Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Find me a moving company that will get a family moved from California to Texas on 400 dollars. Then tell me if you would spend your life savings to move from California to Texas because you boss was fed up with the California state government.

The corporation will typically pay for the move. Also, that $400 cash in the bank you are quoting, it has much to do with American culture of consumer spending, credit cards, refinance to take out cash, etc. Americans just don't like to save.

Preparing a house to MLS takes 3-4 weeks.
From sales pending to closing without contingent takes 4 weeks. It can be even longer depends on which bank unless the buyer willing to buy it in 100% cash.

So we are looking into 2 months of time before Elon could get cash from the escrow.

You think someone like Elon has banks telling him no cash till sale? Banks will take a lien on his properties tomorrow and give him cash until he finds a buyer of that's something he's willing to do.

Not disputing that, but there is more to it than that. We're the same in my area house price wise, and honestly I wish they could look at central Washington as a potential GF (or TF) location as we have a LOT of attractive perks for a company like Tesla, but honestly the Austin area makes way more sense for this investment. Maybe the 6th or 7th one...

OK let's look at rent then. The point i'm making is the same: much bigger house for less money.

View attachment 537995 View attachment 537996

Assuming this move to Texas happened, a lot of CA staff could be give the option of continuing to do their current job in CA, or taking a new position in Texas. For a time some software and engineering jobs could happen in both locations..

But the next step is new and more exciting jobs are advertised in Texas, some staff that leave in CA are not replaced.
In CA, the Bay area in particular, software developers seem to move to / from Tesla, Apple Google etc frequently.

Software development can be done in multiple locations as Tesla working on multiple types of software and possibly multiple versions.

If this scenario plays out the benefit for the employee is the best and most exciting work is now in Texas, the cost of housing is lower and the lifestyle is different... (might not suit everyone).

The downside for the employee is that moving jobs to Apple and Google is no longer easy, and if they sell a house in CA, moving back might be hard (they can always rent their existing house out).

The advantages for Tesla are:-
  • Lower office rents.
  • Less staff turnover (not as much competition)
  • Tapping a new source of talented staff.
Keep in mind we could all be speculating about something that will never happen, but when you start speculating, it seems to make sense.

It is an open question if the best staff could be attracted to Texas, but I think they would be because, if they own a house in CA they can rent it out.. that leaves open the option of moving back.. If they are younger and renting, then location isn't that important, career opportunities and interesting work are more important.

I spent some time reading Elon's twitter feed. His declaration that he intends to sell his home makes me queasy but I try to remind myself that Twitter is just about the best communication mode imaginable for ambiguity.

More interesting was that Elon posted his 'TSLA is too high' line in response to someone who posted 'Bitcoin is too low.' That sounds like classic Elon to me, jesting with the natives.
The Bitcoin tweet was in reply to Musk’s Overvalued tweet.

In 2014 i sold my big Fremont Ca house and bought a house twice as nice in Washington State for half the price. No state income tax. Lower property tax. I ain't going back.

Sorry but we would never sell our house here in the Bay area to move to Washington State. Period....despite the high cost of living etc. I think a lot of the tech people feel the same way. Also would never move to Texas either.

I took Elon’s twitter comments as touching on three totally separate issues. While I don’t necessarily agree with Elon’s covid views I can understand where he is coming from. Not sure it’s the best way to put them out there but he is a business leader and wants to get back in the game. He also knows he needs suppliers who could go bankrupt in the meantime. I do wonder if Maye came down with the virus if it would alter his view at all. As for the comment on selling his houses and possessions (one house he had with an ex-wife he sold a little while back), he’s said for some time that he will liquidate his things (and pretty sure at some point his Tesla stock) to put into the Mars mission but in the mean time he’s committed to furthering both missions and seeing them through. He’s put more of his own money into Tesla too. I’d call this his life’s mission. I truly believe he’s not into this for the money personally unlike some social posters have claimed. The money makes his missions possible to pursue. He is one of those rare business leaders who doesn’t take a salary when he could. As for the SP being overvalued, he has commented on it before when analysts were making the same comments. Being the largest shareholder, he stands to lose the most on paper. I took the twitter comments with a raised eyebrow but it hasn’t altered my feelings about the company. Holding stock long-term.

Sorry but we would never sell our house here in the Bay area to move to Washington State. Period....despite the high cost of living etc. I think a lot of the tech people feel the same way. Also would never move to Texas either.

