Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.20.03 PM.jpg

I tend to highly doubt other automakers will take him up on the offer. Your brand becomes what? styling/design?

No one has signed up licensing use of the superchargers which he has offered in the past. This to me is more obvious and would greatly benefit some manufacturers competitiveness in the EV space.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.20.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.20.03 PM.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 35
There once was a smart car with Tesla power train, Mercedes killed it.

While researching this, I just learned that Tesla also helped Toyota with the drive train on the short lived RAV4 EV back in 2013.

Really makes you wonder what the automotive world would look like now if Mercedes and Toyota hadn't pulled the rug out from underneath those vehicles.

how many here are spaceX investors as well as Tesla? (unfortunately i am not)

curious....
if one was lucky enough to get a crack at it, to what ratio would you reduce your overall TSLA position within your portfolio to attain SpaceX?

on a level of 1 to 3,
1 being, skip it and wish you had the money to put in spacex, prob kick yourself in the ass down the road, for not doing it

2 being, do whatever you have to do to try and maneuver your way into spacex

3 being sell the family and scorch everything on earth for spacex shares at any valuation and any fees

what would you do?
I did it. 2.5.

Reactions: Boomer19
I tend to highly doubt other automakers will take him up on the offer. Your brand becomes what? styling/design?

That's what car brands basically are now. No one knows or cares where the engine and powertrain come from. They just care about the specs, how it looks, and the reputation of the brand.

No one has signed up licensing use of the superchargers which he has offered in the past. This to me is more obvious and would greatly benefit some manufacturers competitiveness in the EV space.

True, but that was then and this is now. It might be worth a try.

You've all seen a list like this one, right?
  1. denial
  2. anger
  3. bargaining
  4. depression
  5. acceptance
Today I'd say most German automakers are still in stage #2, anger — even though some are still in denial. But in time they should be ready to move on to the next stage: bargaining. That could include licensing technologies from Tesla.

I see a lot of similarities between EVs and how the personal computer market came about. Most of the established main frame companies disappeared while new companies like Apple and Microsoft became household names.

When it comes to building EVs, companies will have to decide whether to build or buy, and as VW is finding out, it is neither trivial nor cheap to build from the ground up. Just like the personal computer companies decided to license rather than create their own OS and build hardware from scratch.

View attachment 570099

Brilliant. The key takeaway is not that Tesla is willing to license the technology but rather that he feels confident about supplying batteries to other manufacturers. The plot thickens for Battery day.

View attachment 570099

This is how the world can get "Teslas" with different interiors. This would appeal to the Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series drivers that want those types of interiors

Unfortunately there are no takers.

What would it take for VW to swallow it’s pride and use Tesla as a supplier.

Think: INTEL INSIDE

There once was a smart car with Tesla power train, Mercedes killed it.
Maybe now is different, as the other carmakers are in trouble and they know it.

I’ve been a long time lurker and guilty of never having signed up, let alone contributed anything of substance. That said, I greatly appreciate much of the banter that goes on in this thread on a daily basis. It’s has also subsidized much of my life over the past 6 to 8 years.

The Mercedes B class Electric Drive has been the ideal car for me for the past 8 years. At the time (2012), it had the fit and finish that far surpassed that of Tesla, but had the single greatest benefit of having a Tesla, the drive train.

This has been the ideal city car for me living in New Jersey and commuting to New York City. I have even managed to fit three children in it over the years.

Over the past few years, with the release of the 3 and Y, I have considered upgrading, but every time I have decided to take that money and invest it in the mission instead.

it makes me sad to see the legacy auto makers continuously turn down Tesla and decide they have a better pulse on what it is people want.

If my car had access to the super charger network I would honestly never considering upgrading as I simply love the fit and finish of Mercedes.

I understand that my use-case does not speak for everybody and if I had a justifiable use for an infotainment system, additional range, or self driving, I would go to a Tesla in a heartbeat.

I have a cybertruck on order as it is the first vehicle that addresses a number of unique use-cases and just flat out cool features that I have never seen, but clearly need :)

Thank you everyone for all that you contribute to this thread on a daily basis.

Here’s to $250, $500, $900, $1500 and beyond.

Aside from my modified home charger (20ft cable), I will be adding solar and Power Walls to my home in the coming months thanks to the recent price improvements.

View attachment 570099

Hah hahah As @nycandre said " ultimate smack down, polite and reasonable - in other words, why don't you guys just give up and become body stylists/ salesmen, let Tesla do the *real* auto part " https://twitter.com/nycandre/status/1288276600316928007

View attachment 570099

I would sure like to see some semi truck / commercial truck / heavy duty equipment manufacturers take Elon up on that offer. All of these are different enough markets that I think it's more similar to Tesla back in 2012, building up the service, support, parts, and charging networks, than it is today where new vehicles are launched and are cared for within the current infrastructure.

Use somebody else's infrastructure and help them electrify their diesel equipment - I'd really love to see that.

View attachment 570099

Other automakers might become increasingly desperate...

IMO EV adoption is a marathon with a sprint finish,, what EV volumes car makers can make over the next 2-3 years is more important than volumes over the next 5-10 years.. because surviving the next 5 years is the big challenge.

Tesla is impacting VW and Hyundai now.. in 2 years time Tesla will be having a much bigger impact plus VW and Hyundai will be having an impact.

Japanese car makers are the ones with most to gain by partnering Tesla, specifically Toyota and Subaru, they are years behind without a great strategy... Panasonic could be a partner... they could make cells which are turned into packs by Tesla in Japan.

Or Japanese car makers could simply use Tesla motors and software..

What they can gain is survival during a difficult transition and time to build their own program.. assuming they mostly don't have a good plan and well developed EV components.

And the big plus is these brands could use Supercharging.... and support CCS 2.