Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C70939C1-CCBD-46AC-A094-93436DA82109.jpeg
3DA3A2D3-824A-4E8F-8DD4-0115F768B505.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
This is interesting:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/wall-street-investors-urge-white-house-to-curb-short-sellers/

"Wall Street investors urge White House to curb short sellers"

The White House is fielding calls from Wall Street to rein in short sellers as the stock market continues to tumble, sources told The Post.

Specifically, several prominent investors and executives have asked the Trump administration to bring back a legacy securities regulation called the “uptick rule,” according to a White House adviser.

This would hurt Tesla short sellers particularly, because options writers couldn't be delta hedging puts as easily anymore, which would drive up the price of puts.

Which could start a special type of short squeeze.

Note that the leak comes from the White House, which suggests that the administration is considering this seriously.

Could signal the global market bottom if the coronavirus infection rate in the US does not blow out next week.

Not advice.

(Cc: @Artful Dodger and @Hock1)

Anything new on this rumor? Cant find anything on Yahoo

Mostly agree, but I think you are OVERESTIMATING the task.

What they would do (if it became necessary/obviously needed), is DISASSEMBLE the GA4 Tent line complete, and move it to a remote site that is out of reach of the SFO County restrictions but is still accessible for logistics.

People here forget that in 1946, after WWII ended, Volkswagen was building Beetles in a bombed-out factory WITHOUT a roof! Get'er'dun! #WHATEVERITTAKES

View attachment 523265

I agree it is a long shot...

But my understanding is the GA4 tent works like this,.,.,,
1. Painted cars are delivered to the start of the line.
2. Parts are delivered to stations on the line..
3. Cars move between stations and parts are used.
4. Finished cars come off the end of the line...

So you need sufficient trained workers at each station, the ability to store and preposition parts at each station, sufficient tools at each station (mainly electric, many hand-held?) and a way of moving the cars between stations...

If it is more complex than this, it isn't that much more complex. (as far as I know)

So I don't think you need to disassemble GA4 just build/find a building somewhere similar to the tent (another tent can be used)
Install a means of moving cars between stations... then consider if you want to go further.

I think it is a long shot, because by the time it could be arranged it might not be needed, closing for 2-4 weeks is easier.

But if I was a manager I might do the steps above as a contingency and hope not need need it, the simple tent/line structure may be able to be re-purposed. It may be low Capex and may only involve a few workers...

Why it may make sense is if the shutdown of Fremont is extended but the export of painted cars is allowed, now it is the difference between zero production and some production.

Last edited:

I'm not saying they couldn't build some cars off-site, but would they be profitable?

The cost of relocating the GA line and setting up all the parts supply, transporting the chassis', etc. would have to be costed over the number of cars produced. And if they can't build them at a profit, there is no point in building them.

I'm not saying they couldn't build some cars off-site, but would they be profitable?

The cost of relocating the GA line and setting up all the parts supply, transporting the chassis', etc. would have to be costed over the number of cars produced. And if they can't build them at a profit, there is no point in building them.

Yes, that is a consideration...

Step 1 is if the export of painted car shells is even allowed. (I have doubts about that)

To have any chance of being viable it needs to be close to Fremont, probably between GF Nevada and Fremont.

Once parts are being delivered it makes little difference if the delivery is to Fremont or 1-2 hours from Fremont.

But any parts made at/near Fremont also need to be delivered..

But is is an option I would at least consider before discarding it.

What they would do (if it became necessary/obviously needed), is DISASSEMBLE the GA4 Tent line complete, and move it to a remote site that is out of reach of the SFO County restrictions but is still accessible for logistics.

People here forget that in 1946, after WWII ended, Volkswagen was building Beetles in a bombed-out factory WITHOUT a roof! Get'er'dun! #WHATEVERITTAKES

View attachment 523265
that VW bug you see there is what we used to call a VW Split Window (see rear window). These would go today on ebay well over $50k.

• Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Extrapolate the Italian daily death rate to the US.... The US pandemic is bigger than everyone imagines, it will be equal or worse than Italy....

Corona is killing the old and chronically ill. Sucks (edit; didn't mean to trivialize the pain) Tragic for them and their loved ones, but will not kill the economy. Italy has 23% of its population over age 65; US has 16% and our elderly have less contact with young relatives who may infect them.
Why the Coronavirus Hit Italy So Hard

People with normal immune systems are recovering or getting mild or no symptoms. Try to calm yourself.

Last edited:
I agree it is a long shot...

But my understanding is the GA4 tent works like this,.,.,,
1. Painted cars are delivered to the start of the line.
2. Parts are delivered to stations on the line..
3. Cars move between stations and parts are used.
4. Finished cars come off the end of the line...

So you need sufficient trained workers at each station, the ability to store and preposition parts at each station, sufficient tools at each station (mainly electric, many hand-held?) and a way of moving the cars between stations...

If it is more complex than this, it isn't that much more complex. (as far as I know)

So I don't think you need to disassemble GA4 just build/find a building somewhere similar to the tent (another tent can be used)
Install a means of moving cars between stations... then consider if you want to go further.

I think it is a long shot, because by the time it could be arranged it might not be needed, closing for 2-4 weeks is easier.

But if I was a manager I might do the steps above as a contingency and hope not need need it, the simple tent/line structure may be able to be re-purposed. It may be low Capex and may only involve a few workers...

Why it may make sense is if the shutdown of Fremont is extended but the export of painted cars is allowed, now it is the difference between zero production and some production.
Yes, but you understand that this is exactly what Tesla does with Model S/X CKD kits imported to Tilberg, NL and also the way production started at GF3/Shangahai (at least for mtr, bty pack, pwr electronics; intent to go 100% local by EOY).

As I said, Tesla would only do this if it became obvious that an extended slowdown at Fremont was inevitable, and we are nowhere near that point.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ
Corona is killing the old and chronically ill. Sucks for them and their loved ones, but will not kill the economy. Italy has 23% of its population over age 65; US has 16% and our elderly have less contact with young relatives who may infect them.
Why the Coronavirus Hit Italy So Hard

People with normal immune systems are recovering or getting mild or no symptoms. Try to calm yourself.

I dont get why someone disagreed with this comment. It's very, very common for Italian families to be large and share a home across multiple generations in the family. The number of people in their 20's living at home with their parents, and siblings, and grandparents is very high in Italy. It's their culture combine with a generation of 20 to 30 yr olds that never recovered from Italy's financial crisis.

People rate this funny, but it's not funny at all. All sorts of people (anyone that doesn't want to see Tesla succeed) will sign that petition. This really pisses me off, and now I'm going to have to have another session with @Krugerrand to get back into a zen-like state.
Time to change your moniker maybe?