I took Elon’s twitter comments as touching on three totally separate issues. While I don’t necessarily agree with Elon’s covid views I can understand where he is coming from. Not sure it’s the best way to put them out there but he is a business leader and wants to get back in the game. He also knows he needs suppliers who could go bankrupt in the meantime. I do wonder if Maye came down with the virus if it would alter his view at all. As for the comment on selling his houses and possessions (one house he had with an ex-wife he sold a little while back), he’s said for some time that he will liquidate his things (and pretty sure at some point his Tesla stock) to put into the Mars mission but in the mean time he’s committed to furthering both missions and seeing them through. He’s put more of his own money into Tesla too. I’d call this his life’s mission. I truly believe he’s not into this for the money personally unlike some social posters have claimed. The money makes his missions possible to pursue. He is one of those rare business leaders who doesn’t take a salary when he could. As for the SP being overvalued, he has commented on it before when analysts were making the same comments. Being the largest shareholder, he stands to lose the most on paper. I took the twitter comments with a raised eyebrow but it hasn’t altered my feelings about the company. Holding stock long-term.

Curious, why would you not movie to Washington? I'll say again getting an entire factory of people to move from California to Texas is a monumental task but I'm equally perplexed by this bay area "my God we'd never move to a state like washington" mentality. Id rather live in the San juans or any other Puget sound housing situation than SF.

Your personal housing preferences /= the complexities of moving an entire workforce.

Also if you have any June 2022 calls I suggest you start looking at washington property, Tesla's gonna kill it over the next 24 months and California claims your long term capital gains STATE taxes for 18 months after you leave.

You have until December, don't say you haven't been warned.

On the subject of California:

California’s great Central Valley — the combination of the San Joaquin and Sacramento Valleys — produces 25 percent of the food eaten in the United States.

Hollywood’s film industry is America’s single business that has indisputably led the world for than a century — despite recession, despite depression, Hollywood has defined art, culture and communication while making money year after year after year. LA LA land as it is often called, is one of the most conservative business models ever created,

Disney single-handedly spawned the cartoon industry and the amusement park industries — culturally impacting the lives of children and people worldwide. Imagine cartoons without Mickey Mouse. Disney does not have engineers, they have imagineers.

Silicon Valley’s contribution to the computer industry and the development of the Internet — think Intel, Cisco Systems, and hundreds of other technology companies — has driven productivity and efficiency across the planet.

San Diego’s Qualcomm drove the development of cellular technology enabling communications by billions and billions of people.

Apple combined cellular technology and computer into smart phones further advancing communication and collaboration seeding innovation and invention to levels mankind has never experienced.

SpaceX in one development — reusable rockets — rekindled the worlds passion for exploration and science — rekindled mankind’s imagination for what’s possible.

Tesla has sparked a revolution in transportation, safety and a belief that we change the world — belief that we heal our environment — belief that we can leave a better world for our children.

Many are so quick to criticize California; consider what your world would be like without California. Hell, you’re probably reading this on an IPhone or some computer designed in California. Surfs up! Y’all be cool.

Disregard if this from Adam Jonas was already shared here.

View attachment 537943

Wow...nice to see a calm and reasoned analysis from Jonas. Probably one of the better I have seen to date.

IF Elon indeed is trying to highlight that he does not care about the money it would be a nice play to offer some of his future stock awards to his employees. This would be a nice action from the CEO. If he offered one tranche it would not impact future plans, but would be a solid tangible action. Just a thought...

Edit: A nice PR move would be to also offer funds toward personnel on the front lines of COVID. This would help remove some of the crazy and allow his thoughts to be taken more seriously than simply as a rant.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a stupid thought/question. I think Elon tweeted the stock was too high to prove that he doesn't care about the value of his shares and isn't trying to reopen Fremont because he cares more about money than people. But, could he have also done it in an attempt to drive the SP low enough on purpose so that he no longer gets the stock compensation, and would that impact Tesla financials in Q2? (Bear trap)?

I have no idea what I'm talking about and throwing it out there for others to ponder. (Where is Fact Checking when you need him!)

This is exactly what I've been thinking all day.

Reactions: Thumper
Curious, why would you not movie to Washington? I'll say again getting an entire factory of people to move from California to Texas is a monumental task but I'm equally perplexed by this bay area "my God we'd never move to a state like washington" mentality. Id rather live in the San juans or any other Puget sound housing situation than SF.....

I’ll throw out climate which we enjoy pretty much year round. Can’t stand long periods of damp, cloudy days and rain. A doctor friend took a job up near Seattle to do a year of residency and couldn’t wait to escape the weather up there. We live more inland and closer to San Jose than colder San Francisco (maybe being in SF is your problem) and don’t get mosquitos. A few hours of driving, great variety of all kinds of places and activities in all kinds of terrain and weather conditions. Our house space is large enough and our smaller yard space means less maintenance. Never wanted a big yard to take care of. Love our palms. Love bright sunny days. We’ve lived in a few different states and honestly this has been the place we feel most happy and at home. No place is perfect.

Last edited:
The stock price is higher than financials deserve because lots of people, especially here, believe in the mission. I hope my niece (2) and nephew (5) don't have to ever go to a gas station.

The stock price is high because many people are investing in a future they want to see, not just for pecuniary reasons.They are willing to invest in an "overvalued" company because the returns go beyond the financial...And Musk just told us to get bent today.

