Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article, "Environmental compliance is another common reason for choosing to use a water-based coating."

Maybe there is more than California's regulations that have Tesla use the water-based paint. They are, after all, for the betterment of the environment first and a car company second. I would be far more surprised to learn they switch to solvent based paint if they have the availability, just to prevent a few paint inconsistencies.

Nobody uses solvent-based automotive paint anymore. It's not better either. Now can you guys who want demonstrate what you don't know about paint coatings take it to another thread please. It's like watching paint dry.

The paint on my 2019 red model S seems perfect to me and several people have specifically complimented how the paint looks. But perhaps I was just lucky.

Yeah my 2019 3 paint looks fine to me too, but, then again, I don't go over my vehicles with a fine-toothed comb. I only get praise about how my 3 looks (although one acquaintance did confide to me that he could never buy a 3 because the front reminds him of a shark face and he has a massive phobia of sharks).

I've read plenty of noise around Tesla's paint and body panel fit, and the thing that strikes me as odd is that, personally, I don't care much if my paint has a minor ripple or a panel gap is off by a couple of millimeters. I don't look at my car that much, I just drive it.

I'm no car aficionado, and I guess if one is spending $50K+ on a vehicle it might matter to them, but as a member of "the general buying public" I couldn't really care less. I think my 3 looks fantastic, much better than the average car on the road, even better than BMW, MB, Lexus, etc.

25213E5A-DB0F-45C6-A5C9-920CA2EE7D9F.jpeg

5BF5AE63-FE4D-4A6D-8A92-51B9B28718C0.jpeg

B58F7ABE-27DE-422F-AF16-CAA3111EA358.jpeg

There were only ~180k shares sold short naked, correct? That's not nearly enough to cover delta hedging needs.

Thank you for your insight. My purpose in discussing naked shorting is identify if it is being used to drive down the SP with sudden large unexpected dumps, creating a follow-on cascade of panic selling. Look at the 'icicles' in this chart: ( @Papafox explains it well )

TSLA.chart.2020-05-12.Icicles.png

There are 3 obvious 'icicles' on today's chart (circled above in RED). Let's focus on the icicle at around 1:24 pm: the SP dropped $6.81 over the course of 4 min. This is about as obvious manipulation as it gets.

Then the shortzes just keep banging away until they reverse all TSLA's gains versus the macros for the day (purple line is the QQQ)

If Market Makers are participating in this naked short selling for their own proprietary trading (ie: trying to move the SP in order to save money on Friday's Options payouts, or 'Max Pain), then that is a violation of SEC regulation SHO.

Problem is, the SEC isn't minding the store. They're but a wooden Indian out front of the shop, collecting pennies in a hollow chest.

#SEC

Last edited:
I am shocked the entirety of the decision to re-open is only with Dr. Pam. She must be feeling very lonely right now since everyone else seems to want it open.

Based on this it seems to me that even the Alameda county legislature would like to reopen Fremont, and that Erica Pan is literally the only person stopping it from happening. Am I reading this correctly?

These health officers are out of control.

LA’s is suggesting restrictions will be in place at least through August.

LA Could be Under Stay Home Order Through August, Top Health Official Says

The 1918 Spanish flu, yellow fever and polio is why the health officer (normally) is an unelected position.

But, yes she should give in.

Thank you for your insight. My purpose in discussing naked shorting is identify if it is being used to drive down the SP with sudden large unexpected dumps, creating a follow-on cascade of panic selling. Look at the 'icicles' in this chart: ( @Papafox explains it well )

View attachment 541174

There are 3 obvious 'icicles' on today's chart (circled above in RED). Let's focus on the icicle at around 1:24 pm: the SP dropped $6.81 over the course of 4 min. This is about as obvious manipulation as it gets.

Then the shortzes just keep banging away until they reverse all TSLA's gains versus the macros for the day (purple line is the QQQ)

If Market Makers are participating in this naked short selling for their own proprietary trading (ie: trying to move the SP in order to save money on Friday's Options payouts, or 'Max Pain), then that is a violation of SEC regulation SHO.

Problem is, the SEC isn't minding the store. They're but a wooden Indian out front of the shop, collecting pennies in a hollow chest.

