Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have contacted them more than once and they have not responded dispute the charge. That is not acceptable.
I’ve personally went to the showroom/SC 20+ times to get updates on this. Really! 20 times. I ask them every time I bring a friend to test drive a Tesla, get warranty work, or get supercharged. I also have email proof. All I get from Tesla is “management knows about it and your check should be in the mail soon”. I can’t dispute the charge because I wired them the full amount for the car.

There is a serious disconnect in Tesla’s communication... I don’t freak out about this type of stuff and always give them the benefit of the doubt, but I do believe the “FUD” when it comes to poor customer experiences.

LOL, do you live under a rock? Munster's been raggin' on Elon since July 2018 :p
An Open Letter to Elon Musk | Loup Ventures
Haha, I know. He was even “disappointed” with Q4 delivery results on Jan 2. He said that Tesla missed M3 deliveries big time lol :rolleyes: I’m just expressing my disappointment that Elon’s tweets are still not reviewed before sent. I can just imagine Mr. Dane Buttswinkers sweating bullets while watching Elon play on his phone... :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I’ve personally went to the showroom/SC 20+ times to get updates on this. Really! 20 times. I ask them every time I bring a friend to test drive a Tesla, get warranty work, or get supercharged. I also have email proof. All I get from Tesla is “management knows about it and your check should be in the mail soon”. I can’t dispute the charge because I wired them the full amount for the car.

There is a serious disconnect in Tesla’s communication... I don’t freak out about this type of stuff and always give them the benefit of the doubt, but I do believe the “FUD” when it comes to poor customer experiences.

This, unfortunately, is something I’ve found to be true as well. There does seem to be a very wide variation depending on location(around me seems to be fairly terrible most of the time in terms of communication but good in terms of knowledgeable technicians. I had one instance of dealing with communication with a Seattle Service Center that was amazingly good(better than pretty much any customer service I’ve had with any company), though that was a while ago.

Another data point: I had mobile service check out my rear cup holder, which has been stuck on Feb 1. They said it needed to go into an actual service center to fix it and that we would get a call to schedule that. That was the last I’ve heard from them about it. Oh, and I’m still waiting on the Bioweapon defense mode aftermarket add-on that I ordered back on January 18. No communication there either.

Tesla Model 3 Employee Leasing Coming Soon, General Public Later

“sources familiar with the matter” reported on an email
(This is obviously a USA thing, to begin with, anyway.)

There is a large group of drivers in BMWs, Mercs, etc. who lease their cars. Of all the enormous pool of remaining Model 3 reservation holders (most of whom are waiting for a less expensive car), some fraction will buy from the current set of three variants if they can lease. Thus, Tesla offering leasing before the arrival of the Standard Range Model 3 is another way for them to sell higher-end cars.

Potentially also a way to get some customers into a higher-end Model 3 that would see the Model Y reveal and decide to wait.

As some here have said, there is nothing wrong at all with finding ways to sell yet more high-ASP cars. :)

It's also possible that Tesla offering leasing because the Standard Range is still a little further out than expected.

It's starting....

In my opinion we see the beginning of a fundamental crisis of the ICE industry now. This will last a long while and it will be a very painful process where the end is unclear. Some will survive, others may merge or get bought....

Audi will etwa jede zehnte Führungsposition streichen

Audi to cut 10% of Management... CEO Schot, " its clear, our cost level is too high" " We want to become more younger, more dynamic and female." they also want to make larger steps in China and get faster into EVs.

"One of the largest U.S. auto dealers just had a rough quarter selling BMWs, and a top executive said Tesla Inc. played a major role."

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Both Audi and BMW are very much vulnerable and have nothing available to counter the 3 and Y.

Difficult years ahead and I expect many changes in Management and directions....

It's starting....

In my opinion we see the beginning of a fundamental crisis of the ICE industry now. This will last a long while and it will be a very painful process where the end is unclear. Some will survive, others may merge or get bought....

Audi to cut 10% of Management... CEO Schot, " its clear, our cost level is too high" " We want to become more younger, more dynamic and female." they also want to make larger steps in China and get faster into EVs.

"One of the largest U.S. auto dealers just had a rough quarter selling BMWs, and a top executive said Tesla Inc. played a major role."

Both Audi and BMW are very much vulnerable and have nothing available to counter the 3 and Y.

Difficult years ahead and I expect many changes in Management and directions....

The pain has just started, it will intensify as Tesla introduce Model Y, Truck, Semi, Roadster, also continue to cut cost and refine them. ICE cars can't compete. ICE car makers know what's coming.

I think most legacy car makers won't survive the autonomous EV transition. Tesla could sell cars at cost but sill make profit from the software. Also Tesla doesn't have a middle man to sell cars. I can't think of a way how legacy car makers can survive. They had years to react, now it's too late.

I checked out the website for the first time since the SR removal. It feels strange to not have mention of it - disconcerting but good as an investor. I expect the SR to replace the MR immediately and have more confidence in that now. Wouldn't be surprised if MR never makes it out of NA.

