Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New refillable batteries could fuel an electric car revolution — NBC News

I thought flow batteries like this wouldn’t have the energy density.
Also, I like the FUD about charging taking “Hours” they could at least mention the supercharger network.
Overall this idea sounds like a disaster.:eek:

U mean like the revolution that Tesla Sparked?

Most Tesla owners charge at night in their garages. It takes 5 seconds of effort. There are two groups of people who still can't understand this: the paid bashers and idiots.

During long distance travel, we take a lunch/dinner break while charge at the superchargers. Again only those two groups of people can't understand this.

Most Tesla owners charge at night in their garages. It takes 5 seconds of effort. There are two groups of people who still can't understand this: the paid bashers and idiots.

During long distance travel, we take a lunch/dinner break while charge at the superchargers. Again only those two groups of people can't understand this.

Besides the FUDsters, you're right that it's 2 groups of people but I think the breakdown is more like : ICE Owners vs EV Owners. People just can't stop thinking about things in the terms of the existing systems they know. People who own ICE cars think the solution to EV charging looks like Gas Stations. They don't realize that the equivalent of the ICE Gas station is the charging station in an EV owner's garage/parking stall.

In my home state of MN, the new D governor says he wants to increase the EV surcharge paid at annual registration so he can fund more public charging stations. It's again this mindset that we need to install slow L2 charging stations everywhere, which makes no sense for city use (We already have that driving range covered). If you want to help EV owners, add incentives for them to install their own chargers, or how about just not increasing taxes on EV ownership.

Marcine Joseph on Twitter

Tesla bursts into flames after hitting a tree at high speed. A gas car would never burst in flames in this situation. Nope never nope nope
Let the fudz begin

Wow reading the twitter thread it's the typical dumpster of TSLAQ hate. It's hard to tell sometimes who has the larger troll army, the Chinese 50c army, the Russian Internet Research Agency or the various groups of TSLAQ fudsters.

I think the real problem is that Tesla does have a few growing pains and quality issues. Look I love my Roadster and the Model 3. Combined I have 68,000 miles. BUT I have had more issues and service calls (5) than for any other car. Tesla did a great job serving and I am pleased but our Volt has been more reliable. Most cars today gave great quality Tesla is only good at the moment. Not surprising as they are pushing so many boundaries at once.
Your Roadster 1 was Tesla's first shot at a product, and yours must have been a very early 3, no? And therefore not representative of the ones produced later in production hell, nor of the improved ones shipping today...

Wow, you can hardly see the Murai for the crowds of people round it... :rolleyes:
Here's a way for a Moderator to get around the "Don't fix typos or grammatical errors" dictum, and still make everyone's Sunday night.

In Japanese -
  • "Mirai" translates as "Future", but.....
  • "Murai" translates as "Never"

Thought y'all would like that. Am not sure Toyota would.:)

Although there aren't that many still in use, it's true that there are still some steam ships out there. There probably isn't much difference with regards to their emissions, however, as both typically operate on HFO and large steam turbines are actually relatively efficient.

Weekend OT... it's lake, not ocean going, but I was on this coal fired steamship that was launched the same year as the Titanic and is still ferrying cargo and people around a lake in NZ. Walked through the engine room and watched them shoveling coal into the firebox. Certainly not the cleanest, but epic from a historical perspective. From Wikipedia, the TSS Earnslaw is "the only remaining commercial passenger-carrying coal-fired steamship in the southern hemisphere."

Attachments

• P1010749~2.JPG
    P1010749~2.JPG
    353.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
This type of low speed diesel is pretty typical for many ocean going vessels. They are directly coupled to the main propeller shaft, and it's true that they can be operated in reverse.

Although there aren't that many still in use, it's true that there are still some steam ships out there. There probably isn't much difference with regards to their emissions, however, as both typically operate on HFO and large steam turbines are actually relatively efficient.
OT anecdote (but it's still the weekend):
Back "wen ah were yung" (Welsh accent please) and raced motorcycles, the hot machine was a Yamaha TZ series (I think 125, 250, 350), one of our club members had a TZ250. Racing only bike, dry clutch, insanely light and powerful, two stroke. And yes, it would run (badly) in reverse. Most races required push starts back then (I have no idea any more since I stopped racing about 1986), and one time as he started his bike it basically backfired and started in reverse. By then he'd jumped on it and dropped the clutch... much mayhem ensued.

Good news that 01 March is no longer the cliff-edge date for sales to China but I see no new tariff deadline has yet been announced. What's the best strategy for the next X weeks? I'm hoping Tesla load as many cars into China as they humanly can while the tariff ceasefire persists, even if it takes several months for the sales and logistics network to digest those into deliveries. Essentially push the US queue out by a couple of months and take the hit to Q1 bottom line, for the greater good of Q2/3. If Giga 3 hits the aggressive end of the construction schedule then Q4 we'll start to see local production and sales of the SR, making the tariff climate less relevant.

There's nothing that says the China talks will definitely end positively and the European economy is looking dicey, even without there being new US tariffs. China, notwithstanding the continued trickle of bond defaults, has some macro upside in 2019 in my view. January was the first month since the slowdown started 18-24 months ago that has seen any serious effort by the government to throw credit at the problem. This was evident in a spike new bank lending, no further reduction in shadow banking lending and relatively good growth in new bond issuances. Seems clear that the government has decided that for now the slowdown has run far enough and does not want the end game of these negotiations conducted against a weak macro picture. Tesla should make hay while they can.

For every Tesla. It's always been there (at least it's always been their for my built in Feb 2013 S85), I don't know if it's in the Signature Teslas first hand, but I would assume it would be). Probably not in the Roadster, but there are other ways to capture the Roadster logs.
It is in the signatures. It's just software.

(Yet another example of how, with Tesla, you wake up to a new, better, car every so often.)

Reactions: jerry33