Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the bias on this thread against advertising is petty and irrational. it's based on anger at the media, rather than what's actually in Tesla's best interest. it's emotional decision-making at its worst.
What if, a legitimate if, Tesla owners becomes less enthusiastic about Tesla to their friends and families as Tesla becomes *mainstream* by advertising? Who wants to remain part of the mission if their participation can be replaced with an ad? Who want to rave about a hole in the wall if the whole world know about it?

• Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax and T@oo
i think the major manufacturers are well beyond the point of diminishing returns in that regard, and Tesla is way way way below it. I don't think it'd take much, to be honest.

Diminishing returns in terms of impact of advertising on the public perhaps, but the premise you were replying to was impact to the media's attitude, which, based on that post (see the quotes I referenced), is purely based on $$$, not public influence.

Effective advertising also runs the risk of a worse purchase experience as demand even further outstrips supply and support. Not to mention the impact of the average consumer versus EV knowledgeable one on pre and post sale overhead.

What if, a legitimate if, Tesla owners becomes less enthusiastic about Tesla to their friends and families as Tesla becomes *mainstream* by advertising? Who wants to remain part of the mission if their participation can be replaced with an ad? Who want to rave about a hole in the wall if the whole world know about it?

Eventually Tesla cars will become so normal that people who aren't that into cars will be driving them. For now, the newness is still a thing, and you can be part of a movement evangelising Tesla/BEV to the world. If Tesla begins to advertise, there's only so much information that can be contained in a 30-sec advertisement. There is still value in meeting someone in real life who owns the product, and who can talk about the upsides and downsides in much more detail than what can be contained in a commercial. And owners will still "rave" because frankly, the specs of a Tesla outclass the specs of anyone else's vehicles and this isn't expected to change any time soon. Also, if you are a potential Ford customer you don't just base your product selection on Ford's commercials. You may seek out opinions of other Ford owners, and you certainly look on Youtube for independent opinion, most of which is not controlled by Ford. If the product is terrible, Ford's commercials will look great, but the independent information on Youtube etc. will reveal the terrible-ness. However, if the product is amazing, not only will Ford's commercials look amazing but all the independent information you can find will also indicate that the product is amazing - it's as if the independent information was under the control of Ford's marketing department... even though it isn't. Ford would essentially be getting extra advertising from all the independent media. This all requires the product to be amazing. In the case of Tesla, the products are amazing - all that early adopter tech, in addition to performance specs that beat everyone else's vehicles. Independent media on Facebook, Youtube and so on, all convey this feeling of awesome - like they are paid commercials.

The point I'm making is, as long as Tesla continues to be at the forefront like they have been, then they will not ever need to pay for their own advertising, because real-life owners and independent media contributors on Youtube and other outlets will continue to do what amounts to marketing and advertising for Tesla - for free.

Couple this with my assessment of Elon's opinion of advertising and marketing, which, as a concept, is "basically lying to future customers to trick them into buying your products." If you have applied a Physics First Principles approach in the design of your products, then by logic they are the best they can possibly be - and there is no need to advertise and market (at your own cost), because smart customers and the marketplace as a whole will seek out the best product and buy it, all without your intervention. I think Elon enjoys disrupting encumbent industries, and probably wants to change the way products are advertised too.

the bias on this thread against advertising is petty and irrational. it's based on anger at the media, rather than what's actually in Tesla's best interest. it's emotional decision-making at its worst.
If hating the idea of acquiescing to extortion is emotional, so be it.

Speaking of advertising, I think the next crewed launch will do a tiny bit amount of good press for Elon Musk and Tesla by association which I much prefer
As I recall, the plan was for the crew to be transported to the pad in a white Model X.

THAT kind of advertising works for me.

Speaking of advertising, I think the next crewed launch will do a tiny bit amount of good press for Elon Musk and Tesla by association which I much prefer

That is some killer product placement.
For those that are unaware, the astronauts will be transported to the launch pad in a Model X.
Tesla, SpaceX confirm Model X will be official ride of astronauts

I'm a little slow, but have a link :D:
As I recall, the plan was for the crew to be transported to the pad in a white Model X.

THAT kind of advertising works for me.
Edit to update quote (though I liked the original)

Diminishing returns in terms of impact of advertising on the public perhaps, but the premise you were replying to was impact to the media's attitude, which, based on that post (see the quotes I referenced), is purely based on $$$, not public influence.