The website now lists the interior features for premium and standard (more extensive list than previous or did I miss this?):

Interior

15" touchscreen

Dual zone climate controls

FM radio and Bluetooth® connectivity, with on-demand & internet radio capability

Textile seating

Console storage

2 USB ports

Premium Connectivity (3 months included):

Satellite maps with live traffic visualization

In-car streaming media

Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular

Premium Interior

4 USB ports, docking for 2 smartphones

5 heated seats

Heated side mirrors

Power front seats

Custom driver profiles

Tinted glass roof

Premium audio system

LED fog lamps

Premium Connectivity (1 year included):

Satellite maps with live traffic visualization

In-car streaming media

Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular

Ironically, the current state of the ICE auto industry reminds me of The Titanic going down. "This is it!" And I think pulling the leasing lever will dramatically accelerate the adoption of the Model 3. As proof of its prowess rapidly spreads, FUD will become more obvious to all observers and this revolutionary car will hasten the demise of the lumbering legacy ICE companies, their dealership networks, gas stations and eventually the entire fossil fuel industry itself.

(This is obviously a USA thing, to begin with, anyway.)

There is a large group of drivers in BMWs, Mercs, etc. who lease their cars. Of all the enormous pool of remaining Model 3 reservation holders (most of whom are waiting for a less expensive car), some fraction will buy from the current set of three variants if they can lease. Thus, Tesla offering leasing before the arrival of the Standard Range Model 3 is another way for them to sell higher-end cars.

Potentially also a way to get some customers into a higher-end Model 3 that would see the Model Y reveal and decide to wait.

As some here have said, there is nothing wrong at all with finding ways to sell yet more high-ASP cars. :)

It's also possible that Tesla offering leasing because the Standard Range is still a little further out than expected.
The pain has just started, it will intensify as Tesla introduce Model Y, Truck, Semi, Roadster, also continue to cut cost and refine them. ICE cars can't compete. ICE car makers know what's coming.

I think most legacy car makers won't survive the autonomous EV transition. Tesla could sell cars at cost but sill make profit from the software. Also Tesla doesn't have a middle man to sell cars. I can't think of a way how legacy car makers can survive. They had years to react, now it's too late.

Last edited:
2018 California Brand Market Share

Total Units 2,001,995

Toyota.........16.7%
Honda.........12.4%
Ford.............8.8%
Chevrolet.....7.9%
Nissan.........6.3%
Mercedes.....4.0%
Subaru.........3.9%
BMW............3.5%
Tesla...........3.5%
Jeep.............3.3%
Kia................3.3%
Lexus...........3.1%
Hyundai........3.0%
Mazda..........2.3%
VW Brand....2.3%
Audi.............2.1%
Ram.............2.0%
Dodge..........1.7%
GMC.............1.7%
Acura............1.2%
Infiniti............0.9%
Land Rover....0.9%
Chrysler........0.7%
Porsche........0.7%
Volvo.............0.6%
Cadillac........0.6%
Buick............0.5%
Mini..............0.4%
Mitsubishi.....0.4%
Alfa Romeo...0.3%
Jaguar..........0.3%
Lincoln..........0.3%
Genesis........0.1%
Maserati........0.1%

BTW Tesla ended up 409 units behind BMW.

BTW II Much more detailed California Market Info in US Market Situation Thread.

https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/uploads/Cal-Covering-4Q-18.pdf

Last edited:
It's starting....

Meaningless, hollow slogans. They don't stand a chance.

EV transition for them needs to be very decisive. They need a long term plan with dedicated, fast execution. Decisions, that are similar to removing a rotting limb- difficult and hard to reach consensus on (just one of the reason why they won't succeed).

Btw- the crisis won't stop with the ICE industry. German Auto giants employ more than a million people (in Germany). 10% of the DAX index is them. Alone.

BTW Tesla ended up 409 units behind BMW.

BTW II Much more detailed California Market Info in US Market Situation Thread.

https://www.cncda.org/wp-content/uploads/Cal-Covering-4Q-18.pdf

Interesting line from the linked document: Small Car Market Share in California Falls to 21 Percent

Situation prior TSLA (for average customer)- buy a car, drive it for 3-5 years, get rid of it before it starts showing problems.
On the other hand- buy Tesla, keep it double the time. So obvious, but for the first time I see it in concrete data.

Edit: Another interesting observation- except for Subaru, the sales of all the brands above TSLA shrunk.

Last edited:
View attachment 379156

2 seater with 83 miles of range(not EPA certified yet) and top speed of 65 mph.

I wouldn't pay $10k for that. Much less $19,999 and wait for Fed Tax Credit.

These might actually sell OK in Europe, where two-seater Smart cars are relatively common and you even see the occasional single-seat Renault Twizzy on the roads:

twizy-cargo-11.jpg

These might actually sell OK in Europe, where two-seater Smart cars are relatively common and you even see the occasional single-seat Renault Twizzy on the roads:

twizy-cargo-11.jpg

A Smart Fortwo in Germany starts at 15,500 Euros.

Europe has a 10% tariff vs 2.5% for the US.

In the US the Kandi will start at $19,990

I think the typical European would demand a steep discount vs Smart to even consider the Kandi.

I don't see economics working out.