I still appreciate the guy, and hope he spends some time with his family and gets to soon experience the joy of a child being born, maybe take a break from twitter and find his center. The mission is still important, and needs him.

We had just listened to him in the conference call and he is not going crazy. During the conference call we all got disconnected. I believe this has something to do with all of this. Somebody in there is disagreeing with his rant about letting his factory open back up. Why can't he open his factory ONLY to people that don't leave the place. Why can't they just sleep in the parking lot in trailers or something for a week or so and then get tested or something before they are allowed to come back to work. They did it in Shanghai. Why can't they be allowed to do it here.

Why would he do that when he seems to believe the whole thing is a fascist conspiracy to keep the world under house arrest?
It's almost but not completely the actual plot of Deus Ex, the game which is currently his Twitter avatar.

Deus Ex is one of the most influential PC games of all time and Elon is a known fan. The world it envisions is one where many well-known conspiracy theories are real, including the Illuminati, the Majestic 12, and the Knights Templar. The Men in Black, the black helicopters, aliens and Area 51 are all real and figure in the game's story at various points too.

One of the most eerie things about this game's prediction of future events is the opening level, where the New York City skyline is visible in the background but the World Trade Center towers are clearly missing. Deus Ex was released in 2000 after a 3 year development process, the Twin Towers came down a year later in 2001. The developers actually had issues fitting the entire skybox into memory at the time and the texture had to be reduced in size, and the missing Twin Towers is actually explained in the game as the WTC being destroyed in a terrorist attack.

Most relevantly today, Deus Ex centers around a global pandemic (the "Grey Death") caused by a manufactured nanotech virus which was released by one of the game's nefarious secret organizations (Majestic 12) to bring about global anarchy and the collapse of world governments and result in the leader of the group ruling the world as an absolute dictator. The same organization also manufactures a vaccine ("Ambrosia") which can mitigate the virus for awhile (but is not a cure), with supply intentionally limited so it can go to governments, important industries, politicians, scientists, and intellectual elites. The masses are allowed to die in mass quantities to reduce the amount of potential resistance to the establishment of the One World Government.

While COVID-19 seems unlikely to be man-made, and it is certainly not based on nanotechnology, the parallels between the game's story and what is now playing out in the world are too coincidental to be ignored.

It's almost but not completely the actual plot of Deus Ex, the game which is currently his Twitter avatar.

Deus Ex is one of the most influential PC games of all time and Elon is a known fan. The world it envisions is one where many well-known conspiracy theories are real, including the Illuminati, the Majestic 12, and the Knights Templar. The Men in Black, the black helicopters, aliens and Area 51 are all real and figure in the game's story at various points too.

One of the most eerie things about this game's prediction of future events is the opening level, where the New York City skyline is visible in the background but the World Trade Center towers are clearly missing. Deus Ex was released in 2000 after a 3 year development process, the Twin Towers came down a year later in 2001. The developers actually had issues fitting the entire skybox into memory at the time and the texture had to be reduced in size, and the missing Twin Towers is actually explained in the game as the WTC being destroyed in a terrorist attack.

Most relevantly today, Deus Ex centers around a global pandemic (the "Grey Death") caused by a manufactured nanotech virus which was released by one of the game's nefarious secret organizations (Majestic 12) to bring about global anarchy and the collapse of world governments and result in the leader of the group ruling the world as an absolute dictator. The same organization also manufactures a vaccine ("Ambrosia") which can mitigate the virus for awhile (but is not a cure), with supply intentionally limited so it can go to governments, important industries, politicians, scientists, and intellectual elites. The masses are allowed to die in mass quantities to reduce the amount of potential resistance to the establishment of the One World Government.

While COVID-19 seems unlikely to be man-made, and it is certainly not based on nanotechnology, the parallels between the game's story and what is now playing out in the world are too coincidental to be ignored.
Sorry but you sound like a crank, not a rational investor that anyone should take any notice of.

• Funny
Reactions: bramsvs
Sorry but you sound like a crank, not a rational investor that anyone should take any notice of.
Well you better sell all your TSLA then because the game I just described is literally his Twitter avatar and the tweets he's been sending out aren't exactly the picture of a rational CEO that anytime should take any notice of.

:cool: Tonight, I feel like being Warren Buffet :cool:
Hmmmm... this turned around quickly.... :D I almost got a hint how it feels to be a $TSLAQ shortseller :cool:

FFS people, grow a pair!!

all those: "Elon hurt my feelings because of his tweets; he shoudn't say that! " postings! :rolleyes: Get out of $TSLA and buy shares of Tupperware instead :D

Embrace the volatility!! As a long TSLA-bull, we were born and raised during major swings, FUD & Elon tweets :D

What has changed in the past 24 hours about Tesla? NOTHING!

We know Q2 is going to suck; you want to make more money during a risky time? This is it! Use this time to get more rich!!
So sit still / buy more shares!. But don't panic sell.