Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She's getting a Cybertruck? Her options strategies must be working well (of which I have no doubt).

I wish I could stay in touch with her, but Twitter makes my skin crawl.

Cybertruck confirmed...

If got on to Twittter to get fire and emergency updates where I live, last time we had bad fires, for that it is good.

Karen and a few others are worth following, I only follow about 6 handles, I only added Elon yesterday. .. so I''m slowly being sucked into the black hole.

Please spare us your outrage on behalf of Tesla employees: the state (with federal support) has implemented a special unemployment scheme of up to $4200 per month in benefits through July exactly for this situation. It's not surprising to see the Elon flailing and desperate for a nearly billion dollar payday based on stock performance, but the bad PR and bad will with local authorities will far outweigh any benefits for our shares.

Err ... have you ever tried to file claim through EDD this month? Please try it.

The support from the state doesn't count if people can't get check.
It's pretty out of touch stating that people can get paid.

Newsom states that they are adding *hundreds* of people today to process millions of claims with backlog. Comcast has even better customer service than EDD.

Texas is the potential battery day site because they may not be able to hold it in Cali.
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk on Q1 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

I interpreted it as Texas being the preferred location, because there is something there. It'd be quite random to, if they're not allowed to do it in Cali, to do it in Texas instead. That in combination with the Giga Texas tweets seems like something is brewing over there, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: JusRelax
This thread is amazing. After months of not paying attention to Covid19, not noticing all of Musk's inaccurate tweets, etc... Musk tweets about it yesterday and suddenly everyone has a strong opinion! Amazing coincidence :rolleyes:

Whether or not Fremont should open is a good question, but I certainly don't trust Musk to analyze the situation correctly considering how wrong he has been on the issue. Like not even debatable.

Think for yourself. Go follow the depressing coronavirus thread, where the educated are noting how long this will go on, and the ignorant say 'everyone is going to die eventually anyways'.

You may find out that America is different from China, China can reopen their factory after 2 months because they can clamp down on virus spread way more than the U.S. can. Infection rate in the Bay Area is currently way higher than it was in Shanghai when they reopened.

The reported number of daily new cases in the Bay Area is currently about the same as it was when Fremont shut down in late March.

There is no way testing is in place to open up everything and prevent a massive spread to start right away.

You can certainly argue there might be ways to allow the Fremont factory specifically to open up, if enough testing and protocols are available. But is there enough testing for all of manufacturing? I don't know.

All I know is, anyone who thinks the Bay Area / California is in a condition where it is obvious it should open up (right now!) is mistaken.

It is not obvious.

Great points but I believe the comment on largest automotive backlog ever was as of end of q4 19, no? I assume many cancellations since then...

I'm pretty sure they made a comment about the automotive backlog having increased in Q1'20. I don't have a seeking alpha account though, so I can't search for it in the transcript.

EDIT: Definitely was Q1'20. Check this tweet:

anonyx on Twitter

Think for yourself. Go follow the depressing coronavirus thread, where the educated are noting how long this will go on, and the ignorant say 'everyone is going to die eventually anyways'.

Thank you very much, I have earned my biostatistics degrees and know things or two on epidemiology modeling.
You don't need to shame anyone as uneducated if we are holding a different opinions.

Now on with discussion of the actual company, any thoughts on what investors would need to hear at Battery Day to cause any significant movement of the stock price of the subsequent months?

Like, would announcement of a million mile battery, with 30% increased energy density and 30% less cost be worth 0, 25, 50 billion to market cap?

Or a clear plan to build out terawatt hours / year capacity make a difference?

Basically, is the market valuing Tesla's growth trajectory in a way that will be fundamentally different after Battery Day? What would it take to do that?

Tesla wants to eventually make 20m cars... So you're talking about probably 40 gigafactories eventually. Many more in USA, China, Europe, India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia...

Queue the Oprah meme... :D
Kirkhorn mentioned on the earnings call the GFs are getting bigger and they will probably end up building fewer because of this.

This thread is amazing. After months of not paying attention to Covid19, not noticing all of Musk's inaccurate tweets, etc... Musk tweets about it yesterday and suddenly everyone has a strong opinion! Amazing coincidence :rolleyes:

Whether or not Fremont should open is a good question, but I certainly don't trust Musk to analyze the situation correctly considering how wrong he has been on the issue. Like not even debatable.

You may find out that America is different from China, China can reopen their factory after 2 months because they can clamp down on virus spread way more than the U.S. can. Infection rate in the Bay Area is currently way higher than it was in Shanghai when they reopened.

The reported number of daily new cases in the Bay Area is currently about the same as it was when Fremont shut down in late March.

There is no way testing is in place to open up everything and prevent a massive spread to start right away.

