Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Path to S&P Inclusion ....NOW:
@Fact Checking - your comment above was related to the potential that Tesla's Call options gains could bring sufficient GAAP profits in Q4 to ensure S&P inclusion with the Q4 filing. In a separate post I commented that the gains would not likely be counted as income.
However:
There is an obscure item on Tesla's Balance Sheet that could bring huge upside to Q4....enough to achieve full year 2019 GAAP Profits and inclusion into the S&P. I have hesitated to bring this up in the past because it could easily be a big Nothing Burger and also because it is a very technical tax accounting issue. But since this is the weekend and your post touched on early S&P inclusion, I thought I would share it.

TL;DR: Tesla has deferred the recognition of $1.8B in tax benefits on the P&L because they could not conclude it was likely that they would have income in the future to take advantage of these benefits. Once profitability is likely (and supported by the auditors), this $1.8B (or a portion thereof) gets recognized immediately to GAAP profits. If Tesla concludes now that profitability is likely in 2020 and thereafter, $1.8B (or a portion) gets included in Q4 profits.

The Long Version
When a company incurs a loss, they record a tax benefit because they can reduce taxes in the future by offsetting future tax income with these tax losses. It's called a "Net Operating Loss Carryforward" (a Tax Asset).
So you would typically see a P&L as such:

$(100,000) - Pretax Income (Loss)
$ 30,000 - Tax Benefit (Expense)
$ (70,000) - Net Income (Loss)

However, the accounting rules state that you can only record this benefit if "it is more likely than not" that you will be able to use this benefit (tax asset) in the future.
Tesla has not recognized any of these benefits over the past 15 years because they could not confidently conclude and support to the auditors that profitably in the future was "more likely than not".
Here is Tesla's wording from the 2018 10K:
As of December 31, 2018, we recorded a valuation allowance of $1.81 billion for the portion of the deferred tax asset that we do not expect to be realized.....Management believes that based on the available information, it is more likely than not that the U.S. deferred tax assets will not be realized, such that a full valuation allowance is required against all U.S. deferred tax assets.

You can see this deferred benefit (valuation allowance) on their deferred tax asset schedule from the 2018 10K below:
View attachment 501942

Tesla's position on this tax accounting is correct.

Here is the important point: As soon as Tesla can support to the auditors, that "it is more likely than not", that profitability will be achieved in 2020 and beyond, this tax benefit comes back to earnings immediately. If not all of the $1.8B a substantial amount would.

Points Against Recognition in Q4
  • Since Tesla has never had a full year profit in its history, they and their auditors may take a conservative approach and deem future profits unlikely.
  • Despite 2 profitable Qtrs in 2018, Telsa still concluded (as seen in the 2018 10K) that it was "more likely than not" they would not be able to recognize the tax benefits with future profits.
Points For Recognition in Q4
  • Tesla has been profitable in 4 of the last 6 Qtrs
  • With Model 3 fully ramped, GF3 producing vehicles and Model Y entry assured for 2020, profitability is "more likely than not".
  • Elon will likely state during the Q4 earnings call that Tesla expects a full year profit in 2020. Telsa can't state this publicly while simultaneously stating in the 2019 10K that future profits cannot be assured for taking the tax benefits.
  • Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) needs to be applied consistently. You can't take the position: "profits are more likely than not but let's not take the earnings benefit just to be conservative". Profits are either "more likely than not" or they're "more unlikely than not". If it is the former, you take the benefit to earnings.
I'm not sure which way this will go. If the huge benefit is not taken in Q4 2019, it's certain we'll see it in 2020.
My brain tells me that they will take the huge benefit in Q4 2019 but my gut says they won't.

TeslaQ has been all over the Balance Sheet pushing questions on Warranty Reserves, Accounts Receivables, etc.......but they're not talking about this one.

Let's see how this plays out.

Im resurrecting @theaccountant ‘s post from January. Any chance the tax loss carryforward benefit gets recognized in Q2?

So how does the latest US delivery data (14515 across 24 states in April & May) affect forecasts and S&P inclusion?

Elon doesn't have many days to announce battery day part one in June. Latest obvious timetable is announce on Saturday (3 days from now) and hold call on 26th June AH.

Could these be related? Battery day furore could be undermined by perceived low P&D figures. Elon may prefer to build momentum following P&D. Alternatively, Elon could be waiting for another piece of the puzzle to close. Pana deal and UK power provider deals have closed. Elon could be waiting for UK Gigafactory deal or more likely the result of a Jeff Dahn lab test proving X Wh/kg? Elon could be telling Jeff that he won't announce battery day until he hits say 350 Wh/kg - 349 doesn't hit the round number target.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So how does the latest US delivery data (14515 across 24 states in April & May) affect forecasts and S&P inclusion?

Elon doesn't have many days to announce battery day part one in June. Latest obvious timetable is announce on Saturday (3 days from now) and hold call on 26th June AH.

Could these be related? Battery day furore could be undermined by perceived low P&D figures. Elon may prefer to build momentum following P&D. Alternatively, Elon could be waiting for another piece of the puzzle to close. Pana deal and UK power provider deals have closed. Elon could be waiting for UK Gigafactory deal or more likely the result of a Jeff Dahn lab test proving X Wh/kg? Elon could be telling Jeff that he won't announce battery day until he hits say 350 Wh/kg - 349 doesn't hit the round number target.