Effective advertising also runs the risk of a worse purchase experience as demand even further outstrips supply and support. Not to mention the impact of the average consumer versus EV knowledgeable one on pre and post sale overhead.
Isn't there an advertising thread or something where the folks who don't understand social media marketing and the fact that we're not demand limited (hence $00.00 return on advertising dollars!) can jabber among themselves?

Many thanks to those who are posting great info and useful and educational observations. Those who just post GREEN! RED!, or regurgitate the stock price, or nonfunny funnies and cute acronyms and names for things... not so much.

Blessed are they who write great pointless posts, count to 10, read them over, then delete them without posting; it is they who help make this forum readable.

Look... Tesla DOES advertise. Just not in the traditional sense.

Don’t you think other companies would LOVE to have free word of mouth, countless YouTube videos made by fans, 33 million followers on Twitter (albeit not all friendly) and a car orbiting the sun for Pete’s sake? Of course they would. It’s only because the other companies do not have this, that they need to pay through the nose for it.

i wasn't advocating for emotionless posting, i was advocating for emotionless decision-making.

i think the major manufacturers are well beyond the point of diminishing returns in that regard, and Tesla is way way way below it. I don't think it'd take much, to be honest.
Traditional media and advertising is on the ropes. Tesla's approach to marketing is first principles like everything else. You might have had a better chance at justifying some value in the early days when just starting out but we've seen the tide turn in just the last 9 months. My kids are late 20's early 30's and taking into account my incessant jibberish regarding Tesla, they are well aware of the branding that's taking place, as do their peers.

20 years ago, I would agree that traditional advertising was necessary for survival but no more. Every day that Tesla increases market share and brand awareness, is another nail in the coffin of traditional advertising.
We've crossed the threshold proving the approach they've taken has been effective, that's undeniable. Having to pay for someone to believe you destroys your credibility and there are surveys that show that, especially regarding the younger generation. And that's where it really matters for obvious reasons.

As the old school decision makers fade away, and new technology improves all aspects of product and marketing, it will open a new world of information distribution that will relegate mainstream media, manufacturing, sales, service, etc. into the dustbin. You can't fight Natural Selection. Innovate or die.

I am on the side that would rather not advertise until there is a real need to do so. No need now while demand is stable (post-COVID that is) and the media basically uses Elon or Tesla any opportunity they can (negative or not).

However, I would like to see cross-branding between SpaceX and Tesla. I think a nice T or Tesla on a Falcon 9 would be a great way to promote the link between the two companies.

Edit: @mongo's post shows this is happening on a small scale. Hopefully the Model X gets a little camera time.

Reactions: Jovian
How disappointing. Just an empty field? Where's the factory? This sure isn't China!

Many thanks to those who are posting great info and useful and educational observations. Those who just post GREEN! RED!, or regurgitate the stock price, or nonfunny funnies and cute acronyms and names for things... not so much.

Blessed are they who write great pointless posts, count to 10, read them over, then delete them without posting; it is they who help make this forum readable.

Pot calling the kettle black?

I was just surfing the Tesla website to see if they had changed the pages since I last went through them and noticed the buttons on the driver side door. They haven't always been there right? I'm not an S or X owner, but I do keep up with everything....am I losing my mind? Did the early versions have these or did they add them over time?

hero%402_3.jpg

hero%402_1.jpg

Last edited:
Traditional media and advertising is on the ropes. Tesla's approach to marketing is first principles like everything else. You might have had a better chance at justifying some value in the early days when just starting out but we've seen the tide turn in just the last 9 months. My kids are late 20's early 30's and taking into account my incessant jibberish regarding Tesla, they are well aware of the branding that's taking place, as do their peers.

20 years ago, I would agree that traditional advertising was necessary for survival but no more. Every day that Tesla increases market share and brand awareness, is another nail in the coffin of traditional advertising.
We've crossed the threshold proving the approach they've taken has been effective, that's undeniable. Having to pay for someone to believe you destroys your credibility and there are surveys that show that, especially regarding the younger generation. And that's where it really matters for obvious reasons.

As the old school decision makers fade away, and new technology improves all aspects of product and marketing, it will open a new world of information distribution that will relegate mainstream media, manufacturing, sales, service, etc. into the dustbin. You can't fight Natural Selection. Innovate or die.
Another overlooked aspect is the free advertising that Tesla gets with its OTA updates. Every time a new feature is pushed out there is a lot of buzz that brings attention to the brand and the fact that their cars get better with time, not worse like other brands.