Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya hopefully not. Philipines did it first, so that was probably the globalist's experiment to see how it turned out.

That's why I only sold half. I don't have conviction on this, but the impact if true would devastate all leveraged and derivative products. Not a risk to take.

Imagine the long-term consequences regarding trust in the market if Trump does this. No trader or investor will ever again be certain that the terms of their contracts will be respected. Heaven forbid it extends to the stock market. As a commentator pointed out, risk premiums would be increased for decades.

I don't put it past Trump to do this, not in the least, but it would be a massive blow to the trust in the US rule of law. When you hear stories about wealthy Chinese investing in property abroad, especially in the US? They do this because they remember the Cultural Revolution, and know you can never be safe from a shifting political climate at home. Whereas in the United States, the terms of property ownership have proved to be stable across centuries. Even when it's bloody inconvenient and not in the public good, e.g. regarding long-standing agreements around water rights in California.

Few or no other nations in the world have this level of political stability. At home in Norway, you could never consider yourself safe against such shifting winds when making a long-term investment. Plenty of examples. This has a chilling effect.

The trust in the derivatives market can't quite measure up to the societal value of trust in real estate ownership, but it's in the same sphere. It would be a sea change. I wouldn't bet against it happening with Trump at the helm.

Imagine the long-term consequences regarding trust in the market if Trump does this. No trader or investor will ever again be certain that the terms of their contracts will be respected. Heaven forbid it extends to the stock market. As a commentator pointed out, risk premiums would be increased for decades.

I don't put it past Trump to do this, not in the least, but it would be a massive blow to the trust in the US rule of law. When you hear stories about wealthy Chinese investing in property abroad, especially in the US? They do this because they remember the Cultural Revolution, and know you can never be safe from a shifting political climate at home. Whereas in the United States, the terms of property ownership have proved to be stable across centuries. Even when it's bloody inconvenient and not in the public good, e.g. regarding long-standing agreements around water rights in California.

Few or no other nations in the world have this level of political stability. At home in Norway, you could never consider yourself safe against such shifting winds when making a long-term investment. Plenty of examples. This has a chilling effect.

The trust in the derivatives market can't quite measure up to the societal value of trust in real estate ownership, but it's in the same sphere. It would be a sea change. I wouldn't bet against it happening with Trump at the helm.

Ya. We are seeing a lot of firsts in this event. I mean European state closing borders..... Army lock downs. If a rule we take granted is going to get broken at any time in history it'd be this or an actual war.

Tesla is going to use factory shutdowns to do upgrades and improve production - Electrek
However, we’ve learned that Tesla is going to make the best of it. The company can still use a small workforce at the factory and it plans to make upgrades to its production lines.

At the Fremont factory, Tesla was already planning some major expansions to increase its Model Y production capacity.

It's good that the factory shut down can be used to make the company stronger once this passes.

He's a moron. ONLY essential businesses need to operate. He acts above the law and eventually capitulates to close factory and then gives an FU saying but we'll keep some people their anyway. He doesnt care about those workers or the families they could effect. He cares about image but is playing this all wrong and I don't get it.

He's a moron. ONLY essential businesses need to operate. He acts above the law and eventually capitulates to close factory and then gives an FU saying but we'll keep some people their anyway. He doesnt care about those workers or the families they could effect. He cares about image but is playing this all wrong and I don't get it.

He actually has state law on his side to keep the factory fully open.

He's a moron.

The extreme worst cases of 'famous last words' are always uttered by people who are so much smarter than Musk. Or think they are.

Musk has said there is no moat, no wall around success. It's always about innovation. He's also said the coronavirus *panic* is dumb.

When things are going really wrong, like the Model 3 production hell, or a pandemic threatening everyone you know, including you, the impulse for many people is to give up. 'This is just too overwhelming... I am finally justified to give in. It's the *smart* thing to do.' Weakness is now a virtue.

That has never been Musk. It's why smarter people get off calling him a moron.

Rumours of Trump shutting down market early next week circling around. This is not from my own source so I can't fully trust it. However, since I am encountering this rumor in many places, I can no longer ignore it. It makes sense, it is what the public wants.

Sold half of my triple bearish bet on SPX. Also got out of most of the options bought but kept all options I wrote.

I expect options to be crushed or run havoc after the market resume. But in the mean time, the theta decay will probably kill most of the option premiums.
I highly doubt this. The only way I see that happening is if he puts the country on lock down over the weekend. The only time I recall this ever happening was after 9/11 (not including the 1 day the market closed for Ford's death).

Hmmm... Ford's death... hmmm

I highly doubt this. The only way I see that happening is if he puts the country on lock down over the weekend. The only time I recall this ever happening was after 9/11 (not including the 1 day the market closed for Ford's death).

Next week will be interesting though. Jobless claim report on Thursday is expected to be a record and spike to well past a million--Goldman Sachs is predicting over 2 million. For context, this week's report was 280k. And the number of confirmed corona cases in the US will be really ramping up as testing is finally ramping up. All of which is to say, I'll be buying a lot of stocks and more TSLA toward the end of next week and the following as this all washes through the markets...

Dustin Moskovitz on Twitter

is he saying here that parts shortages are essentially the problem due to Tesla's suppliers shutting down?

That was stated in the Tesla message with a list of other reasons, but Elon seems to be pointing to one issue specifically. Just trivia at this point since the factory is shut down, but it could have a temporary effect on the ramp back up.

Rumours of Trump shutting down market early next week circling around. This is not from my own source so I can't fully trust it. However, since I am encountering this rumor in many places, I can no longer ignore it. It makes sense, it is what the public wants.

Sold half of my triple bearish bet on SPX. Also got out of most of the options bought but kept all options I wrote.

I expect options to be crushed or run havoc after the market resume. But in the mean time, the theta decay will probably kill most of the option premiums.
He better shut it down till Nov. :)

New Video Series Alert:

Our own Alex Voigt ( @avoigt ) is producing a series of new videos on Youtube:

"7 Reasons Why Tesla Will Gain Competitive Edge in The Crisis"

Embedded below is the first of this seven part series discussing Tesla and the Corona crises. This first video segment (7:53) is subtitled: #1. Safety

Cheers!

Last edited:
Before the latest green days I had wondered if a good Q1 report would even matter, but I'm feeling better about those odds now. I'd buy more but really can't increase my tesla exposure past what it already is. I'll just have to enjoy watching the leaps I bought last month slowly move towards green.

extra_large_pic.png
I still can't get over the fact that this is the picture he chose.

Yes, Elon sometimes makes foolish decisions. We'll see eventually if this was one, looks 50/50 as of now.
He is an eternal optimist. That's the only way he has been able to make it this far. Sometimes being such an optimist can have downsides. TBD.

I'm guessing Tesla is ramping up Tesla Energy. It was always cell starved as cars had priority, but not anymore. Tesla Semi was also being delayed due to limits in cell availability. That's no problem now, and it's being built at Giga Nevada. They can send extra batteries to Shanghai now as well.
That's my thought as well. Even if auto demand drops below their production capacity (big if) then those cells can just roll into energy storage.

I don't see how anyone can not think that after this scare, people will be flocking to become more self sufficient with home solar and power walls. Any company that offers products that make people more self sufficient (energy, food etc.) will make a killing in the next few years.

Ya, I'll be watching closely when we surpasses 9/11 death (~16k) and total war death (~500k).

New Video Series Alert:

Our own Alex Voigt ( @avoigt ) is producing a series of new videos on Youtube:

"7 Reasons Why Tesla Will Gain Competitive Edge in The Crisis"

Embedded below is the first of this seven part series discussing Tesla and the Corona crises. This first video segment (7:53) is subtitled: #1. Safety

Cheers!

Anyone who has criticized Elon Musk for saying we shouldn't *panic* about the Coronavirus needs to watch this video. It has a number of examples of how Tesla is getting through this crisis in the *opposite* mode of panic. Namely, intelligent, reasoned steps to prevent the spread of the virus without sitting at home claiming there is nothing we can do about it.

If anything, I think Tesla is being *more* proactive about taking steps to prevent the spread of the virus than their peers. The world should look up to (and follow) Elon's lead, not lob insults from the peanut gallery. It will not only save lives, it just might save our economy. And that will save even more lives.

Before the latest green days I had wondered if a good Q1 report would even matter, but I'm feeling better about those odds now. I'd buy more but really can't increase my tesla exposure past what it already is. I'll just have to enjoy watching the leaps I bought last month slowly move towards green.

I still can't get over the fact that this is the picture he chose.

It's the only picture he had where he wasn't wearing a wife-beater and holding a Budweiser!

He's trying to create the impression that he knows what he's talking about. ;)