Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Laurie Garrett on Twitter
so apparently this is going to be Trumps strategy. I hope Elon doesn’t go to much down the rabbit hole of saying the deaths due to the virus are over counted. On the other hand the tactic to create demand could benefit Tesla.

The main problem is the testing protocol has been compromised from the very beginning:
  • CDC decided to make its own test kit instead of using the ones from WHO.
  • The CDC test kits were polluted and caused delay.
  • The lack of test kits made FDA to rush approved several testing methods from the private sectors without proper trial.
  • CDC changed how the test cases should be counted several times during the onset of pandemic, by first excluding presumptive cases and then including them into the actual cases counts.
  • The lack of centeral testing and reporting protocols being further comprised by the states variance due to no consistent federal guidance.
  • The compromised data being further used for the political gain for both sides.
To California credit, we have pretty consistent testing protocols but New York is mess. That's where people are questioning the data accuracy for good reason, not to downplay the risk but actually understand the evolution of the virus since other stakes are high (civil right, economic).

Anyway, we are now got stuck in the ideology with no obvious winners.

Elon is right to question the actual counting. If the science cannot be questioned, that is not science. That's authoritarian. Einstein also made mistake on quantum physics, so no one is saint. Finally Tesla is not fooling around the safety protocol, which is evident in Giga Shanghai, if you don't like to take Elon's tweet.

But we need to separate Elon's explosive tweet from how Tesla's own safety record. Elon's tweet has other intentions coming into play.

No, moving HQ is just paperwork change, no one have to physically move.
I would guess it’s more than paperwork. There will definitely be a corporate presence, especially if there is a new factory nearby. There will be city politicians to woo.

I remember when Continental Airlines was headquartered in Houston. (Houston Intercontinental Airport was also a huge Continental hub). The joke went that at the beginning of every Houston City Council Meeting the first order of business was "what can Houston do for Continental today?" Except it wasn’t a joke.

When United "merged" with Continental and moved HQ to Chicago, it was (psychologically) devastating to the city. Ten years later there are still people pissed about that.

Last edited:
I would guess it’s more than paperwork. There will definitely be a corporate presence, especially if there is a new factory nearby. There will be city politicians to woo.

I remember when Continental Airlines was headquartered in Houston. (Houston Intercontinental Airport was also a huge Continental hub). The joke went that at the beginning of every Houston City Council Meeting the first order of business was "what can Houston do for Continental today?" Except it wasn’t a joke.

When United "merged" with Continental and move HQ to Chicago, it was devastating to the city. Ten years later there are still people pissed about that.
Listen to this man. Very true. After the merger was proposed, UA had the gall to pretend the choice of HQ was in doubt but they were lying. Houston had no chance.

When United "merged" with Continental and moved HQ to Chicago, it was (psychologically) devastating to the city. Ten years later there are still people pissed about that.

Not necessarily. The previous company I worked for is a huge multinational company - which is officially domiciled ex-US. I have never been to HQ but our understanding was that the HQ is only 2 rented offices in that country. 90% of the revenue was in US and remaining in EU/LATAM etc. But for tax purposes, the official HQ was in a small country with almost no infrastructure and minimal corporate presence.

Agreed. And the I'm bemused by the apparent assumption that California engineering talent wouldn’t deign to move out of state for the opportunity to work at a company like Tesla.

There are plusses and minuses to working at Tesla. The more in the "+" column and fewer in the "-" column the better the draw for top talent. A minus is that it's known to be very demanding, not for slackers. A plus is that it's not in Texas. ;);)

An actual investment question??? I'd heard rumors that such questions existed, but never expected to actually see one...:)

That's funny but I don't really see how asking people to guess what the opening stock price will be on Monday to be an "investment question". It will be whatever it is when it opens.

There are plusses and minuses to working at Tesla. The more in the "+" column and fewer in the "-" column the better the draw for top talent. A minus is that it's known to be very demanding, not for slackers. A plus is that it's not in Texas. ;);)

Wait until you taste the BBQ ribs at Elon's cattle ranch... they will be ++++ (and you get to wear the big hat) :)

Over the last few days I’ve deleted several posts whose main purpose was to link to a post in the corona thread (unrelated to the Fremont factory closure). Stop using the main thread as a billboard to get a bigger audience for what you are posting in the corona thread.
The only problem is that this does not apply to the quote and link I posted and you deleted. It was not my material that I linked, it was someone else's, and it was directly related to what might happen when Tesla reopens Fremont and why Tesla's experience in China may not be applicable. I know not everyone reads the covid thread and thought this information was important enough to share. Just as I would if I had found the exact same information on some other site, I quoted what I thought was relevant and provided a link for anyone who wanted to dig deeper. I'm not sure why it was somehow deemed inappropriate simply because it came from another thread on this board.

Laurie Garrett on Twitter
so apparently this is going to be Trumps strategy. I hope Elon doesn’t go to much down the rabbit hole of saying the deaths due to the virus are over counted. On the other hand the tactic to create demand could benefit Tesla.

I don't see how getting people to believe the threat from CV is overblown will help him win re-election. I mean, you're supposed to pander to your base but you don't want to be killing them off! o_O

Reactions: phantasms
Omglol

And I don’t dislike RR.

15D83811-2885-4865-A852-2063651633FC.png

Its really mind-blowing to see people not grasp that at this point, non essential vs essential when it comes to manufacturing doesn't matter. You have other states with much higher infection rates that either opened up manufacturing weeks ago or never closed them to begin with. Where is the outrage that other auo manufacturers have restarted production already? It doesn't matter what state/County those other auto manufacturers are in. If people are that upset that Elon is calling out how unfair it is and that Elon is putting his employees at risk then all other manufacturers need to shut down, not just auto manufacturers. Airlines are barely flying and there's planes parked all over and yet its essential that Boeing be allowed to start manufacturing????

Pretty amazing how people will accuse someone of something and completely ignore hundreds over other companies and CEO that are doing the exact same thing that they're accusing Elon of.

"Elons putting his employees at risk!!" --- Isn't every manufacturer that is choosing to be open doing the same thing?

"Elons being a baby" ----- Wouldn't you be upset if everyone else is allowed to start production and you're not!?!?!

Thats some serious blinders there for anyone to be hating on Elon right now

Last edited: