Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not at all surprised by the results, just disappointed in my lack of discipline and venture back into Options. The expiry is Sept, so I do have time, but the strikes are high at $2000. I avoided the lotto tickets ages ago, but still haven't learned my lesson, it would seem. Selling calls is something I've tried, and actually did a few weeks ago, but it was right before the $1794 day, and I got nervous and bailed on the way down.

I consider all of this tuition and a reminder of the strategy I need to be sticking with, which is Buy n' Hold, as several on here have mentioned is truly the lowest stress, most likely way to succeed long term. I'll hang on for a while as this is only one day, but I'm prepared to walk away from the loss, and this is all house money in tax-free account, so I'm really complaining about the quality of gravy at this point.

I think you're looking at the remaining ones standing today on TMC. Here's to the Buy and Hold group.
upload_2020-7-23_11-34-28.png

I could imagine the MM's launching a DOS attach as they know us retails rely on the site.

Of course I could just look on my broker site, but I'm worried I might catch a glimpse of my portfolio balance :eek:

Works for other stocks, but not $TSLA???

I got it to load except for open interest graph. Max pain was indicated at $1495.

1B7A2883-C166-46FE-8107-B379223BF2BA.jpeg

Who still buys the notion S&P 500 inclusion will cause a huge spike in share price?

It already has. Aren't we like 50% higher in the last month or so? A decent chunk of those gains are S&P speculation (I'm guilty myself).

I think there's more gainz ahead once the S&P announcement happens but could see a minor "sell the news" once the initial buying by index funds is over.

My guesses are that we pop to between $2K-$3k on the announcement and then settle somewhere between $1700 and $1900.

But honestly I don't really care. All I do is buy and hold shares (since 2013). Watching the day-to-day drama is like a soap opera I can't tear myself away from.

Despite today's action, this year has been fantastic. Even if there's no additional spike from here, the fundamentals look super. Congrats to all the longs!

Wall Street needs to restrain the TSLA share price until the S&P 500 related index funds are able to purchase sufficient shares. That may not be easy, but they can try. :rolleyes:

I should emphasize that it is not just Wall Street playing nice for friends running S&P 500 related index funds. The S&P 500 committee may not want to add Tesla unless the price is more attractive and shares are more widely available for the index funds. They may ask Tesla to sell new shares in a subsequent offering to ease the ability of those funds to buy Tesla shares. Wall Street investment banks would serve as the intermediaries in such an offering. Lower prices would make the offering more likely, and easier for the banks to sell not only to those funds, but also to other interested parties.

They may have already pushed Tesla down today as far as they can afford or dare. Of course sinking macros have been helping them. Meanwhile, I'm happily holding my shares. Due in part to tax considerations, I prefer not to do any more selling of my holdings this year. I'll likely wait for the Tesla share price to hit some of Cathie Wood's more advanced targets. :cool:

Much simpler explanation. Tesla doesn't sell enough cars in europe to offset ALL of FCA's penalties. Their deal was simply to offset as much of it as possible, with FCA paying the penalties for the balance. So the amount of regulatory credit that Tesla earns is just how many cars they can sell per quarter. Tesla made a prediction of how many they could sell, and FCA agreed to pay a fixed euro amount per credit for them. Will need to compare the Q1 and Q2 10-Q's to confirm this.
Sure, but it’s hard to believe Tesla sold more cars in the EU in Q2 than in Q1, but maybe they did.

"He makes us look like LILLA - PUTIANS!", spoken in his best imitation of A falsetto John Wayne

Nice observation. Interestingly, John Wayne himself was something of an imitation. Early in Wayne's acting career, an older gentleman who lived near Hollywood would visit the movie sets of westerns. The producers and directors didn't mind, since the visitor was well known and could serve as an unpaid technical advisor. Wayne noticed the attention given by his bosses to the visitor, and chose do emulate the voice and body movements of the visitor. It catapulted Wayne's career.

Wyatt Earp

Last edited:
I was hoping for $2,000 or so leading to battery day. Interesting times, but we've all been here before. Takes time for the market to absorb + macros.

Tesla was a bit cautious on outlook for deliveries, but I believe a large part of this is what's happening in the US w COVID-19 which is affecting macros significantly.

For what it's worth, Elon clarified guidance on the earnings call -- was supply chain related, not demand related. I also think the guidance was typical of Tesla's new style - underpromise and overdeliver.

I should emphasize that it is not just Wall Street playing nice for friends running S&P 500 related index funds. The S&P 500 committee may not want to add Tesla unless the price is more attractive and shares are more widely available for the index funds. They may ask Tesla to sell new shares in a subsequent offering to ease the ability of those funds to buy Tesla shares. Wall Street investment banks would serve as the intermediaries in such an offering. Lower prices would make the offering more likely, and easier for the banks to sell not only to those funds, but also to other interested parties.

They may have already pushed Tesla down today as far as they can afford or dare. Of course sinking macros have been helping them. Meanwhile, I'm happily holding my shares. Due in part to tax considerations, I prefer not to do any more selling of my holdings this year. I'll likely wait for the Tesla share price to hit some of Cathie Wood's more advanced targets. :cool:

How about a nice, worthless (sort of), stock dividend?

More shares, lower price per share and existing shareholders are not diluted.

May also mess with the shorts?

Last edited:
Some of these use cases make sense, like airport shuttle (gogo boring company), or for a large group road trip maybe. But others, like school commute bus, why do you need a high capacity passenger vehicle for that? The reason people take the bus is because it's cheap. If taxis cost the same as a bus ticket, everyone would take a taxi.

The theory is that robotaxis will be so cheap that people will no longer be interested in taking the bus, especially when factoring in the door-to-door convenience of your own taxi.

Another reason for mass transport is that it makes cities less crowded by cars, leaving more space.

Reactions: Ipe