Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On and on about options impact, I find nothing lately on the company. Tells me most are hoping for more damage to shorts bc the split, or concerned for their own options maybe. Sure I'll take that boost if it occurs, but we are still down IMO, and I expect the same until about 3 days before battery day. That's the real event.

Is anyone here actually in shares only? I think we heard from one is all. This is what ppl said was causing the price surge last few weeks... nobody is selling Shares. But I dont get that impression here lately.

In HODL mode, this split adds nothing of long value to me. Just noise from this ongoing battle. The attacks continue and we could easily see 1300's again ahead of battery day. (Oh, I'm going to catch *sugar* now, let 'er rip).

I'm a buy and hold. Never sold a share. Never done anything with options.

I very much miss how this thread was full of analysis and information rather than quips, speculation, and stretching to interpret hidden meaning into everything Tesla does and Elon says. If the old crew started a secret place where they still hold those discussions, I'd very much like an invite.

Martin Marietta materials has 2 plants on the site of Tesla Giga Austin,
is providing aggregate and fill dirt.

The company is a supplier of aggregates and heavy building materials, with operations spanning 26 states, Canada and the Caribbean.

Ticker symbol of MLM

Has a market cap of $13.83B

And (is another company u never heard of that is) in the S&P 500 index

Home - Martin Marietta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Marietta_Inc.View attachment 575393 View attachment 575395

They did a bit more than that. They also sold Tesla the entire site. It's only right that they should fix the damage they did on the site by supplying all the stuff Tesla needed to fix that damage they'd already caused. IMHO, the supply and earthmoving activities were probably included with the purchase deal, possibly another contract, possibly included in the purchase price. It would be interesting to know.

That's actually not true. Every time the SP changes the value of your stock will be changed by the change amount times your number of shares. You'll have five times the shares, so five times the amount of change.

If you look at the company from a market cap perspective rather than a share price perspective (which we really should all be doing), there is literally no difference.

Reactions: wipster and Tim S
Yes, dividends have to be taxed as dividends.

So how much tax will you owe on a dividend of $0? ;)

Or alternatively, on a dividend of the cash value of each share ($0.001). ;)

You are assuming that the tax authorities will act rationally. They might just as well assign as the dividend value the stock value of the day the dividend stocks are in your posession (i.e. 31.8)

Let be me clear, I'm not an expert in this field, but worried about how this will affect me (Finland). From what I understand I would have to pay as follows:

Based on
Taxation of dividends in kind

4 new shares as dividend, average price on 31.8 $300. That is $1200 is considered dividend.... and the dividen tax is 30%. So basically 30% dividend tax on $1200 euro.... I think the Finnish tax code is pretty clear, or is it something I'm missing?

Yes, dividends have to be taxed as dividends.

So how much tax will you owe on a dividend of $0? ;)

Or alternatively, on a dividend of the cash value of each share ($0.001). ;)

In the above case - you are 100% right.

However, the mechanism of taxation is not as simple as that in some countries under certain accounts. I wish it was.

We are completely on the same page that the total value of the stock has not changed pre- and post split in the eyes of the shareholder ie 1 X1500 & 5X300 both = $1500. The trouble is how the technicality of the tax code is applied to the word "dividend" in countries outside the US.

Below is my - admittedly non-accountant understanding of this:

For example in Canada we have a TFSA account that allows capital gains to grow tax free, once the money is in the account. For regular retirement accounts (RRSP but not TFSA) Canada has a tax treaty with the US that is in place for anything called a dividend, where the US government withholds 15% of the "dividend", but it is recoverable / recovered to the Canadian taxpayer - so the net result is zero.

for TFSA accounts, the 15% US withholding tax is not recoverable - this is what some fear could result in net taxation. FWIW - TFSA accounts don't tax capital gains - but they also don't allow you to offset losses either.

So even though there is no net change to the total pie pre and post stock split - the word "dividend" could trigger this weird tax event for people in a number of countries.

Im looking for some concrete evidence that this would not be the case. i.e a past similar stock ? or a CRA bulletin ?(our equivalent to the IRS) bulletin.

I am hoping to find some concrete evidence that Im wrong on this - otherwise I would need to take steps with my shares to solve for this.

Of course - Not advice, and I invite evidence based corrections to my understanding of this.

Last edited:
<enter hundreds of TMC posters telling you to put in a sell order at $3.000 to prevent your shares being borrowed>

(note to those TMC posters: with Belgian brokers your shares can by default not be lent out. You have to allow your broker to do this explicitly and you receive some intrest fees for it)

I never bothered to do that. Although I find it tempting to earn some interest from shorters. I didn’t know that Belgian brokers support this.
I checked my transaction history and found no similar split, so I mailed Keytrade for info on how this split will be handled.

To be fair, I think they were simply pointing out that a stock split has absolutely zero impact on the fundamentals & operations of a company. A stock split simply changes the amount of shares issued with a company receiving zero new capital from it.
There a lot of people who seem to be trading based on uneducated guesses and tribal anecdotes. These could become lambs headed for the slaughter

Sure I'll take that boost if it occurs, but we are still down IMO, and I expect the same until about 3 days before battery day.

I can tell a lot about an investors state of mind from statements like this.

We are still down? It's not helpful to measure the stock price relative to the highest spike, especially when the context of the rest of your post is on the long-term value of the company. That ignores that a high-growth company like TSLA is going to have a lot of volatility on the way up. It's natural. Look at the 200 day moving average and tell me "we are still down".

I feel like we are still up. ;)

Although in one sense you are correct, this is not going to be the actual situation. As a shareholder I would be very angry if my $1500 in value was not available to me between the two dates because I had to wait for the dividend shares to be issued. I am confident that my broker has some sort of trick that keeps my whole $1500 continuously available. Something like "broker-backed promissory shares" will be added to my account on the first date.

You being angry does not have any merit. The value of your shares is never "available to you" at any one moment.
You want to get some cash? You need to first find a buyer that is willing to give you that exact amount of cash.

Shares sold/bought on 21st will come with a promise "you get another 4" in a week time, shares sold/bought on 24th will not. This fact instantly devalues them in the eyes of buyers that will thus be willing to pay only 1/5 of the last price.
Who will be willing to sell at 1/5 of the price? Next to nobody.

I suspect the trading during last week will pretty much vanish.

I never bothered to do that. Although I find it tempting to earn some interest from shorters. I didn’t know that Belgian brokers support this.
I checked my transaction history and found no similar split, so I mailed Keytrade for info on how this split will be handled.

In any case, personal trading accounts are not taxed in Belgium, or are dividends an exception?

• Disagree
Reactions: jeewee3000
I'm just a simple buy-and-hold investor, so I'll leave the implications to you experts. Obviously I'm in favor of screwing the shortzes. If that turns out to be the case here, any chance Elon was intentionally sticking it to Cable Car?

Bloomberg Ex-employee Lawsuit (sorry if repost)

This is the small time hedge fund short seller guy funding Martin Tripp.

upload_2020-8-12_13-25-47.png

According to Cable Car's ADV:

https://reports.adviserinfo.sec.gov/reports/ADV/169234/PDF/169234.pdf

He has 9 HNW and 2 funds investing a total of ~17 million.

upload_2020-8-12_13-18-20.png

Funding Martin Tripp through KAKAPO

upload_2020-8-12_13-19-50.png

Lists only one employee, but two controlling persons

upload_2020-8-12_13-22-48.png

And just because it was funny:

upload_2020-8-12_13-24-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-12_13-13-49.png
    upload_2020-8-12_13-13-49.png
    483 KB · Views: 48