Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been wondering, what is "dry powder" a metaphor for?
cocaine to get hyped up before making a purchase
gun powder
flour to bake the tendies
something else?
"Trust in God and keep your powder dry" is a maxim attributed to Oliver Cromwell, but whose first appearance in print was in 1834 in the poem "Oliver's Advice" by William Blacker, with the words "Put your trust in God, my boys, and keep your powder dry!"

quote-keep-your-faith-in-god-but-keep-your-powder-dry-oliver-cromwell-6-75-47.jpg

I just learned this recently. It is gun powder. Dry because it will ignite and explode any moment.

'Keep your Powder dry' because wet powder won't burn in a musket (black-powder muzzle-loading fire-arm). Wet powder gets you overrun by Zulu warriors. ;)

Last edited:
The
So, what, 5K per year then? Should oughta be enough to beat the Cadillac RyrLiq :p

This is going to be a disaster for everyone except Tesla. The auto industry went 80 years without new competitors and now they're popping up all over the place, and it's happening right when everyone has to shift their entire business to EVs.

On topic of ships,
Tesla Carriers - Google Drive showing 12 ships on track for Q3. With China doing their own production, this would be huge IMO. ~ cheers!!

I prefer not to post anecdotal information; but, I keep running across Tesla car carriers on I5 in Santa Clarita California. Along with the hard shipping evidence, we’re headed for a great quarter.

Battery Day followed by Q3 P&D. I LIKE it.

Rich Smith of The Motley Fool is accusing Tesla of filing a frivolous lawsuit against Rivian because Rivian's truck can do a 'tank turn'. Apparently tank turns somehow helps with parallel parking (??) and therefore Tesla is unlawfully seeking to end the whole Rivian tank parking threat..

You Stole My Employees! Tesla's Allegations Spark Lawsuit Against Rivian | The Motley Fool

'Perhaps it's because Rivian is looking like the kind of competitor that could accelerate a bit faster than Tesla is comfortable with. Rivian's R1T prototype, after all, made quite a stir last year when it showed off a "tank turn" feature permitting the truck to steer all four wheels independently so as to spin around a stationary point. That's a trick Tesla has yet to duplicate, and it's something that would be very helpful in parallel parking, I imagine.'

'This lawsuit could be just the kind of convenient speed bump Tesla needs to slow Rivian's roll while Tesla gets its own electric truck ready for sale.'

Honestly, if my CYBRTRCK can tank turn I wouldn’t be disappointed, but I won’t ever need it. If I want to parallel park and can’t manage with my uber driving skills, I can literally just make my own spot and won’t be worrying about dents or scratches. ;)

So I've been wondering, what is "dry powder" a metaphor for?
cocaine to get hyped up before making a purchase
gun powder
flour to bake the tendies
something else?
Gun powder for flintlock type firearms. You have to keep the powder in a separate container because there were no cartridges. You then poured the powder into the barrel of the gun dropped in the ball and rammed a paper to keep everything from falling out the end. Keeping the powder dry was a big issue.

Reactions: capster
Survey: More Than Half of Tech Employees ‘Dread’ Work Each Morning

"An early August survey of 2,000 employees from Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Google and other large American companies found 56% of them “dread work every morning,” owing largely to issues that stem from the coronavirus pandemic.

Employees at Facebook (78%), VMware (74%), Oracle (73%), PayPal (73%), Intuit (71%) and Amazon (68%) were most likely to dread work, according to the survey. Among tech companies, employees at Cisco (42%), Tesla (43%) and Uber (46%) were least likely to experience the same dread prior to work each day."

Every time I think "Can Facebook suck any harder?" they outdo themselves.

Good to see Tesla at the bottom of the list.

Certainly the pandemic has a lot to do with it, but take that out of the equation and I’m not convinced the percentages change that much. Why would Tesla be so much lower? We know working at Tesla is an all-in prospect with often an imbalance of work to family ratio. I say it’s culture and having a real life important mission.

I’m not familiar with Cisco culture and mission, but certainly there’s a thing to be said about being your own boss, making your own hours, doing something you like to do like drive and socialize that would put Uber low on the list.

Reactions: SpaceCash
A perhaps interesting datapoint for Tesla battery day.

Tesla Powerwalls are in extreme short supply, and even California installers who are installing 120 + units per quarter have no supply, its been this way near 2 months now.

This is in my mind likely related to the battery day announcement. I wouldn't be surprised to a see a new PW3 with new million mile cell chemistry available by then.