Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They want a full time CEO, you know very well Elon couldn't do that since he wouldn't give up his other companies especially SpaceX.
Im an Elon fanboi but this statement right here doesnt sound right. He's got to make it work, or at least pretend to. Thats the whole point. I dare Elon to tweet "Tesla is not my only focus. I cant spend my entire day at Tesla" and hope to get our votes. He wont.

Im an Elon fanboi but this statement right here doesnt sound right. He's got to make it work, or at least pretend to. Thats the whole point. I dare Elon to tweet "Tesla is not my only focus. I cant spend my entire day at Tesla" and hope to get our votes. He wont.
What do you mean "He's got to make it work"?

He already made it work, it's been working for over 20 years, that's how he earned the compensation in the first place.

But none of these affect my original point, the following are facts regardless of whether you think they're right (as in morally good, justified, or acceptable) or not:
1. Those who vote no want a full-time CEO
2. Elon can't be a full-time CEO of Tesla
3. Thus those who vote no want to remove Elon as CEO

Whether you think #2 is right or not is a separate issue, it doesn't affect the conclusion #3.

TBH its probably extremely unlikely. The use case for starlink is rural. They just cannot support the population density in a city, certainly not as well as ground based cell towers and wired internet can. And the use case for robotaxi is overwhelmingly urban.

Seems like they could switch to starlink only when the car is in a rural area where there is no cell coverage.. Could market it as a safety feature for people going out camping/offroading.

What do you mean "He's got to make it work"?

He already made it work, it's been working for over 20 years, that's how he earned the compensation in the first place.

But none of these affect my original point, the following are facts regardless of whether you think they're right (as in morally good, justified, or acceptable) or not:
1. Those who vote no want a full-time CEO
2. Elon can't be a full-time CEO of Tesla
3. Thus those who vote no want to remove Elon as CEO

Whether you think #2 is right or not is a separate issue, it doesn't affect the conclusion #3.
For point #1, I understand that anybody unable to vote (EU...) is registered as a NO vote. This should affect how to interpret the results for conclusion #3.

Im with the same broker (a lot less shares though, not jealous :p) hopefully H&L can sort it out, if other brokers in the UK/Europe can not sure why they can't, something to do with CREST depositories.

I sent a secure message to them, thinking if they don't allow me to vote I will switch to a broker that can.
HL are notorious in overcharging and providing poor customer service. I am in the process of moving all the remainder of my sipp and isa portfolios from them to Freetrade. ( who make voting very easy and also use crest ). Best of luck

He constantly talks about using transformers for voltage reduction. This is DC guys! You use DC to DC converters, a complex analog circuit, not transformers!
An analog circuit would waste power.
A DC-DC converter is really DC-AC-DC.
For galvanic isolation (charging and 120/240 output), they must use transformers.
400V/800V to 48V needs only an inductor; but again, for isolation, a transformer is called for.

It would be more impressive if he knew what he was talking about. He constantly talks about using transformers for voltage reduction. This is DC guys! You use DC to DC converters, a complex analog circuit, not transformers!

Also Jordan of The Limiting Factor showed that Tesla’s side cooling was better than bottom cooling since you have a bigger contact patch area.
Um. I know DC-DC converters; DC-DC converters are friends of mine.

The isolated types do their step-up/step-down business by taking DC current and, using switching transistors, rapidly run current back and forth through the primary of a transformer; the secondary of said transformer has an AC waveform that gets rectified with more switching transistors, and then gets filtered with caps or chokes. This is all done at the highest frequency possible, typically in the 100’s of kHz to MHz. The effects of doing all this at high frequencies shrinks the size of the transformers hugely. A 60 Hz transformer doing 500W might weigh a couple-5 lbs; a DC-DC at that power level might weigh a couple ounces, max, and would consist of some ferrites clamped over a circuit board with the primary/secondary windings simply being traces on the circuit board. 95%+ efficiencies, typical.

The non-isolated types (boost, buck, or boost-buck) have similar efficiencies but, rather than having a transformer, have ferritic inductors for energy storage. These aren’t transformers, per se, but from the outside they look like them. And still use switching transistors (and sometimes diodes, or switching transistors rigged to act like diodes) to get the energy through the inductors.

Main point, though: the voltage/current transformation from low V/high current to high V/low current or vice versa is still using things that sure as heck are transformers or look like them. So I’d give him a pass on that one.