#SEC

@Artful Dodger Maybe this deserves its own thread. I just have a very basic question, hoping you have the answer.

if the MM or hedge funds are engaging in naked short selling, I assume they have to buy/cover those shares at some point. When they cover they are essentially going long correct? Because in the case of naked short selling you are not borrowing the shares so you don’t have to return them.

I mean do they hold on to the shares and probably use it to delta hedge their call options? Does this explain the recent 8K filing from Citadel? What am I missing? This also explains the huge swings in TSLA’s price. Most of the action is driven by options and the market makers have a trump card aka naked short selling to essentially manipulate as they want. It’s like an online poker game where the MM essentially knows what cards the opponents have.

That said, there is probably a pattern here that we can identify and I don’t know how to go about identifying it. Thanks for reading if you got to this point. Cheers.

I’m quite sure that’s all been presented to Alameda a long time ago. I’m quite sure the rage tweeting as you call it was because Alameda wasn’t responding to a rational, sensible approach. Indeed, we’ve found out after the fact that Alameda stopped answering phone calls and emails from Tesla. Indeed, they summarily nixed any discussions or questions on the subject in their most recent ‘close down your factory’ letter.

Clearly, we’re unaware of what has all been going on behind the scenes, but we can intelligently surmise by the extent of Tesla’s 38 page manifesto and the detail of the lawsuit that sugar was going on behind the scenes for quite some time prior to the tweets.

Elon Musk is not irrational by nature. He’s also not overly emotional by nature. He can become emotional, but I’ve never seen him get emotional for no reason at all. It’s always been after he’s been pushed to his limit or deeply hurt by someone.

I believe you’ve judged him wrongly. I believe he did all that you said you’d do. I believe he wasn’t getting any or at least enough concrete feedback from the county. He got frustrated, as he had every right to be and which we all would have been when the livelihoods of tens of thousands of people are depending on you and your company. That’s not even taking into account how empathetic he is about humanity as a whole.

You jumped to conclusions and made assumptions without knowing all the information and you still don’t have all the information, but it’ll come out eventually.

I'd like to ask you to re-read your first paragraph and then your last paragraph.

Those of us that found the tweets distasteful did not assume good process was happening. We evaluated the information that was publicly available.

The real test however would be if there was another auto manufacturer in Alameda County and whether it too had been unable to open or not. Honestly saying that all these other car manufacturers are able to open isn't exactly apples to apples with them being out of state and under different State and County health departments making orders based on their infection/hospitalization rates.

Many of the automakers with production approval have higher COVID rates than Alameda County. I don't see a problem comparing them. Additionally, they compete against one another.

I read that people are saving money right now unlike what they have been in the recent past likely due to job insecurity.

People are saving money right now because they can't spend it. Just between my wife and I, we are saving around $1900/month solely from not eating and drinking out. We don't want or need to be saving the money but it's literally impossible to eat or dine out (not that we would if we could right now). Your average consumer can add on the savings of cancelled vacations, tuition, clothes, tires, gasoline, oil changes, etc. The list goes on. As long as your income is secure, and many are, this money just builds up or is used to pay off credit cards, etc. In any case, it puts these people in a better position to buy a new car. Sure, a lot of people have reduced income during these times but you would be surprised how many are feeling no economic pain (quite the opposite actually).

Not sure I agree. The quarterly cycle is because of the infamous wave - that doesn’t apply to China anymore because of local production.

There is a wave in the US (from east to west). China should not be much different. The beginning of the quarter's production would be shipped to more distant parts of the country for sale before the quarter ends.

Reactions: Tim S
Elon Musk, Tesla Cybertruck, & Cyberquad ATV To Appear On Jay Leno’s Garage | CleanTechnica

"CNBC just released the teaser for the 5th season of “Jay Leno’s Garage.” The video shows Elon Musk, the Tesla Cybertruck, and the Tesla Cyberquad ATV. Perhaps these are from only one episode that will cover Tesla, but the specific date of this episode is not yet known.

"The next season of Jay Leno’s Garage starts May 20, and the show will air every Wednesday at 10:00 ET onwards."​

Should be more good PR. Elon's chomping at the bit to build Cybertruck.

Cheers!