You can certainly argue there might be ways to allow the Fremont factory specifically to open up, if enough testing and protocols are available. But is there enough testing for all of manufacturing? I don't know.

All I know is, anyone who thinks the Bay Area / California is in a condition where it is obvious it should open up (right now!) is mistaken.

It is not obvious.

Don’t twist words. I was saying it’s obvious that a Great Depression would be way worse for the human race. Tesla can open up their factory with the right protocols.

Last time I checked over 95% of deaths are people over 80. If you are high risk take care of yourself. Otherwise the economy should open up. This corona panic is dumb.

BTW I thought this way before Elon had the guts to speak up about it. Look at Sweden and how they are doing.

I'm pretty sure they made a comment about the automotive backlog having increased in Q1'20. I don't have a seeking alpha account though, so I can't search for it in the transcript.

EDIT: Definitely was Q1'20. Check this tweet:

anonyx on Twitter

The context was Tesla having the highest number of backlogs despite total phase out of tax credit for q1 2020.

His Texas comments during the call seemed a bit equivocal. Earlier he had tweeted approval of Texas' reopening policy, so part of me thinks he was just poking at CA by talking about doing Battery Day from Texas because it would be open for business. He mentioned third week of May. When asked about next Giga announcement, he indicated that was further out - one to three months I believe he said.

@FrankSG interpreted this to mean there would be a battery-only Giga in Texas (announced on Battery Day) with Cybertruck Giga announced later somewhere else. I'm not so sure. I swore I read somewhere recently that Musk indicated there wouldn’t be any more stand-alone battery gigas - battery production would be collocated with vehicle production.

I'm more thinking that Battery Day will be from Fremont with combined Cybertruck/battery Giga announced June/July timeframe. I’m still rooting for Texas, of course, but another factory is the important thing.

So, I don’t disagree with you, except - Elon. There was a day not too many years ago where he mentioned off the cuff how if somebody didn’t build a battery factory, that Tesla would.

Originally Elon wanted to show OEMs a path to building EVs. Then one day when it became clear they weren’t going to pick up the ball and run with it, he changed his mind and point blank said if they wouldn’t play, he’d kill them if he had to.

I don’t think he has any intention of packing up his California toys and moving everything to Texas. But if I was Alameda County, I wouldn’t test him.

Now on with discussion of the actual company, any thoughts on what investors would need to hear at Battery Day to cause any significant movement of the stock price of the subsequent months?

Like, would announcement of a million mile battery, with 30% increased energy density and 30% less cost be worth 0, 25, 50 billion to market cap?

Basically, is the market valuing Tesla's growth trajectory in a way that will be fundamentally different after Battery Day? What would it take to do that?

Just on Q1 both Dave L and Rob M, noted $354 M regulatory credits in Q1 certainly helped the results, I think that might dip in Q2 because FCA sales in Europe will dip.

I think Battery Day may boost the stock price and this solid Q1 result will help.. or a better way of saying that is Battery Day should move the price.

Short Term price movements can be unpredictable, but battery day has the potential to be great, I'm just not sure if the market will understand it, or if any of it is "priced in".

Reactions: SpaceAggie
Elon Musk

I think we will announce the next Giga possibly as soon as a month. We may not – as soon as next month. This is not a prediction, just saying. That's – that could happen. It will certainly be within three months and possibly one month. And that would be in the U.S. So as for how many will be in five years, I'm not – I don't know right now what that number would be. I guess, several more than there are today. But I'm not sure, what exactly it would be in five years, but some number more than today.

Don’t twist words. I was saying it’s obvious that a Great Depression would be way worse for the human race. Tesla can open up their factory with the right protocols.

Last time I checked over 95% of deaths are people over 80. If you are high risk take care of yourself. Otherwise the economy should open up. This corona panic is dumb.

BTW I thought this way before Elon had the guts to speak up about it. Look at Sweden and how they are doing.

Yeah Sweden is really killing it.

ewt-85swkaiaa2y-png.536868

Now Sweden may show to have the best approach in the long run, but it is certainly not clear right now!

Attachments

• EWt-85sWkAIAA2y (1).png
    12.6 KB · Views: 28

I actually see movement prior and then fades after battery investor day. Clear path and road maps doesn't move this stock because it's a show me company. Now if they announce anything crazy like "the current model S can travel 550 miles, we just need to update the software and website" then that can move the stock. Aspirational numbers does not until it's implemented. Fsd investor day didn't do a thing to the stock.

Tesla wants to eventually make 20m cars... So you're talking about probably 40 gigafactories eventually. Many more in USA, China, Europe, India, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia...

Queue the Oprah meme... :D
Each Giga is bigger and produces more vehicles (Elon joked they will have to start calling them Tera), so they won't need so many.