of the most annoying issues. Especially in roundabouts where it is a legal requirement here to indicate when you are leaving the roundabout and the indicator buttons will then be upside down. Also horn and headlights on buttons is really bad. I have to look at the wheel to use them which can be unnecessarily dangerous. The other day I needed to honk at a driver of car that for some reason did not see me and I couldn't so I had to step on the brakes instead.

Maybe if the buttons where designed in a way so you more easily find them with your fingers without looking. Or maybe they are and I just haven't figured out how to hold my hands so I can use them without looking at the wheel. But especially in roundabouts with the wheel upside down it will always be a challenge. And we have a LOT of roundabouts in Sweden.

That's interesting data, more variation each week than I would have expected. At then end of q1 the sales were down by about 4k from last year (137k->133k), and with your numbers for last week, that's down about 14k YOY in the week before the end of q2. So down even more than q1 YOY. (279k->247). About 5.6% down from last year's end of q2 sales.
In retrospect, 2023 was an extraordinary year, globally.
Keeping the pace with 2023 is hard enough, I'm content with -5/4%.
Let's see what BYD does in EV in Q2.

Not that true anymore, BYD Blade on Model Y RWD is a pouch cells, but LFP, which makes it way more save and a good candidate for that format

Other than that CATL ones Tesla use are prismatic, which is a middle of the road format, but also fine with LFP
High nickel / high energy pouch cells are the most concerning. I believe that was the type Elon was discussing. And if he wasn't, he should have been!

Reactions: GhostSkater
Typical Knightshade missing the forest for the trees, and then going off on a tangent about the straw man.

You don't seem to be using the word straw man correctly here.

"This morning I took my Volvo XC-40 Recharge to the dealer for the mandatory and free to buyer two year 'service'"

"if I had a Tesla there would not be even that." because Tesla doesn't drag their customers into a dealership for unnecessary service just to prop up a vestigial dealer network.

I literally point out in the post you're quoting that Tesla does that work at your house if you're in a ranger area, rather than having to travel to the dealer. Not everyone has ranger service available of course- and you're free to do the work yourself if you prefer (though the filter can be a PITA to access in certain models/years)

But they still tell you, in the owners manual, you should be doing it- in roughly the same time period. AND they don't do it for free. (legally, the fact Volvo offers it free, is the only reason they can label it "mandatory" for the dealer to do it BTW)

Not entirely sure how a free service props up the dealer either, unless you mean in the internal-money-transfer sense from corporate to dealer- since there's no $ from the customer moving here.

Instead the most likely business reason Volvo is doing this is they want to reassure customers that moving to EVs from ICE does not involve any weird/costly maintenance out of their pockets... Seems a pretty solid idea when selling to a traditionally pretty conservative group (Volvo buyers) with only a very marginal cost to Volvo. Once their buyers are used to the idea you don't need the massively-greater amount of service ICE cars do they can can eventually fade this out (or keep it as a differentiator I suppose)

It doesn't matter what the unnecessary maintenance was, it matters that it was unnecessary.

But again, Tesla ALSO tells you to do this same stuff. Including the same air filter on the same timeframe for some vehicles (slightly more on other vehicles but still called out). They just use "recommended" instead of mandatory-by-dealer because legally they'd have to offer it for free, instead of charge you, if they said the later.

And if you've ever actually done the work to access the filter on, say, a 2018 Model 3, you'd know the amount of effort involved, even if DIY, is such that you might as well actually do it while you've got everything open given the filter itself is cheap- rather than disassemble a chunk of the center console just to "check" and then come back 6 months later to check again.

You seem to have misunderstood (and in some cases ignored the actual words contained in) the post in an effort to score points against a poster you dislike here.

Even worse- the OP already resolved the discussion (in a post I replied to with a like for their added clarity) 2 pages before you jumped in for no reason, by clarifying what they meant with their original post here:

So I'm not sure in what way you think inaccurately going after another poster contributed anything of value to the forum.

Feel free to tell me in PMs, because it sure ain't on topic here.

Last edited:
Basically means
No, it doesn't.
any other discount or incentive would not be effected by the FSD transfer.
That is a true statement.
Getting an FSD transfer does not cause you to get any additional discounts.

However, it is stackable so any other discount or incentive would not be affected by the FSD transfer.

;)

Reactions: EldestOyster