Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This parcel appears to have been zoned and had environmental permission for open pit mining. This probably had the positive consequence that permission for leveling the place in preparation for a factory was streamlined. I have been surprised that we have not seen a lengthy environmental submission on the factory, which is subject to public comment and the whole works. I have been taught to fear NEPA reviews, so I wonder why this isn't a thing here.

The parcel is also contiguous, except for the area West of the toll road.

Exactly! This is another reason why Elon as CEO is worth all of his compensation package and then some. He knows Tesla isn't in the environmental remediation business but he also knows the business they ARE in can't wait two years to build a factory. So, what does he do? Reclaim an abandoned open pit mine and start building within weeks instead of years. And get the local environmentalists more fully on board. What? A new shady place to ride my bike? :)

Brilliant move! Elon knows how to get to the goal most quickly by taking the shortest and most certain path. And do some good in the process. :cool:

CEO of Generac has been talking about how the Covid crisis is increasing their sales, matching my own thesis. I actually just realized that they sell a battery backup system as well. Of course that's because I just saw an expensive ad on CNBS. Whenever things stabilize in the Economy people are going to be clamoring for more security from the broader world. (solar, battery, food supplies etc.)

Older article but I heard more recent comments supporting this.
https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...ees-interest-rise-forstand-by-generators.html

1400 can trigger a massive sell-off. We’ve been there before where it would just skip the 1300’s and go down to 1200 levels

Every other page on this thread is about SP $2000 soon, so everyone please just read those and ignore my reply. Won't be a popular answer and haters gonna hate, but i can't wait for $1200-1300. Dry powder arriving this week, so bring it on!

I don't see how a factory is any worse (should be better) than a depleted gravel mine. On top of that I assume Elon follows through in that they will plant trees etc.

Will they create 3x as many depleted gravel mines elsewhere to compensate ? ;)
You know like he pledged about trees for the Berlin site.

Because it was an open pit mine, there isn't much environment left on the site.

That, and the shotgunned all the anthills and bats there already. :p

Edit: Here, an animated rendition.

NBgt.gif

Last edited:
Battery Day...

The most exciting day in Tesla History

E. Musk

Tesla Terafactories

During the Q1 earnings call Elon spoke to Tesla’s next factories as “Terafactories.”

In their book “The History of English Spelling,” Christopher Upward and George Davidson describe the prefix TERA as being from the Greek word τέρας teras,meaning MONSTER.

Numerically, a TERA is a thousand GIGAs. Today, Tesla’s Reno Gigafactory has a FIFTY giga-watt-hour production capacity — at the pack level; providing battery pack capacity for up to 500,000 electric vehicles.

A Terafactory would represent a twenty-fold increase over the current FIFTY giga-watt-hour production rate at Reno. Applying simple math, a Terafactory would be able to supply the battery packs for 10,000,000 electric vehicles per year. That’s not Tera, that’s MONSTER.

Ten Million Electric Vehicles

Battery Day will almost certainly reveal improvements in energy density, in cost reductions, in battery life, and in MONSTER production capacity.

The new Kato Road battery-production line will be concrete “proof of concept.” A quantum leap in production capacity, a new Terafactory will spell the path to ten million electric vehicles per year. A MONSTER change.

Not much in the way of any resources for a manufacturing company like Tesla.

You’re either being purposely obtuse right now or are ignorant. Tesla was a different company when G1 was announced. What Nevada provided was a can do attitude and lickety split timing at a price Tesla could sort of afford. Part of the Nevada deal was that Tesla would invest in the schooling of future tech students. The Reno area was also still recovering from 2008 at that time and they were willing to bend over backwards to attract new business to the area. Real estate was also still quite low priced at the time. While the eventual outcome may not currently be what was envisioned, that factory has been significant in getting Tesla to this point. You’re welcome.

Pick another tree to bark at. There is no squirrel in the Austin land tree.

The new Kato Road battery-production line will be concrete “proof of concept.” A quantum leap in production capacity, a new Terafactory will spell the path to ten million electric vehicles per year. A MONSTER change.
His comments on the actual car assembly lines were also interesting. "we could see a 100% or even 1000% increase in speed". (paraphrased)
Pick another tree to bark at. There is no squirrel in the Austin land tree.
Lots of bats though. The famous bat bridge is pretty cool. I got to see it from a lounge chair by the pool at the hotel there. Great view.