Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Urteil nach Tesla-Unfall: Gericht verbietet Touchscreen-Bedienung

The problem with this court ruling is that we Tesla drivers face fines (€200 in this case) for using the touch screen while driving. It is mot Tesla being fined, but any Tesla driver can be fined if he is caught using the touch screen while driving.

As the article states, this is not a problem limited to Tesla. VW has the volume control for the radio on a slider and BMW has other functions on touch, which are not allowed to use while driving,

If this is the final word of the judges (as it seems it is) the auto interface designs must be rethought. Tesla is the only one who could solve this with an OTA update. The levers needed are in place (turn stalk, gear shifter and the very versatile wheels in the steering wheel.

I for one will be much more careful when using the touch screen while driving. Not that I won‘t do it, but I don‘t want to get caught. Oops: this is a public forum: I will probably never again use the touch screen while driving.

I see some on here thinking more of a pullback next week and through this month while some thinking more of a upswing to 1500$ or more. I need 83 more shares to reach my goal. I’m wondering if maybe we see it going back to my cost basis of 1050$ at some point this month or next, or if I should just buy Monday assuming it never gets that low again. Hmmmm....it’s just something I’m not sure anyone can predict. Any thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: elasalle
Only, this is not accurate. You can configure a car, place an order for a car, and plunk down money for the reservation fee, sure, maybe in 2 minutes.

Then Tesla’s website has a whole set of forms you go through, especially if you’re trading in a car. Then you run into a situation where you have a question. So you email or call the Tesla rep. Assuming you don’t get an immediate reply, you wait. Then you wait some more. Then there’s delivery. Inevitable new questions arise. From either party. On it goes.

I just traded in an old S for a new S and I must have spent 10 total hours over the course of a week in email or on the phone getting the transaction done. Since delivery I’ve already had one service visit requiring a follow-up with warranty replacement parts. Love the car, but there’s always a surprise.

Elon lives in a perfect world.
I might have spent two hours for the whole purchase process including the trade-in part S->X. Most of which was taking the pictures they asked for (showing the hail damage, which was minor but extensive and didn't show up particularly well in the pictures). If not for the extra pictures, it would have been less than an hour. I never had any issues reaching the advisor either. Hands-off delivery was simple too, though I can see how a new non-technical owner would find it a bit lacking. Still, safety first is a good practice.

The problem with this court ruling is that we Tesla drivers face fines (€200 in this case) for using the touch screen while driving. It is mot Tesla being fined, but any Tesla driver can be fined if he is caught using the touch screen while driving.

As the article states, this is not a problem limited to Tesla. VW has the volume control for the radio on a slider and BMW has other functions on touch, which are not allowed to use while driving,

If this is the final word of the judges (as it seems it is) the auto interface designs must be rethought. Tesla is the only one who could solve this with an OTA update. The levers needed are in place (turn stalk, gear shifter and the very versatile wheels in the steering wheel.

I for one will be much more careful when using the touch screen while driving. Not that I won‘t do it, but I don‘t want to get caught. Oops: this is a public forum: I will probably never again use the touch screen while driving.

Voice commands are available via the right scroll wheel to do any touch screen commands that would be needed while driving. It will set the temperature and play any music you would like...

List anything else and it should show up as an over the air update (if not there already).

The government has already approved and homologated the cars that are on the road. Even if they change their mind for new model years, Tesla would probably just add another stalk on the steering column or button on the wheel for that market. It would add $100 or less to the price of the car and life would go on. Before that happens Tesla would likely contest the ruling.

Easier to just assign the wiper speed to one of the steering button (when operational), all by a software update and available next week...

The drones are busy filming both in Germany and China!

Giga Berlin has two new videos from Grüneheide:

Jason Yang filmed at Giga Shanghai:

I think the music in the German videos tends to be better - it makes the construction feel like more of an event.

Also, pretty much the entirety of stage 1 has some level of work going on now - The Germans are getting a wriggle on.
upload_2020-8-1_13-7-1.png

That said, the Chinese videos tend to have a little more history built in.

Does anyone know what these things are on top of the Phase 2B building at GigaShanghai? just skylights or something else
upload_2020-8-1_13-12-12.png

Phase 1 is packed to the gills with parts - i'm quite excited to see delivery numbers.
upload_2020-8-1_13-15-11.png

I see some on here thinking more of a pullback next week and through this month while some thinking more of a upswing to 1500$ or more. I need 83 more shares to reach my goal. I’m wondering if maybe we see it going back to my cost basis of 1050$ at some point this month or next, or if I should just buy Monday assuming it never gets that low again. Hmmmm....it’s just something I’m not sure anyone can predict. Any thoughts?

SP tends to rise on Monday/Tuesday, then drop later in the week. Not always the case, but more often than not.

To my mind it's oversold for the moment, in any logical universe it should have risen to $1800 after the earnings call, but here we are.