Mind you, it’s possible to build power supplies that go up or down in voltage with nothing but transistors, diodes, and capacitors, foregoing the inductors, but nobody I’m aware of does it that way except for very compact, low power applications. Like RS-232 differential drivers that want to put out +/-12 V starting from 3.3V, but it’s all low current, low power.

HL are notorious in overcharging and providing poor customer service. I am in the process of moving all the remainder of my sipp and isa portfolios from them to Freetrade. ( who make voting very easy and also use crest ). Best of luck
Freetrade require a monthly payment for ISA and SIPP, so not for me will stick with H&L for now and hope they sort out the voting issue.

HL charges are actually quite reasonable. I pay fixed fee of £16.66 per month (trade costs are additional but for me I HODL so dont too much care) on funds way over £1m.

I looked at Freetrade which are a little cheaper, for ISA funds to me they look fine, but their SIPP has no flexible drawdown facility - for me this is a deal breaker.

I may look at them for my ISA funds only - are you transferring shares rather than cash on transfer? I would be keen to do that as would not want to be out of market for any period on change of provider.

Im with the same broker (a lot less shares though, not jealous :p) hopefully H&L can sort it out, if other brokers in the UK/Europe can not sure why they can't, something to do with CREST depositories.

I sent a secure message to them, thinking if they don't allow me to vote I will switch to a broker that can.
AJ Bell also own US equities via CREST, but voting rights are now being honored there, albeit after pressure applied. This is seemingly a HL issue.

I'm pressuring HL also to provide me my voting rights.

What is a full time CEO?
If your CEO is married, are they not full time?
If your CEO goes on vacation, are they not full time?
If they put in 80hrs/ week for your company, do the other 88 matter? (Just a number, not a claim)
It is a person who is not simultaneously the CEO of other companies but commits their full working time to the company they are CEO of. A few extracurricular activities, like board or organization memberships may be allowed by the CEO's board/chairman, if they are seen to benefit the company. What the CEO does in their personal life / freetime is not an issue. Vacation rights are established in the employment agreement.

Troy believes a customer can go from qualifying for financing, to car pick up, to insurance registration in 2 days. Also he doesn't know only 6% of chinese buyers use financing to buy their cars. Lastly this logic is also saying most of the cars delivered was all on the last day of that week. Stick to facts Troy, leave the speculations to everyone else.

in some markets you can do this.

in UK its pretty much what I did last year with my M3P - ordered from inventory on Friday, finance approved same day (nothing happened at weekend), insurance sorted on Monday and picked up on the Tuesday. Had weekend and diary commitments not been in the way, I could have technically picked it up the day after I ordered it.

I think its perfectly fair to love TSLA (I do!) and admire and support Elon (I do!) but still think its ridiculous how many companies he is apparently running. Twitter was definitely a step too far. I love that he changed what he did there, but I'd be happier if he could both sell his twitter stock (and rebuy Tesla), and step away entirely from that one.
I don't think Elon will ever quit Tesla or SpaceX. They are companies he fought so hard for in their early years. But if he announced he is stepping away from neuralink, boring company and twitter, I think most of us would consider that a wise move.

Attitudes like yours are why FSD is already superior to humans. You write like someone who's never ridden a motorcycle in your life. Obviously, FSD is not just about the driver, it's about protecting all other motorists (and pedestrians) from the mistakes error-prone humans make, including but not limited to homicidal ideation, extreme narcissism, distraction, low-skill, drug-affected brain states, etc. This is the point Dan O'Clown keeps trying to make about FSD allegedly running over humans in tests designed to fail as part of a greater FUD campaign against Tesla, FSD, and Elon.

Nobody is asking for your sympathy, just that you pay attention, don't do stupid things that harm other people on or near the road, and don't be a homicidal maniac. Most of these are already part of state law and vehicle codes where we live. Certainly it should be part of any ethical standard.

Of course, the onus is also on riders not to ride like maniacs either.
I agree that people don't pay attention. However, not only have I ridden a motorcycle, in 4 countries, I have been in a truck that has ridden over and through a motorcycle and driver, a rather disgusting fatality. I have personally seen 3 motorcycle accidents, 2 the fault of the cars/trucks once the motorcyclist. People don't pay attention and we all know it. Anybody in a donor cycle knows that, also..IMO many donor cyclists often engage in risky behavior- looking at the rice rocket crowd. I would put the homicidal maniac moniker on the person that deliberately gets on a motorcycle when alternatives are available.