Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Im in the UK...and it feels like I slept a bit, then came back, and everyone suddenly thinks that
  • Elons tweets are 100% serious
  • Tesla is moving to Texas.
Guys.... its just some tweets, probably done while either drunk on tequila, while very high, or after being turned down for sex by his pregnant girlfriend.
Apart from anything, Tesla is more than Elon, he doesnt get the only say in where factories are located, or moved to/from. Also he seems to have a fair whack of local public opinion on his side regarding the re-opening stuff.

Today elon is back to tweeting about anime, bitcoin and other silliness, and retweeting spacex stuff. He just had a silly tweetstorm, and everybody took it way, way, way too seriously. He has also tweeted about building a secret lair in a volcano, and genetically engineering catgirls. Those are not happening either. Do people really think he will place an anime flag on the moon too?

The factory is not moving. it will re-open soon. Elon si not selling anything, the stock will recover. take a chill pill.

Sheesh, I just got here. Is this base camp for Mt. Handwringing? Concerned that I might not summit before nightfall. Seeing the bodies of Curt Renz and others during the ascent has been alarming, but I've decided to push on. :cool:

As for room in my pool bruh, step away! I'm social distancing! Only my hot girlfriend behind the camera is allowed within three meters!:p

On a serious note, I'm glad to see you maintaining a sense of humor after a rough go with TSLA!

HODL!

Advice. :)

I think there is a little space for a few TMC members to join you in that pool, or is it off limits like Krugerrand's island?

So... I can expect your resume on my desk by 10am tomorrow? Don’t forget to include 3 non-family member references with correct phone numbers; I will be calling them all so make sure you tell them to get their story’s straight.
Hmm...maybe...now just thinking out loud here....this would help me with my island conquering plans.
Get the cat's number....reverse track phone calls...find all island related interest.

Yes this could be a in.

Nah I prefer a frontal assault. Gun's blazing and all that.

I'm coming for ya cat.

Plus, I forgot that Hackman's character's altruism exacted a heavy toll!!! :eek:

I have seen this movie and every remake. I would do my very best to be Gene, but I’m pretty sure I run out of patience around deck 5 and drown a character or two. By the time you get done reading, I imagine you’ll have some choice candidates.

For those of you NOT butthurt and selfish, just a reminder feedingamerica.com could use your support.
Great post. Charity Watch has a list of hunger charities Top Rated Charities

upload_2020-5-2_8-29-12.png

On the subject of California:

As a Native Son (born in Upland), a former Silicon Valley type who was at SRI working on early AI (Lisp was very different then, but we made several commercial applications. I worked on the first one dealing with commercial lending) and a resident on both LA (Palos Verdes peninsula) and SF (Pacific Heights) I have strong views on which I claim expertise. Added to that is the my father sold his farm near Ontario to some strange guy named Walt Disney, of whom my father had never heard. That was in 1946, before I discovered the Mouseketeers and Annette, which captivated the worldwide childhood dreams of much of my generation, including my family in Brazil, where it was translated to Portuguese.

A quick review of my own career tells me that while in California I worked on many things that have since become ubiquitous. My colleagues, people I personally worked with led inventions that still boggle my mind. I actually contributed to some of them:
-the first commercial computer (GE 100- my boss led the project)
- Magnetic stripes on checks- I worked with the very, very nerdish person who did it. He never thought it was a big deal.
- Multi-modal container transportation- a project for Sea-Land. I worked on it.
- the non-bank bank(NBB) arcane and no longer relevant but transformed US financial services and funded my departure from SRI, when I encountered...
-PayPal which was introduced to me by a NBB Clint who insisted I absolutely had to invest an inventive fee I earned in PayPal. I did it because he insisted and the rest is history.

OK that is a very truncated partial history of California and me. Zero question exists that without California I would not exist. More so there is no place in the world where an ordinary guy like me could be involved in such a huge variety of consequential events for the world nor learn so much. FWIW, if I gave a complete list of all the stuff I worked on nobody would believe it. I barely do myself. How many ignorant people actually worked on DARPANET although we could not actually understand what we were doing? Similarly, working on SWIFT and being part of the group that renamed BankAmericard as Visa and spawned Visa International not to mention projects such as QUEST (quiet efficient supersonic transport) which came to an fied the project and confiscated all the work, so nothing was left except that acronym, which never was classified. We were all quietly angry, much more so the actual inventors.

All of that was in California. So are memories of a really strange kid with horrible bo who hung around as some of us were working with Xerox Parc and SRI on some bizarre notion to make a computer that could be used by untrained people. That was not too long after the project we did advising HP that there was no future for a handheld calculator because only engineers would use it and a slide rule was faster, easier and more flexible. Thus was TI formed and Austin became a tech center.

Many years later my house is full of the products first spawned by that kid with bo. Oddly enough I never sold my shares in his silly little fruity offspring, through thick and thin times.

I have childhood memories of Gilroy, garlic and Rainer cherries. I even remember gathering abalone with my father near Santa Cruz when the tide was out. I still have a couple of those shells.

Finally, I choose to live mostly in Brazil, a little bit in Miami, but I am grateful for California. My spouse and I regularly debate about moving back there. Still, California is the place to go to invent new dreams and make them happen, not a place for reminiscence.