Bear in mind that we could get an S&P communication and or secondary (sorry Curt) next week and that could move it back up into the $1600's.

Or not.

I tend to agree. I don't think Tesla is going to move much beyond $1400-$1800 for the next year personally. Some people would say just sell it and wait. But I believe in the future Tesla will go much higher. It will probably take a few years, but we never know. But someday, it will shoot up again. And I want to be holding during that time.

While FSD would make the stock fly, wall street still has not priced in Tesla energy nor the successful result of GF4 and GF5. Once both are online in late 2021, we will be nearing 2 million cars a year capacity. That is not priced in yet.

It's very difficult to know what the stock market will do in the short term. Yes there has been incredible price appreciation in the last half of the year, but (in addition to your GF4 and 5 comments) in that same time you can now watch videos of their Shanghai factory at least doubling in size and coming on line late this year. Not to mention the Fremont factory still spooling up new production lines driving growth right now. Just over the next 18 months production capacity looks like it will more than double - and for an automotive company that lives on operating leverage every incremental vehicle drives more profit than the last.

Then add in short term S&P demand hype and a potential step change in the cost of their primary cost driver (batteries) over the next two months, and FSD rewrite dropping some time this year and it's not hard to see the potential for more room to run.

Tesla, while large for an automaker, is small compared to the other tech giants. Apple grew by 0.65 Tesla's just yesterday. Amazon has grown by around 3 Tesla's since March.

Voice commands are available via the right scroll wheel to do any touch screen commands that would be needed while driving. It will set the temperature and play any music you would like...

List anything else and it should show up as an over the air update (if not there already).
Voice command actually does everything. Control dome lights, adjust side mirrors, open glove box.. everything. They should ban buttons and fine cars without voice command.

General Motors and Ford Can Juice Profits by Shedding Models | Trucks.com

Morgan Stanley Research says 88% of GM-Ford model lines don't make any profit.

In dollar terms, the Detroit automaker’s (GM) top 5 revenue vehicles ( Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe and Equinox, the GMC Sierra and the Buick GL8 Chinese minivan) make about $5,300 per unit. The bottom 60 models, on a combined basis, lose $1,100 per unit. That grows to a loss of $3,600 for the bottom 30 vehicles.

Ford offered 47 vehicle models globally in 2019. The Dearborn, Mich., automaker’s top five models by revenue are the F-150 SuperCrew, the F-250/350 Super Duty, the Ranger, the Transit and the Focus. All but the Focus are trucks. Those vehicles account for 43 percent of Ford’s revenue and 101 percent of its automotive operating income.

Excluding the Focus, which Morgan Stanley says loses money, Ford’s top four products by revenue account for 120 percent of its global profit.

Trucks make Ford tick. Morgan Stanley estimated that the profit from all F-Series lines, Expedition, Transit, Ranger and Explorer makes up 160 percent of its global profit. That means those trucks are offsetting significant losses elsewhere.

How much depreciation, losses, forced retirements with compensation, pensions etc. will they need to take for all the idle factories and labor?

How much depreciation, losses, forced retirements with compensation, pensions etc. will they need to take for all the idle factories and labor?
And what would happen to their debt servicing ratios? A drop in revenues of that scale could theoretically trigger accelerated repayment requirements.

General Motors and Ford Can Juice Profits by Shedding Models | Trucks.com

Morgan Stanley Research says 88% of GM-Ford model lines don't make any profit.

In dollar terms, the Detroit automaker’s (GM) top 5 revenue vehicles ( Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe and Equinox, the GMC Sierra and the Buick GL8 Chinese minivan) make about $5,300 per unit. The bottom 60 models, on a combined basis, lose $1,100 per unit. That grows to a loss of $3,600 for the bottom 30 vehicles.

Ford offered 47 vehicle models globally in 2019. The Dearborn, Mich., automaker’s top five models by revenue are the F-150 SuperCrew, the F-250/350 Super Duty, the Ranger, the Transit and the Focus. All but the Focus are trucks. Those vehicles account for 43 percent of Ford’s revenue and 101 percent of its automotive operating income.

Excluding the Focus, which Morgan Stanley says loses money, Ford’s top four products by revenue account for 120 percent of its global profit.

Trucks make Ford tick. Morgan Stanley estimated that the profit from all F-Series lines, Expedition, Transit, Ranger and Explorer makes up 160 percent of its global profit. That means those trucks are offsetting significant losses elsewhere.

This strategy of chasing a downward spiral is the clearest sign of business failure. The end grows near.

Ummm, duh.

C32DF328-3016-4641-AD67-B58F907FD7DD.jpeg

It's the fault of car reviewers. Everyone complains about "getting used to the touch screen" and " I don't like how I even need the touch screen to open the glove box". Not one reviewer (including mkbhd) use and showcase the voice command which is imo the most futuristic feeling of the car.