Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have to agree with others here that in this case when you figure power-train comparison you have to consider the Toyota and all the fuel cost that go into it for the 12,000 yearly average driver. Yes costs do change per region. Even the non-EV owner people/friends I talk to absolutely agree that is how to do it based on local gas and electricity prices. People are not as stupid as many think. They know in many areas EVs are cheaper to run and they will be saving monthly on fuel costs so they can add that onto the monthly car payment (people are doing 5 year loans now!). That is about a $50-$100 more car payment depending on your electric costs per month. SO that's about $3000 to $6000 over 5 years in fuel savings. People do not pay cash for cars. It's about the monthly payment and that check to check spending. I have never talked to any real buyer who cared much about HP or 0-60 when buying a Toyota... not in the slightest. It is ALWAYS "What's the bottom line per month?".

This is actually a bigger issue even tho many here do not believe it. ALL of my close friends that have been riding with me and even vacationed with me still do not understand fueling my Tesla even tho they are sort of along for the ride. One even bought a Model 3. Even tho they can charge at home they still charge at the super charger when not needed. They feel when they get home from work if the charge is under XX amount there is a fear they will have an emergency and need to drive further than they have so they stop at the supercharger to "fill up".... even tho they have never in their life been in that situation. I do think it might be more of a Midwest thing.

As a total separate hated subject. Maintenance and service is not really cheaper. While I am not buying oil, belts and brakes, I am buying much more expensive things less often. Expected for having a luxury car but it still cancels the saving. MCU's, door handles and that stuff adds up very quick. SO when comparing to a Toyota (my wife's is 20 years old now and still very cheap on that end) Tesla's are very expensive on the up keep. Technically tho Tesla has not put out the car to compete with a Camry yet. One local here is already looking at replacing his first Model 3 MCU. Luckily it is under warranty. I am looking at my second already. Having to reboot every 5 days.
I strongly disagree with your post when comparing the cost of ICE maintenance and repairs with Tesla maintenance and repairs. In my experience, my two ICE vehicles were costing me a fortune in repairs. Replacing the catalytic converter on my Lexus cost over $2000. The list is very long of all the parts I've replaced on my Lexus and my BMW. Some of the parts I've replaced: thermostat, water pump, expansion tank, radiator (you BMW owners know all about these at ~60K miles - right?) fuel pump, ignition coil(s), battery, valve cover gasket, catalytic converter, oil/filter and spark plug changes.

Does your wife's 20 year old car leak oil on to the garage/driveway? Both of my ICE cars leaked oil, constantly. When visiting family/friends, I had to park my car on the street, so as not to leave oil stains on their driveway. My garage will need to be professionally cleaned to remove the oil stains. Have you ever priced the cost to replace all the gaskets on an ICE vehicle to fix the oil leaks?

I will never buy another ICE vehicle for myself or my family again. You could not pay me to drive an ICE vehicle again. I have two Teslas (Cybertruck on order) and they are absolutely fantastic. Scheduling service with the Tesla app and Tesla service was great when I got my HW3 upgrades. I haven't been to a gas station in nearly 2 years. Charging my Teslas is a breeze. Love my Teslas!

Last edited:
I liked the discussion of price parity. Here's what I would add.

For moderate priced cars, a $5000 reduction in purchase price roughly doubles the demand for the vehicle. So back when a full range battery might cost, say, $20k, a 25% reduction in the EV drive train could unlock twice the demand. When the EV drivetrain was about $10k, a 50% reduction could unlock a doubling of demand. Meanwhile the ICE drivetrain is around $5k plus or minus a few thousand. As EV drivetrains get down close to the same range of $5k, then further reductions in the cost of the drivetrain make very little difference in the addressable market. Rather the cost of everything else and the performance and features of the vehicle drive marketability. So I see parity as the cost pont for the EV drivetrain below which that cost is no longer a barrier to demand creation. At parity, the full automotive market is addressable by EVs.

Tesla is quite close to that point, but it is beneficial to make vehicles that command premium pricing, as a generous gross margin is key the cash flow needed to expand rapidly.

OT: I have a reservation for the Tri-motor Cybertruck, and my TSLA investment has it covered. Problem is, things have gone so well I'm looking at building a lake house now, and that isn't quite covered. Anyway, it might be that the dual motor makes more sense for me. Does anybody know if Tesla will allow me to downgrade to the dual-motor and keep my place in line and the FSD price? With the FSD price increasing in July, I was wondering if it would be smart to just reserve a dual motor with FSD (in addition to my tri-motor reservation) and later just cancel one or the other.

Thanks!

Hmmmm, just wait until end July, boom, #CTandHouseSecured

Oh, she’s so naughty!

https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1271760121929089024?s=21

upload_2020-6-13_18-25-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-13_18-25-6.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-13_18-25-6.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 64
The accountant is projecting GAAP loss of 80 cents/share - meaning no S&P just yet.

More positively, Q4 profit would equate to forward p/e of 50.

Near-future quarterly financial projections

Those estimates at 85k deliveries are close enough for Tesla to pull some surprises to get to profitable. One major thing being how much revenue it choses to recognize from FSD.

Also, the estimate of 8k of Model Y I think is low. I'm thinking Model Y deliveries will be in the 10-12k range with a possibility up to 13-14k.

Last edited:
Price Parity is when most of the public gets it, and most of the industry realises the public gets it.

To move the goal posts they need to keep dropping the price of ICE, not easy to do.
Their strategy was and will still be planned obsolescence, which is why they can afford losing money on new car sales, and make bulk of their profits from parts and services.
Sometimes they push too hard and customers would push back.
Most of the time they get away with it, by convincing customers leasing a new car every three years is acceptable.

Once people see how long a Model 3 will stay fresh as new, they will wake up, we are not far from that.

This estimate is actually from @Todesbuckler . @The Accountant did say that his estimate is pretty close and that he will post his later.

Also I genuinely believe that Tesla lowered the 3, S, and X prices not because there was not enough demand based on a "limited production ramp from Fremont being closed" but because they quickly got Fremont back up to full production. So while I wouldn't bet on it, I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that we see production in the area of 95-100k with 92-95k deliveries. Maybe even in the 97-98k range if Model Y ramped well.

I wouldn't be making any short term bets on this hunch thought haha.

Youtube users The Wolfpack Berlin has a new video from Giga Berlin:

It's interesting seeing the difference in construction speed between Gigas Shanghai and Berlin. Berlin looks like it is being build so much slower than Shanghai. The Chinese just threw so many resources at production. It's like Berlin is being build in series and Shanghai in parallel.

An uninformed Care Bear appears on forum probably means there are new shorts in the game(understandably someone think it’s a good idea when we are at a new ATH).

Over the past 12 months I learned to appreciate what they do, so I want to say thank you to them(And to the money they are going to lose in the years to come).

Sharing is caring.