Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you really, really sure you're dead right? Here's what the CEO of CATL said when pressed about the battery deal with Tesla during their End-of-Quarter Conference Call: (I do have the link handy)

CATL 2019 Earnings Call (May, 2020)

Q6: In July, will you supply Tesla with ternary batteries or LFP, or did you develop some new technology that you will supply to Tesla?

CATL CEO: We have been communicating with Tesla technical team for quite a while now. Supply should start in H2. We have the most advanced products in ternary and LFP aspect. Supply is not limited to either LFP or ternary. What will be supplied will depend on market demand.​

That's not a confirmation from CATL that they will supply LFP prismatic cells to GF3/Tesla. But I notice you've shyed away from actually saying 'their CEO said LFP' in your latest comment. Is that deliberate? Because the major premise of your argument is that LFP cells from CATL are a done deal, with 100% certainty.

A lot of these LFP rumors are reinforced with uncritical articles like this one from Tesmanian a few days ago:

Tesla Seeks China Gov Approval To Build Model 3 With Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries (LFP)

See what's missing? No link to the "Chinese Government document" the article claims to be describing. "But trust us, we're Media!". Zero questions answered. Then there's Gali-tube and some strategic minerals guy. Zero Cred.

Tesmanian did publish a more balanced article on Feb 21, 2020:

Tesla Battery Day May Introduce Next-Gen Cobalt Free Non-LFP Cell Hints China

"One person asked if Tesla China would be using CATL's zero cobalt LFP cells in Giga Shanghai, like the ones used by BYD.

"Tesla’s official account replied politely to the inquiry, thanking the person for the question, before dropping a surprising answer. 'Thanks for the question. All we can say right now, please stay tuned for the Battery Day in April, cobalt free, not only for LFP' Tesla China's social media handle wrote.

"Many have speculated and made theories about Tesla’s strategy for its China-made Model 3 SR+ based on the assumption that the EV automaker was planning to use CATL’s prismatic LFP cells. However these speculations might have been wrong, if Tesla China's recent social media response is accurate."
Here's a screenshot of the social media post: (prev. posted by Artful Dodger, Feb 23, 2020: #142138) Image Source: Tesmainan blog Feb 21, 2020 (as linked above)

Telsa China posted "Cobalt Free Battery, But NOT LFP" "Coming Soon, Battery Day in April" in a social media post back in Feb, also discussed on TMC.

View attachment 545231

I suggest you re-evaluate your methods. I think you've reached a premature conclusion, which leaves you vulnerable to acting on a false assumption. Evidence is best direct from a 1st party and verifiable, otherwise the case is not made. Neither 1st party in this case, Tesla nor CATL, have provided such evidence. At the very least, you'll need to explain the above contradictory social media post.

In this case, there are too many unanswered questions with too much conflicting evidence for LFP to be a certainty (there's bty technicals I won't go into). The most honest answer right now is "we don't know".

Have a good day.
I find it contraproductive to engage with you until you admit that you claiming that I said that I said Tesla wanted to use low qualtiy batteries. You sarcastically attacked me for a statement I did not make. Incidentally your current post has similar problems. Again honest discussions are helpful, but this does not go anywhere. What is the goal? To learn and develop or to prove to be superior to others? If your game is the latter good luck finding partners for it.

Yeah, sorry I don't read Chinese. Those are weight specs, and you've used inference to conclude LFP? No direct statement about bty chemisty in that graphic? Source?

What about the Tesla China social media post saying Cobalt Free, but not LFP?

View attachment 545256
The red circled part stats battery storage type : LFP

Battery day is not about LFP cell. Tesla doesn't do LFP

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry I don't read Chinese. Those are weight specs, and you've used inference to conclude LFP? No direct statement about bty chemisty in that graphic? Source?

What about the Tesla China social media post saying Cobalt Free, but not LFP?
Two different cobalt free chemistries, one LFP, (which has always been cobalt free), and one N-something-something. If the cobalt free battery in the Model 3 is not LFP then it's not much of an advancement if the pack ends up being heavier, and would be quite a disappointment. It's possible but I sure hope not. The obvious and simplest answer, which evidence points towards, is LFP in the SR Chinese Model 3.

Reactions: RobStark
Elon's getting some great screen time and quotes.

TSLA quotes are getting better as the day progresses too :D

Yep, this is good for people's perception of him. Especially when wearing his heart on his sleeve, talking about how seriously he took the responsibility of keeping the astronauts safe.