I’d wager Battery Day will be when Tesla is relatively the weakest (as per Autonomy Day). This could be after delivery/prod or earnings, with me favouring the latter. I’ll go with August.

What is your definition of a bolded perceived low p and d?

Battery Day and Autonomy Day are generally held when Tesla is ready,,,,

For example a signed deal with Panasonic was a desirable precursor for Battery Day.

HW3 in shipping cars, and a good demo, desirable precursors for Autonomy Day.

IMO new battery packs in vehicles or stationary storage that are available for order are also very desirable

I get a kick out of the concept of "trading shares". It is nothing more than a justification to succumb to one's gambling instinct and/or the belief that one can time his/her trades in and out of a good long-term investment and "gild the lily", so to speak. I.e., outsmart the market. Losers' game.
Have to agree. Also, the concept of ‘core’ shares is one that I struggle with. Every share I‘ve bought I want to keep, so they are all core.

Seems to me there are two approaches and I don’t believe people can do both well simultaneously:

* Figure out the big picture before others by taking the long view. This led me to buy with confidence an appreciable (for me) number of TSLA shares starting several years ago and to hold them without undo worry through the ups and downs.

- OR -

* Fly close in, down in the weeds and focus on short term movements and a somewhat disjoint set of considerations than those useful for the above approach.

Now, the big picture for Tesla is more clear and TSLA is getting wider recognition as a great stock to have in your portfolio. Now, it doesn’t take that much insight or that many cycles to see its long term value and to buy and hold more as you have the means. (Though we are overall still early days with Tesla and the energy transformation. )

As someone who takes the long view, I’m spending cycles looking at how the big picture will evolve: What are the knock on-effects of Tesla? Musk is pursuing a coordinated strategy interleaved through several companies and a multiplicity of technologies. What are the ramifications? Figure out a fraction of this and buy whatever early, you’ll do well I expect.

Burning cycles to trade short term doesn’t seem worth the opportunity cost to me. It is true that I am content with my long and only ever long TSLA position (though I’d be delighted to increase it of course :)) but I don’t think I would spend time gambling to try and increase it even if I weren’t.

Im resurrecting @theaccountant ‘s post from January. Any chance the tax loss carryforward benefit gets recognized in Q2?

I'm glad you brought this back up - i've been thinking about it also...if not q2 then certainly q3 I would think.

once they do recognize this - it essentially improves their cash position, right? if so this would be another source for funding expansion

In the case of Twitter it happened 2 quarters after TTM GAAP Profit and S&P 500 inclusion had been secured.

Tesla still hasn't secured either of these, so, although not impossible, I highly doubt this will happen in Q2. I'd currently put my money on Q4, but it's a bit of a guessing game. I wonder how @The Accountant feels about this.

For anyone wondering what we're talking about here, there's a $1.95B valuation allowance on Tesla's balance sheet, which will at some point in the not too distant future provide a big boost to financials. I wrote a blog post about this in January explaining how this all works:

Tesla's $1.8B Valuation Allowance

@TexasGator It would do nothing to Tesla's cash position. There's more details in the blog post, but it's kind of like Tesla will suddenly be given almost $2B in tax credits, which it can use over the next decade or so.

Last edited:
Next week is shaping up to be interesting. Somebodies are expecting news by next Friday. Some pretty high CALL strike prices out there.

View attachment 552942
Could it just be that we’ll be past the triple-witching this Friday so the incentive to resist the underlying upward pressure is less?

Elaborate Prank by Tesla Staff = Model 3 100 kWh battery?

Now that I have thought of it, this would be stellar....
Elon didn't deny it in the long term - just said nothing in development yet. They would most likely use the M3 as a test mule. We know that the Roadster has a 200 kWh battery - two 100s stacked. They are too tall to fit an S or X.

I think Elon is playing it perfectly. Sorting out Panasonic deal for the 3 and Y. This allows for an easy ramp (low risk) of a Tesla built cell for Roadster, Semi and Cybertruck only. These 3 vehicles need the new cell. Roadster to hit performance. Semi to hit lifetime and Cybertruck to hit the incredible $40k starting price.

Panasonic have been forced into a deal to stay in the game hoping it will stop Tesla ramping up their own cells. The reality is that it will take Tesla 5-10 years to move away from 18650s and 2070s. They will upgrade M3 (100 kWh), Y(100 kWh), S(130 kWh) and X(130 kWh) to Maxwell 4070s in 3-5 years is my guess. I am guessing that the Plaid will lead the way on 18650 and 2070 incremental chemistry improvements this year. 10% Wh/kg improvement from Pana built cells with no Maxwell involvement. Could Plaid S/X be unveiled at battery day? And be causing a delay perhaps.

The latest Ars Technica hit piece has hit the web, written by Jonathan "Dr. Moreau" Gitlin himself. They haven't had Gitlin on a Tesla piece for Ars awhile now, saving him for the big hits I guess. This is apparently a Fred Lambert collab too, I'm sure Fred is proud of what he has become these days.