Where better to base businesses intended to revolutionize the world we live in of even find new worlds in which to live?

Tesla probably could not have been created anywhere else. Despite the horrible problems, disarray and costs the intellectual ferment is needed.
My father used to say that Leland Stanford Junior University might someday become good enough to drop the ‘junior’. It seems he was correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that was a few couple of days wasn't it! Haven't been posting since the you-know-what, but have been lurking and reading all - but then had to skip 30 pages of indignation post- ER to try and see why the stock started to tank yesterday...

So yeah, I got caught-out a little with this as I've been selling covered calls and puts the last few weeks, yesterday I had a $745 put, which funnily enough I had closed in the morning, for a 60% profit, then decided to put a new buy order, at a relatively high price, just in case the stock dipped again, secure in the knowledge that MM's were looking for a $750-$785 close.

Well that all went to hell, but with the premiums I got, I'll be breaking-even on the shares assigned, and I expect the stock to go up next week after the hedge-fund shenanigans on Thursday and the hopeless panic yesterday. So maybe that will be OK in the end. Will sell covered call until sold. I also have a $745 put for next Friday too, so let's see how that pans-out. Plus, as mentioned, I increased my core shares by 0.5% thanks to some premiums from covered calls sold a few weeks back.

That Elon Musk though, eh, he's a right bugger, isn't he! I might even be angry if it wasn't for the fact that I'm heading towards being a Teslanaire thanks to his amazing vision and laser-focus on the goal. Yeah, you get some bumps along the way, but it's all part of the package folks!

If it was a "suit CEO" running Tesla then we wouldn’t ld be where we are today. Count your blessings.

Last edited:
Honestly the only one thing that has me slightly concerned is another battle with the SEC... Anyone have any insight into this? Would this be material info?

For the rest, if you have a problem with what happened yesterday, then you really haven't done your research into the leader of the company that you bought into. If you expect Elon to behave like a mainstream CEO, sell Tesla and go by Disney or something.

If you can't stomach this once or twice a year, Tesla is not for you. Elon will be Elon, take it or leave it but don't go cry because he behaves exactly like he has always been doing. You should have known better, and that's on you.

Honestly the only one thing that has me slightly concerned is another battle with the SEC... Anyone have any insight into this? Would this be material info?

For the rest, if you have a problem with what happened yesterday, then you really haven't done your research into the leader of the company that you bought into. If you expect Elon to behave like a mainstream CEO, sell Tesla and go by Disney or something.

If you can't stomach this once or twice a year, Tesla is not for you. Elon will be Elon, take it or leave it but don't go cry because he behaves exactly like he has always been doing. You should have known better, and that's on you.

He has tweeted the same thing about the stock being too high and said it in interviews at least 8 times over the years. He also added “imo”. Won’t be an issue with the SEC. There is a post earlier that someone showed a lawyers response stating that this is NOT actionable.

For me, it’s the one dog bite rule. Elon’s Twitter malfeasance during the M3 ramp was the first bite, potentially excusable because of severe pressure. But this is the second bite.

Which means now it’s very likely there are going to be more bites coming, and one of them could be much worse than what we’ve seen so far.

Does that make TSLA uninvestable? Not for me. I still see way more upside despite this risk.

But I’m deleveraging quite a bit now, and even for you folks who just own common you need to consider having a smaller percentage of your investable net worth in TSLA now.

Why? Because Elon is not just the CEO, he is the embodiment of TSLA. And we now know that he has the propensity to damage the SP by his behavior, and the next damage could be deep and permanent.

I'm a frequent reader, infrequent poster in these forums. My biggest concern as an investor right now is the shutdown of Fremont and dozens, perhaps hundreds of suppliers whose parts are all crucial in the production of cars. So in the worst case scenario, if local and State authorities don't allow Freemont and the suppliers to re-open until July, that means in Q2 they will only be able to sell the leftover cars from Q1 and a minimal number produced at Shanghai. I'm of the belief that Shanghai production is limited/bottlenecked right now because there simply isn't enough parts available due to the shutdown North American suppliers. Therefore China can't ramp production to offset Freemont being closed.

So after the excitement of battery date passes and when horrendous Q2 earnings are released in the scenario I've outlined, how low does everyone think the stock is capable of dropping?

On Tesla’s stock price:

“The overarching purpose of Tesla Motors is to help expedite the move from a mine-and-burn hydrocarbon economy towards a solar electric economy, which I believe to be the primary, but not exclusive, sustainable solution."

Elon Musk

Tesla is continually making measurable and demonstrable progress toward achieving its overarching purpose. Tesla stock is undervalued.

JB Leonard

Elon is the only CEO I have ever heard that buys his own secondary stock offerings,
And repeatedly so at every offering. The antithesis of pump and dump.

At the most recent secondary, he purchased stock (about $10 millions worth) at $750 something, but now
the stock price is high, contradicts that. Something does not square, so either his state of mind is off,
Or the subtext is lost in translation, or a combination, or given the present shutdown the price is high.

I will pretend it means nothing, and assume the SEC will ignore it too. I will
Use this controversy to my advantage and buy some stock.