Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karpahy talked for 120 seconds how many different stop signs there are (in the US). Guess how many different speed limit signs there are.
They start with one and solve the other similar problems later on. Getting the speed limit right is almost as vital as getting the stop sign right.

But Mobileye had a functioning system in 2016 that people still miss when switching to >= AP2 cars? I'm not talking about a FSD proof 99.9999% system here, I'm hoping for something I could use for everyday driving instead of the pretty crappy gps based system. Or at least here in Europe it sucks compared to AP1.

Reactions: saniflash
I'm kinda surprised, honestly, by all the disagrees with my post and @Jackl1956 . Is it "No, Tesla doesn't need to advertise" and if so, "because they sell all they make"? Or "because Elon's Twitter and public memes - like the Cyrbertruck window-smash 'fiasco' - reach everyone we care about"? Or is it "you picked all the wrong things to promote"? Or "we don't want people who consume popular culture over TV to buy a Tesla" (which surely runs counter to Elon's mission). I'm really not sure.

Mainly people are tired of this issue coming up every couple of months. And there is not one reason why we disagree - people here have different opinions to why.

But I think many of us would prefer this discussion in a separate thread. Create your own - or continue this one:

Poll: Elon has admitted that Tesla may eventually advertise - when?

My problem with using money on ads is that it will give Tesla no large benefits and several disadvantages.

No more sold cars since all cars are sold anyway.
Frustrated customers wanting the car but having to wait even longer to get it.
Less profit since ads are expensive.

you never know. Seeing SpaceX succeed can remind people how capable Elon Musk is. How much time he spend at SpaceX is also a proxy of well run Tesla is. The man is a walking meme.
Yeah, I know... the two companies really shouldn't be related from an SP perspective, but they commonly are. Damn I wish I could buy me some SpaceX stock... the sky isn't even the limit for that enterprise!

I've sold off some more of my hedges today. So overall it's about 1/4 of the sizes from when I first started my tripple short strategy. Portfolio is back to about breakeven when I last checked in January.

Don't really enjoy having to deal with this, but I remembered that even the most "buy and forget" investor, Buffett, also resorted to little tricks and maneuvers when he encountered one of these market collapses in his life time. Which is counter to a lot of safe investment advices. I don't think anybody can truly be passive with their investments from now on. We have to adapt as the world is changing and we are getting "once in a lifetime" black swan events every decade now and a lot of things that doesn't make sense mathematically started showing up. Like negative bond yield and negative oil prices. Think about it from another perspective. Someone throws money at you when you buy something. It's like those little junk plastic toys they throw at you as a reward at a shop for being a customer. It means the money is worthless.

I would tend to agree but the kind of people who think that Tesla is an evil foreign liberal car company or an elitist rich guy scam company are not swayed by facts.

Thank you for just blowing up any thought of advertising or advertising effectiveness and all else related with that one sentence.

We’re all supposedly prime targets for advertising, which I’ve been told by some here can not be avoided in anyway - hold up while I’m compelled to buy the Cocoa Puffs.:rolleyes:

Now I’ve been told that even an ad on the up and up (because ads can be ‘righteous’, detailing facts will be dismissed by the very people who need to buy an EV (that’s why we’re targeting them because they think coal is king and oil is his twin brother) because they are immune to factual advertising. :rolleyes:

What a stupendous laugh I am having right now.

But Mobileye had a functioning system in 2016 that people still miss when switching to >= AP2 cars? I'm not talking about a FSD proof 99.9999% system here, I'm hoping for something I could use for everyday driving instead of the pretty crappy gps based system. Or at least here in Europe it sucks compared to AP1.
I've had an AP1 car as a loaner. That technology has its own issues. Lots of AP1 is in the capability of blindly following the car ahead of you, which works out alright if the car ahead of you doesn't make errors.

Yeah, I know... the two companies really shouldn't be related from an SP perspective, but they commonly are. Damn I wish I could buy me some SpaceX stock... the sky isn't even the limit for that enterprise!
I can already hear it
"The interior of SpaceX's rockets is not nearly as nice as my trailer"
"Fire and explosion reported at every launch event. When is the NHTSA finally coming for Elon Musk?"
"They said over 1,000,000 satelites have been launched into the sky. I can't see any from my house. Fraud!"

Just as an FYI: E*Trade has started lending, a very few of, my TSLA shares lately which hasn't happened in a long time. (Paying me 0.5% which means the lending rate is 1%, up from the GC 0.3% that S3 says TSLA normally runs at.)

I'm not sure what that means, I don't think it means that shorting has greatly increased, but it must mean something.

the utilization rate is still ~25% at IB
(it was near 90% a year or two back)

not full market inclusive info, but a decent sample size.

in other words, don’t read too much into it
i wouldn’t be surprised to see SI shr qty rise some, i think we’re still around 16-17mm shares

Another successful launch & booster recovery for SpaceX.

i watched it streak through the sky from ~80 miles away - it was really cool!!!!

on the way up it was just larger than a speck of white with fire coming out of its rear (through binoculars)... then the booster came back and took a right turn straight down into the haze...what a sight!

Well, you're not new here so I guess you skipped over the previous discussions about advertising. I think most of the disagrees were probably from people like me who think Tesla will advertise if and when it would offer some benefit and who also believe lengthy silly debates whether Tesla should advertise at this point in time don't belong here.

exactly! i think it was a year ago i spewed on the advertising people. i’ve shut up about it since. i just don’t get why people here have to make a discussion about something that is totally irrelevant at this time. it was an non-starter 2 years ago, 1 year ago, and still is now. stop with the advertising talk! jeezus