Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I doubt you, but what's the source for your information? I want it to counter said FUD/hate.

You forgot one more: if Tesla ever starts advertising in the US - there’s no need at the moment - they should make a commercial about the fact that they are producing the ‘most American’ car:

- Highest percentage of US built parts.
- Highest percentage of US labor (not North American, as that includes Mexico).
- Most American powered car. Not powered by foreign oil, which makes the US dependent on middle eastern dictatorships and worsens the trade balance, but powered by home made electricity).

‘Buy a Tesla, the most patriotic thing to do!’

I’m sure it would be an eye-opener for a lot of uninformed haters.

Automakers set to reopen plants in Europe | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

[...]

Some Toyota Motor staff members at a plant in Valenciennes, northern France, went to work on Tuesday for the first time in five weeks. They are getting ready to restart operations.

Toyota had suspended all production in Europe due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The automaker came to an agreement with authorities and local labor unions on measures to prevent workplace infections. The company then decided to reopen some factories this week.

Employees placed tape on the floor to divide aisles and installed plastic boards to keep workers separated.

One employee said people usually work face to face. The employee noted that the company is preparing to make sure those workers are kept at a safe distance from one another.

The plant will be open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the time being. Workers in three groups will produce about 50 cars per day. The facility used to manufacture 1,100 cars per day before the suspension.

Volkswagen and Daimler are also planning to increase the number of plants they have in operation this week.

Auto sales have plunged due to the coronavirus pandemic, and there are no prospects for a full-scale recovery in sight.​

upload_2020-4-22_16-39-8.png

Billionaire Trevor Milton's Nikola Motor received $4 million from PPP coronavirus small business fund

How outrageous is this?
I have a small business that is closed down and haven't been able to get any money yet from Chase.

Ooooh, so he's a billionaire. That's where Nikola gets its funding, and why it hasn't gone under yet.

Wikipedia:

In September 2019, Forbes assessed Milton's net worth to be at least $1 billion, as he owns at least 40% of his company, and it is valued at about $3 billion.

Wait what now? I didn't know a business skilled in vaporware, questionable PR, and suing Tesla could be valued at $3B.

There's no way this company doesn't end up like Faraday, Fisker, etc.

So now that Say.com has opened up the period to submit questions for the Q1 investor call, is there anything that we really need to ask? (Sadly most of the questions submitted are always low quality or duplicative.) But hey they don't drop to the AJ level. :eek:

It always goes live when I'm asleep :mad:

I had these 3 questions prepared in advance, but I doubt they'll make it now:
  1. Can you share what KPIs you are tracking with regards to Tesla service and communication with customers? What are you working on as of right now to further improve service and communication with customers?
  2. Can you give us an update on the Solar Roof ramp? How many are you currently able to install per week? What is your installations/week target for the end of 2021?
  3. Can you give us an update on the Tesla Semi? Any design changes? Where will it be produced? When will it go into production? What are your production targets?
I agree that most of the questions with a lot of up votes are mediocre at best right now.

When will Battery Investor Day be held? Can we do a virtual meeting so that it can be held sooner?

I mean... Elon last tweeted about this what... a week ago?

Podcast player features are lagging behind Apple CarPlay and Android Auto without support for basics like 1.5x and 2x Podcast Playback Speed, the ability to skip back/forward 5-10 seconds. Does Tesla plan to grow the Team to keep up with competitor's entertainment options?

Using an earnings call for feature requests? Sigh... just tweet at Elon.

Happy Earth Day :cool:

The video below is the presentation by Tony Seba for the 1st World CleanTech Week eConvention on this Earth Day 2020.

Rethinking the Future - Clean Disruption and the Collapse of the Oil, Coal and Internal Combustion Engine Vehicle Industries

If you consider the cost curves in Tony's talks, they are the rate of disruption...

Battery Investor Day may signal a step change in the cost curves, accelerating the adoption of EVs and battery energy storage...

I stuffed up linking my tweet earlier, I need to include some text like this:-
Separately, LR RWD M3s are sold out for June delivery. Demand is sky high.

JPR007 on Twitter

Demand for Tesla cars is already high in China, IMO Model Y is likely to be a better fit for the Chinese Market than Model 3, on top of already high demand the Chinese government is offering further incentives for NEV sales, Shanghai GF build and production ramp is breaking all kinds of records... the Chinese don't want to import oil.

And "Battery Investor Day is Coming", for the oil industry that may translate to "Winter is Coming"

Telsa is fortunate to have Shanghai GF, only an idiot would question demand for Tesla cars in China, if demand is too low, the Chinese government will do all they can to increase it...

Put it all together, Tony is right, because Tesla and China are making sure he will be right.

Last edited:
After-action Report: Wed, Apr 22, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $710.31
Volume: 14,229,951
Traded: $10,107,712,406.21 ($10.11 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 103.13%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 60.7% (53rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 52.2% (57th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)

Comment: "TSLA runs with the Bulls"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-04-22.png

I agree that most of the questions with a lot of up votes are mediocre at best right now.

Using an earnings call for feature requests? Sigh... just tweet at Elon.

Yeah, I wish we could add comments to questions and have them edited and/or combined with duplicate ones. Also, I would like to be able to downvote questions that I don't think should be asked.

They should also be limited to one question and one follow-up.

After-action Report: Wed, Apr 22, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $710.31
Volume: 14,229,951
Traded: $10,107,712,406.21 ($10.11 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 103.13%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 60.7% (53rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 52.2% (57th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)

View attachment 534878
Not sure if anyone said this before but I love these comments. Look forward to them everyday!

Possibly meaningful for TSLA.

Michael Moore just released a movie called "Planet of the Humans" on YouTube. It seems there's some negative bits in there about TSLA. I currently have it on now.

I'm normally a gigantic fan of Moore. As we well know, our hers always F up form time to time. lol

This seems more like a movie he produced instead of directly made. He's not narrating it and it's a bit "low rent".

Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' asks: what if green energy cannot save the planet?

For those interested..

The idea that we can't solve any problems
Happy Earth Day :cool:

The video below is the presentation by Tony Seba for the 1st World CleanTech Week eConvention on this Earth Day 2020.

Rethinking the Future - Clean Disruption and the Collapse of the Oil, Coal and Internal Combustion Engine Vehicle Industries

Thank you Tony, FU Michael Moore! We can solve problems. It may not always be a straight path, but we will clean up our mess and improve our planet.

...75% YTD, including 0.1% cash / 99.9% TSLA in my tradHODLing account:D

Cheers!

This is putting an exclamation at the end of my point: The more an investor hedges/trades away from their highest conviction positions, the lower the performance over time. Of course, there will be outliers over short periods of time where a trader happens to hit everything nearly perfectly and comes out ahead. But, on average, the buy/hold/accumulate strategy just plain works 'magic' and doesn't result in people finding themselves homeless I mean tricked out of their position. It also results in much lower tax bills (unless trading in a tax-deferred account). I imagine it can feel like being homeless when you sell your shares, even a portion of them, thinking you will buy them back for less, only to watch them soar out of reach. :eek:

Congrats on your 75% YTD return, simply amazing considering CV and all! I've become more conservative with my positioning as I approach 60 and I'm guessing you are not managing millions of dollars in your brokerage account. If you are, you are a contender in AC/DC's "Biggest Balls" contest! Everyone's situation is different. :)

Possibly meaningful for TSLA.

Michael Moore just released a movie called "Planet of the Humans" on YouTube. It seems there's some negative bits in there about TSLA. I currently have it on now.

I'm normally a gigantic fan of Moore. As we well know, our hers always F up form time to time. lol

This seems more like a movie he produced instead of directly made. He's not narrating it and it's a bit "low rent".

Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' asks: what if green energy cannot save the planet?

For those interested..

I just finished watching it.

Interesting how they make it look like EVs are dirty to make. Of course they are. But so are ICE vehicles albeit some materials are different. The key is EVs being LESS harmful than ICE over their lifetime. Almost everything we make has a negative impact to the environment.

I wish Elon could get the Nevada Gigafactory completely off grid and give a giant middle finger to Moore.

And even going from coal to natural gas for electricity generation is a huge positive.

Bio fuels have always been a bad idea. And then this “documentary” lumping all solar with panels that are 8% efficient is really misleading. They didn’t “lie” about anything but they certainly mislead. Yes, there have been many failures. But we certainly should not give up.

The one person on there said that we would have been better off just burning coal than to produce the solar panel. He conveniently leaves out the materials needed to produce a coal plant.

We won’t stop climate change but we can slow it down.

I wish Elon could get the Nevada Gigafactory completely off grid and give a giant middle finger to Moore.

And even going from coal to natural gas for electricity generation is a huge positive.
Nevada's grid is remarkably clean / low carbon. In the South, Vegas is largely powered by Hoover Dam (hydro). In the North, the Reno/Carson area has strong solar resources and is building more all the time.

Ironically, while switching from coal to natural gas does help with NOx/SOx emissions and nearly eliminates heavy metals, its NOT that helpful for greenhouse gas emissions.

The reason is that methane (CH4) is about 30x more potent a GHG than carbon dioxide (CO2). Any natural gas that leaks at the well, throughout the pipeline system, and at the power station rapidly claws back any benefit from lower carbon intensity of combustion.

It's pretty simple math: 1/30 = 3.3% is the limit to how much NG can leak in the distribution system before it becomes a WORSE fuel than coal for GHG emissions. o_O

Under the previous Adminstration, the EPA estimated fugitive emissions from NG at about 5%. The current Administration does not study or report NG emission. :oops:

One employee said people usually work face to face. The employee noted that the company is preparing to make sure those workers are kept at a safe distance from one another.​

I wonder if this "face to face" work environment is a manufacturing innovation developed by Toyota some years back to increase productivity? It makes sense that if workstations can be designed to maximize "teamwork" and make each worker feel like they working with another human on a minute-by-minute basis it could lead to better worker engagement, more accurate assembly with fewer errors and higher productivity.

If so, and if this is a "innovation" not adopted by Tesla (who was either too focussed on automation or was not aware of the concept), then it could put Tesla at a competitive advantage in terms of being able to build cars at nearly the same rate as BCV (before coronavirus) without increasing the spread of the virus. All while Toyota may have to make significant chages to the way their production line is designed to reduce the risk of viral spreading.​

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11

I wonder if this "face to face" work environment is a manufacturing innovation developed by Toyota some years back to increase productivity? It makes sense that if workstations can be designed to maximize "teamwork" and make each worker feel like they working with another human on a minute-by-minute basis it could lead to better worker engagement, more accurate assembly with fewer errors and higher productivity.

If so, and if this is a "innovation" not adopted by Tesla (who was either too focussed on automation or was not aware of the concept), then it could put Tesla at a competitive advantage in terms of being able to build cars at nearly the same rate as BCV (before coronavirus) without increasing the spread of the virus. All while Toyota may have to make significant chages to the way their production line is designed to reduce the risk of viral spreading.​

Could be. I was thinking Tesla Shanghai went back online some weeks ago, so Fremont's managers have had time to plan. Here's hoping they can apply similar measures and work through any unexpected problems quickly.

Reactions: Thumper