Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting development from ir.tesla.com Evidently "Citadel Securities" has reported today an ownership of nearly 8 million shares: 0001104659-20-050982 | SC 13G | Tesla, Inc.

Found some commentary/analysis on /r/teslainvestorsclub: SEC Filing Form 13G : teslainvestorsclub

EDIT: Heck, the comment I linked to got deleted. The OP of that thread was basically just speculating that they're operating somewhat like Renaissance Capital. But they probably deleted the comment as it's come to light that they work as an options market maker.

Last edited:
Interesting development from ir.tesla.com Evidently "Citadel Securities" has reported today an ownership of nearly 8 million shares: 0001104659-20-050982 | SC 13G | Tesla, Inc.

Found some commentary/analysis on /r/teslainvestorsclub: SEC Filing Form 13G : teslainvestorsclub

Yikes. I presume what they don’t have to disclose is their short position.
That they can dump 8M shares whenever it benefits them is obviously of concern. Just depends which side of the trade they are on at any given time.
Can someone remind what the volume was that caused the Feb 4 drop?

Elon was not forcibly removed from the position of Chairman of the Board, he agreed to step down as part of his settlement with the SEC over the "take private at $420 tweet". Which seems kind of like a childish and punitive solution since it doesn't address the alleged violation. In other words, Musk is just as capable of tweeting violations whether he's a regular board member and CEO or Chairman of the Board and CEO. But whatever, water under the bridge.

I know that. You know, I know that. That’s not what the media reports. Though that wasn’t the point of me typing that.

But thanks for correcting the media for anyone here who still is under some illusion they report accurately.

Short Interest...
upload_2020-4-24_14-1-28.png

What's the significance?

To be honest, I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can answer that question. I don't know what kind of delay goes into these filings, or how transparent they need to be about holdings at any given moment. If they're holding nearly $5.6 billion worth of TSLA into earnings I would say that's super bullish.

According to Wikipedia, they're primarily a market maker involved in options: Citadel LLC - Wikipedia Maybe the shares are held as a hedge against some massive call open interest.

It was a Montana Skeptic article on Seeking Alpha, you should know it's for entertainment purposes only.

Inherently I knew that. But you provided a link! I said; Self, why would @JRP3 provide a link to THAT site from THAT twerp UNLESS there’s something I should know? Self, you must click. He would not lead us astray.

Then I said; ****** ****** what the ****? You have been duped, but keep reading because there has to be something of value or @JRP3 would NOT have linked.

Then I said; (can’t even asterisk code it because it’s that bad; like words you’ve never even heard). But by this time I was so far down the rabbit hole there was only one way out - finish reading. :eek:

I’ve been traumatized.

I wouldn't read too much into this. Citadel Securities is the market-making business, not the hedge fund.
This ownership can be part of a myriad of delta-neutral, gamma-neutral market-making strategies.
Unlike the hedge fund, they don't actually do buy-side investments, so I suspect that this position was already hedged by some combination of derivatives trades, and possibly even some combination of the convertable bonds.

Now on the other hand, if Citadel LLC (the hedge-fund), acquired $5B of $TSLA, that'd be another story.

He must be getting awfully frustrated his articles have absolutely NO EFFECT on TSLA share price any longer. Back in the "good-ole-days" when he published an article the stock would drop.
@StealthP3D
note:
MS seems to be retired at a young age, so he has a lot of free time on his hands
{{he probably needs the pennies from the clicks}}
{a cheery hug and a smooch to the lurkers & scrapers from seeking alfalfa}

Last edited:
Inherently I knew that. But you provided a link! I said; Self, why would @JRP3 provide a link to THAT site from THAT twerp UNLESS there’s something I should know? Self, you must click. He would not lead us astray.

Then I said; ****** ****** what the ****? You have been duped, but keep reading because there has to be something of value or @JRP3 would NOT have linked.

Then I said; (can’t even asterisk code it because it’s that bad; like words you’ve never even heard). But by this time I was so far down the rabbit hole there was only one way out - finish reading. :eek:

I’ve been traumatized.
@Krugerrand
its easy to get rid of your SA fix.
just constantly contradict Monostat Styptic. tell him he's wrong, providing correct numbers
you get put on permanent double secret monitoring and can never again post there without getting posts "checked" and no longer even it seems to post in MS comments.
actually helpful "cold turkey" as SA is a waste of time

During after-hours trading TSLA succumbed to a $6 drop around 17:13 EDT. At the same time Barron’s published an article titled “Hedge Fund Disclosed Huge Stake in Tesla Stock.”. It was immediately repeated on my TD Ameritrade and Thinkorswim newsfeeds.

I wouldn’t be surprised if dumb traders or algobots took Disclosed to mean Disposed. :rolleyes:

An hour earlier Tesla emailed to me the SEC filing of Citadel Securities' stake in the company. There really was no news that could justify sudden selling. I now see the share price recovering, as apparently cooler heads are taking advantage of the drop.

There seems to be some discrepancy of whether or not this is "the fund" or "the market making" entity and I'm not familiar with Citadel to know the difference. Anybody on here know?

Here's the real 13G:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/...0982/tm2016845d1_sc13g.htm?mod=article_inline

It notes:
  • Citadel Securities LLC may be deemed to beneficially own 7,675,822 shares of common stock.
    The number of shares that Citadel Securities LLC may be deemed to beneficially own constitutes approximately 4.2% of the common stock outstanding.

• Each of CALC IV LP and Citadel Securities GP LLC may be deemed to beneficially own 7,747,323 shares of common stock.
    The number of shares that each of CALC IV LP and Citadel Securities GP LLC may be deemed to beneficially own constitutes approximately 4.2% of the common stock outstanding.

• Each of Citadel Advisors LLC, Citadel Advisors Holdings LP and Citadel GP LLC may be deemed to beneficially own 116,736 shares of common stock.
    The number of shares that each of Citadel Advisors LLC, Citadel Advisors Holdings LP and Citadel GP LLC may be deemed to beneficially own constitutes approximately 0.1% of the common stock outstanding.