Tesla reportedly shipping Model Ys with significant manufacturing defects

I would warn the media that this is why everyone hates the media and Donald Trump is President but the media doesn't care. They are all owned by the same corporations who benefit no matter who is President anyways.

Elon didn't deny it in the long term - just said nothing in development yet. They would most likely use the M3 as a test mule. We know that the Roadster has a 200 kWh battery - two 100s stacked. They are too tall to fit an S or X.

I think Elon is playing it perfectly. Sorting out Panasonic deal for the 3 and Y. This allows for an easy ramp (low risk) of a Tesla built cell for Roadster, Semi and Cybertruck only. These 3 vehicles need the new cell. Roadster to hit performance. Semi to hit lifetime and Cybertruck to hit the incredible $40k starting price.

Panasonic have been forced into a deal to stay in the game hoping it will stop Tesla ramping up their own cells. The reality is that it will take Tesla 5-10 years to move away from 18650s and 2070s. They will upgrade M3 (100 kWh), Y(100 kWh), S(130 kWh) and X(130 kWh) to Maxwell 4070s in 3-5 years is my guess. I am guessing that the Plaid will lead the way on 18650 and 2070 incremental chemistry improvements this year. 10% Wh/kg improvement from Pana built cells with no Maxwell involvement. Could Plaid S/X be unveiled at battery day? And be causing a delay perhaps.

I'm in the camp that expects lots interesting news from Battery Day....

If there was a prank, I was well and truly pranked..

I actually don't think there was a prank, just that a prank would be amusing..

My guess is the deal is one Tesla an Pana can both live with, both are happy, long term they may drift apart.

I originally though Plaid Model S/X was in the mix, then Elon tweeted Plaid drive was being simplified.

In the long run Plaid Drive may be cheaper and easier to make, but will the new version be ready for Battery Day?

I speculated earlier based on a couple of sources I thought were solid, turns out they were not as solid as I thought..

@Papafox Quick question.

You often stated that you've made enough money on TSLA that it's not worth it for you to wake up early on Monday morning to make a quick buck off the stock. You could buy Friday and sell on Monday for a quick short play. You obviously know this. Why don't you do this instead?

That's one of the easiest patterns to bet on and I might do it one of these weeks. I would probably avoid over-the-weekend short-term trades during weeks with potentially negative COVID 19 news. Sometimes, Mondays don't always go up, however, and so I would want to be awake at opening to monitor. Rather than betting with options, I have often in the past traded 100 shares to avoid paying for lost time value. Now a days, 100 shares is worth nearly $100,000, so it's hard to do short-term trades with that much on the table and sleep comfortably while the market is open. I have hugely greater risk tolerance for long-term TSLA investments, however.

What I sometimes do instead of short term bets is try for a free extension of my option's expiration date. I do this in an IRA so there's no tax consequences. If I expect (or see) upward movement, I may buy the same strike call option but at a later expiration date. When the call with the earlier expiration date climbs to reach the value of the purchased call, I sell the original call for what I paid for the newer call and I enjoy more time. I believe with Tesla I could maneuver through call options that never expire if I worked hard enough.

Ultimately, I like to have a certain amount of cash in my IRA so that I can sleep well at nights. I found a number that I'm happy with (could live on the cash for a few years or buy lots of new in the money call options if the price ever did something silly on the down side). I don't sleep as well when I go too deep into my safety cash and believe me, I really do need my beauty sleep.

Last edited:
Wow, he’s coming unhinged. Imagine if someone from Tesla reacted that way every time the truth about Tesla was twisted in the press... o_O

I don't know, aside any discussion on Nikola's actual capability, I wish that Tesla would go after a few of the more high-profile FUDsters - a dive down some of those rabbit-holes could be very interesting indeed.

That being said, looks like (Stan Morgan and Ollie Sachs "downgrades" aside), FUD has little or no effect on $TSLA these days.

I'm also not entirely surprised to see the usual suspects (Montana Skeptic for those on the block list), cheering Milton on in those replies: https://twitter.com/montana_skeptic/status/1273388162039963648?s=19

upload_2020-6-18_9-21-51.png

Elon could be telling Jeff that he won't announce battery day until he hits say 350 Wh/kg - 349 doesn't hit the round number target.
Lol, pack energy density is Tesla Battery engineering group's responsibility. They'll take specs from Jeff Dahn's group, who are working on bty chemistry with a focus on:
  • cycle life
  • materials cost
  • elimination of conflict minerals
  • electrode powder preparations
Even the flammability studies are done elsewhere. There's a lot more engineering that goes into a bty pack than is under research at Dalhousie.

Cheers!

Could Plaid S/X be unveiled at battery day? And be causing a delay perhaps.
The 50-day shutdown is the biggest part of the delay, and there's likely a desire to have the 'Terafactory' agreement in place for Battery Day, since Elon said it's both 'show and tell' and will provide a roadmap to over 1 TWh/yr of battery production. That'll take a TEXAS-sized effort.

Cheers!

EDIT: Pre-market High: $1,003.99 (04:41:56 AM)

Last edited: