Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NL.jpg

upload_2020-4-7_0-7-17.png

EV Sales: Netherlands March 2020

In good news futures have gone really green (+2%)
I assume it’s on the news that China had 0 Coronavirus deaths. First time since January
I don't think this report from the Washington Post will necessarily move the Markets, but investors should be aware:

"LONDON — Prime Minister Boris Johnson, one of the first world leaders diagnosed with covid-19, was moved into an intensive care unit on Monday evening after his condition worsened, his official spokesman said.

"The prime minister asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to “deputise for him where necessary,” giving Raab the power if needed to run the British government during this health crisis."​

what I've said before, we've already seen the bottom (aprox. 360). Austria is easing restrictions as the first in eur
I don't think this report from the Washington Post will necessarily move the Markets, but investors should be aware:

"LONDON — Prime Minister Boris Johnson, one of the first world leaders diagnosed with covid-19, was moved into an intensive care unit on Monday evening after his condition worsened, his official spokesman said.

"The prime minister asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to “deputise for him where necessary,” giving Raab the power if needed to run the British government during this health crisis."​
He is getting some oxigen, not (yet) a big deal.

what is a big deal is estimating when Fremont opens up again. The SP is held back by somebody pulling the brake, we need some info to pull trough the brakes (an production restart date for example....)

what I've said before, we've already seen the bottom (aprox. 360). Austria is easing restrictions as the first in eur

We may have seen the bottom related to the Covid pandemic. I don’t think we have yet seen the bottom related to the economic fallout of the Covid pandemic. E.g. I haven’t seen (any?) componanies update their yearly guidance, because nobody knows how long the lockdown will last, and how long it will take from the end of the lockdown to ‘business-as-usual’.

We may have seen the bottom related to the Covid pandemic. I don’t think we have yet seen the bottom related to the economic fallout of the Covid pandemic. E.g. I haven’t seen (any?) componanies update their yearly guidance, because nobody knows how long the lockdown will last, and how long it will take from the end of the lockdown to ‘business-as-usual’.
I do expect that getting back to business as usual will take a bit longer in certain industries. However i expect that it won't have a huge impact on Tesla (I do not say it won't have an impact). Main points are:
1. Recruiting was a huge pain before Corona. A lot of highly educated people are still needed. Even after the cleanup this month, they still nead a lot of people, and some departments are (today) still recruiting!
2. There is a large order book, some orders will be cancelled. But there will still be weeks covered by placed orders.
3. Sales is acceleration online during and because of covid. People want to order online, not go to a store.
4. Added to number 3, legacy auto wil have really some hefty issues. A lot of car dealerships dropped employees, cancelled all orders for inventory and stock orders, there is a huge (and then really huge) amount of production left at the factories (some expect multiple months of stock. Ramping up sales will, cost a hughe amount of advertisements, discounts and dealers ramping up. And that last point is where the real bottleneck is.

legacy dealers cannot ramp up, they burned though the money. Maybe they get an extention on existion loans but they definitly do not get a new loan after covid to ramp up their sales. I expect sales numbers that exceed -30% or -40% for legacy auto.

Even for VW I expect a new storm of issues with the release of the ID3 just because of this.

there is some form of competition, but Tesla is really 3 stepts ahead of the game and can focus on growth while others are cleaning up te mess for the next 12 to 18 months.

... of all China Dealerships or Tesla showrooms? Wasn't clear to me.
does not apply to Tesla, this is showroom/dealership traffic. As fas as I know Tesla is not included in these numbers. However this number will support my expectation of a 30/40% decline of legacy auto. the only issue is that China is nu Europe or the US. so we have to wait for "our" numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
does not apply to Tesla, this is showroom/dealership traffic. As fas as I know Tesla is not included in these numbers. However this number will support my expectation of a 30/40% decline of legacy auto. the only issue is that China is nu Europe or the US. so we have to wait for "our" numbers.
My conclusion as well earlier. The picture gave it away, but I could swear I saw a Tesla there (only b/c I expected it linked from here).
I think I might be bias.

1. "They are working on roundabouts which are very difficult. In fact, they are working on everything you'd encounter on a drive from here to San Francisco... everything." (IDK where "here" is)
A huge big deal for the UK. I'd say 70% of the intersections I encounter in my daily driving are roundabouts here. Nobody in the UK will consider a car to be FSD unless it flawlessly hands roundabouts, both mini and large.

The market drop (ie: S&P 500 -34% YTD High-to-Low)

S&P500.YTD.2020-04-06.png

is roughly inline with projections for Q2 GDP drop in 2020Q2:

"Janet Yellen: Q2 GDP likely to be down at least 30%"

IMHO, we may have seen the bottom on March 23rd, unless there is another surprise with the pandemic, or another macro event like the Saudi/Russian oil-shock. Even then, there is a LOT of extra capital on the sideline now, plus don't underestimate the effect of the $2T capital injection into the US economy (some say it could total $6T based on existing legislation).

Finally, its a US Presidential Election year, and the chances the ruling party DOES NOT fight tooth and nail to bolster the economy is vanishingly small.

Cheers!

At this stage Tesla as banking on getting FSD working well enough to support a Robo-Taxi fleet, they will not drop the price if old cars can be put out to work.

Dropping the price remains a possibility if they really need the cash, but my hunch is they are going to be particularly stubborn here.

But FSD price for Robotaxi and for personal use will have to be vastly different. It'll have to be like two different licenses.

$10k might be fine for someone using their Tesla only for private use. It would be ridiculously cheap for a Tesla that was used as a robotaxi car.

$100k might be a legit price for a robotaxi. Absolutly no one would pay that for their family car. This would actually hurt the sales of Teslas for private use.

In the end I guess they will move to a subscription model with very different price points depending on if FSD is used commercially or not.

Reactions: Chocochip
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

As early as this week, Tesla plans to expand its lineup in China by offering a locally built Model 3 sedan with a range of more than 650 kilometers (404 miles) on one charge. That compares with about 450 kilometers for the current most basic version that starts at 323,800 yuan ($45,800). The variant would start at about 350,000 yuan before rebates, though exact pricing has yet to be decided.

A huge big deal for the UK. I'd say 70% of the intersections I encounter in my daily driving are roundabouts here. Nobody in the UK will consider a car to be FSD unless it flawlessly hands roundabouts, both mini and large.
Roundabouts are also among the hardest driving tasks for humans, particularly for the timid and over aggressive. So this is actually among the larger opportunities for FSD to make driving safer, by eliminating human emotion in place of cold hard statistics and physics.